Best Dog Treat EVAR!

Old November 18th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

Default Best Dog Treat EVAR!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2043870008/

Harriet just about lost her mind waiting for me to pull these off the
dryer trays. They are damnfinetasty, yes, but I have no idea why they
are so appealing to her.

By the time I'm done with this project, I'll have about 1 1/2 gallons
of dried pear slices. That's a *lot* of snacks.

--
Shelly
Old November 18th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2043870008/

Harriet just about lost her mind waiting for me to pull these off the
dryer trays. They are damnfinetasty, yes, but I have no idea why they
are so appealing to her.

By the time I'm done with this project, I'll have about 1 1/2 gallons
of dried pear slices. That's a *lot* of snacks.

I made pumpkin and sweet potatoes into a fruit leather type treat for the
poodles. They were very, very pleased. Harriet might enjoy some pear fruit
leather.

For my stuff, all I did to make the stuff was cook and mash. I didn't add
anything else to it.

Old November 18th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Shelly" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2043870008/

Harriet just about lost her mind waiting for me to pull these off the
dryer trays. They are damnfinetasty, yes, but I have no idea why they
are so appealing to her.

By the time I'm done with this project, I'll have about 1 1/2 gallons
of dried pear slices. That's a *lot* of snacks.

LOL, I love pears too. She has excellent taste.

Old November 18th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Shelly" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2043870008/

I didn't even look at the picture before I responded - those look WONDERFUL.

Old November 18th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Shelly wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2043870008/

Harriet just about lost her mind waiting for me to pull these off the
dryer trays. They are damnfinetasty, yes, but I have no idea why they
are so appealing to her.

snip

I don't know. Mine drool and quiver over Sunkist Cherry Essence Prunes.
I love them too. I'd rather have those than just about any kind of
candy but overindulgence carries its own penalty.

I allow myself one snack-sized 60-calorie packet per day and I've taken
to hiding them in my pocket and retreating to the bedroom and closing
the door behind me so I can enjoy them without enduring pleading stares
and subvocal, quavering, prune-deprived whimpering.

Old November 19th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

MauiJNP wrote:

I made pumpkin and sweet potatoes into a fruit leather type treat for the
poodles. They were very, very pleased. Harriet might enjoy some pear fruit
leather.

Why would that be preferable to just plain dried, sliced pears?

For my stuff, all I did to make the stuff was cook and mash. I didn't add
anything else to it.

That's sounds like more work than just slicing and drying. I can
understand why you'd need to go to the trouble with pumpkin, but why
bother with sweet potatoes or fruit? Or did you start with canned
sweet potatoes?

--
Shelly
Old November 19th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

On Nov 18, 6:53 pm, Kathleen wrote:

I allow myself one snack-sized 60-calorie packet per day and I've taken
to hiding them in my pocket and retreating to the bedroom and closing
the door behind me so I can enjoy them without enduring pleading stares
and subvocal, quavering, prune-deprived whimpering.

Wow! I'm not a prune eater, but that's just plain prejudice on my
part, as I'm not sure I've even ever tried one. I'll try to keep an
open mind if the opportunity presents itself.

--
Shelly
Old November 19th 07, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

On Nov 18, 4:07 pm, "Beth In Alaska"
wrote:

I didn't even look at the picture before I responded - those look WONDERFUL.

Thanks! They are like candy, with just a hint of tartness from the
lime dip. I'm not normally a huge fan of dried fruit, but pears and
bananas (gawd, are those ever ugly when dried) are delicious.

Right now, I'm trying to resist eating the Asian pears I bought.
Their crispety crunch and translucent skin keep calling to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/2044881922/

--
Shelly
Old November 19th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Shelly wrote:

On Nov 18, 6:53 pm, Kathleen wrote:

I allow myself one snack-sized 60-calorie packet per day and I've taken
to hiding them in my pocket and retreating to the bedroom and closing
the door behind me so I can enjoy them without enduring pleading stares
and subvocal, quavering, prune-deprived whimpering.

Wow! I'm not a prune eater, but that's just plain prejudice on my
part, as I'm not sure I've even ever tried one. I'll try to keep an
open mind if the opportunity presents itself.

Thinking of them as dried plums instead of prunes may also be helpful.

The dried nectarines are yummy as well. When I can keep myself from
just munching them down plain I like to snip them up with kitchen shears
and simmer them with a can of water-packed sour red pie cherries, adding
brown sugar to taste. Makes a great pie filling, or a side dish to
serve instead of applesauce.

Old November 19th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

On Nov 19, 8:39 am, Kathleen wrote:

Thinking of them as dried plums instead of prunes may also be helpful.

I noticed that Sunsweet has been trying that one.

The dried nectarines are yummy as well. When I can keep myself from
just munching them down plain I like to snip them up with kitchen shears
and simmer them with a can of water-packed sour red pie cherries, adding
brown sugar to taste. Makes a great pie filling, or a side dish to
serve instead of applesauce.

Ooooh. No, can't do cherries. Nectarines, though, I like. The only
problem with them (and with prunes, I'd assume) is that most of the
brands available at grocery stores contain sulfites, which give me
asthma.

--
Shelly

Over-treat vs. under-treat Chris Dog behavior 33 June 10th 04 02:20 PM
Over-treat vs. under-treat Chris Dog behavior 0 June 9th 04 07:12 PM
Over-treat vs. under-treat Chris Dog behavior 0 June 9th 04 07:12 PM
yummy dog treat Judy Dog behavior 4 May 17th 04 07:24 PM
Iteresting dog treat Rae O'Malley Dog behavior 0 April 6th 04 07:39 AM