Grooming Question

Old November 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default Grooming Question

The rescue is holding a dog wash in a couple of weeks as a fundraiser. I
have volunteered Rajesh and myself to help out, and have a question. I am
pretty sure that I can handle regular shampoo/conditioner/brushing out and
drying. What I am concerned about are breeds with wiry coats or
non-shedding coats that don't get brushed out in the traditional sense (I'm
guessing it isn't the same as brushing out your average Lab or GR). Any
tips or tricks for brushing/combing out these guys? I line brush Khan from
time to time and know how to do that. Is that the sort of combing I should
expect to do?

Suja

Old November 18th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Suja wrote:
The rescue is holding a dog wash in a couple of weeks as a fundraiser. I
have volunteered Rajesh and myself to help out, and have a question. I am
pretty sure that I can handle regular shampoo/conditioner/brushing out and
drying. What I am concerned about are breeds with wiry coats or
non-shedding coats that don't get brushed out in the traditional sense (I'm
guessing it isn't the same as brushing out your average Lab or GR). Any
tips or tricks for brushing/combing out these guys? I line brush Khan from
time to time and know how to do that. Is that the sort of combing I should
expect to do?

Conditioner? I've always shampooed and brushed my dogs. I've never
used a conditioner on a dog and don't know what it's for. While I know
this leaves me open to jokes about sexual identity, this one is a
serious question.

--Lia

Old November 19th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Julia Altshuler wrote:

Suja wrote:

[...]

My first job was shampooing and blow-drying poodles. We used
conditioner on dogs in full show coat to avoid breaking the hair while
blowing/brushing out. It took a lot longer to get them fully, totally
and completely dry after using conditioner but it seemed to keep both
coat and skin healthier - less breaking and flaking.

There were a couple of males in full show cuts who had extremely thick,
dense coats. And, to add insult to injury, they had ears full of waxy,
curly hair that needed plucking, and that were always sensitive and
right on the borderline of being inflamed by the time they came to me..
Seeing Monty or Todd on my schedule would make my heart sink.

Old November 19th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message:

Conditioner? I've always shampooed and brushed my dogs. I've never
used a conditioner on a dog and don't know what it's for.

I've used it on Khan. His hair is kinda coarse and hard to work with, and
this makes it easier to brush out afterwards.

I mis-spoke a little when I called it a conditioner, BTw. Officially, it's
creme rinse. Also, we're supposed to finish up with a finishing mist.
Damned if I know what that's for. Sounds like it's some kinda doggie
perfume.

Suja

Old November 19th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Suja wrote:

I mis-spoke a little when I called it a conditioner, BTw. Officially, it's
creme rinse.

Damn. If there was no sexual conotation to hair conditioner before,
there is now.

--Lia

Dog grooming herself? none Dog behavior 5 September 25th 07 08:01 PM
Dog grooming rjgroomer Dog health 1 May 24th 06 02:39 PM
Grooming Mark Shaw Dog behavior 15 November 12th 05 04:52 PM
new puppy grooming question bizby40 Dog behavior 9 July 12th 05 06:45 PM
Question on Grooming Crocker Spaniard. Jim B Dog health 0 February 27th 05 05:01 AM