So She's a Drama Queen

Old November 20th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Default So She's a Drama Queen

Usually, Pan starts off sleeping on her bed, and eventually migrates up to
our bed, some time in the middle of the night. On Sunday night, Rajesh
decided that it had to stop. When she asked to be let up on the bed, he
told her to go sleep in her own. She tried a few times, gave up, and went
to sleep on her bed.

On Monday morning, she wouldn't "talk" to him - just lay there with her head
between her feet, and wouldn't even look at him. She was fine during the
day with me, but when he came home for lunch, she went straight upstairs and
stayed in bed. He went upstairs to check up on her, and she wouldn't give
him the time of day. He tried bribing her with cookies, and while she ate
them, it wasn't with the usual gusto, and she went back upstairs as soon as
it was over. Last night, she wouldn't greet him at the door. He finally
took out the ice cream, and she wouldn't even get off the couch to grab her
share. He eventually offered her the empty carton to lick as a peace
offering, and asked her to get in bed when he went to bed.

All is well this morning. I think he's relieved she is back to drooling for
his coffee cake.

Suja

Old November 20th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

"Suja" wrote in
:

[...]

As I started reading this, I was thinking "but Rajesh is such a pushover
-- surely he will win her over" -- and I was right! Pan's just a
sensitive girl. It's interesting that she would let it go on so long,
that she would remember it throughout the day. We usually think of dogs
as living in the moment, and if the moment involves treats, all is
forgiven.

I'm glad she regained her rightful place on the bed, although I'm sure
having a Great Dane jump on your bed in the middle of the night is an
interesting experience. It's a good thing the other dog is hairy or he'd
be up there too, and you'd need a special sized bed!

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes
Old November 20th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"ceb" wrote in message:

As I started reading this, I was thinking "but Rajesh is such a pushover
-- surely he will win her over" -- and I was right!

I knew he'd cave. She knew he'd cave. He's probably the only one that
didn't know right from the start, how this one will turn out.

Pan's just a
sensitive girl.

If they gave out Oscars for 'Best acting for a dog in real life', I'd be
writing her acceptance speech now. You should've seen just how terribly put
out she was.

It's interesting that she would let it go on so long,
that she would remember it throughout the day.

I was surprised by that. The more he tried to make friends with her, the
more she became all 'Woe is me!'. She basically spent the whole time he was
around, either curled up in a ball or with her head wedged between her front
paws, avoiding all eye contact.

We usually think of dogs
as living in the moment, and if the moment involves treats, all is
forgiven.

I was very, very surprised when she reacted to treats the way she did. She
is seriously food motivated, so I know it must've taken a lot of self
control. Mind you, she didn't turn down the treats. She's no dummy.

I'm glad she regained her rightful place on the bed, although I'm sure
having a Great Dane jump on your bed in the middle of the night is an
interesting experience.

She's reasonably delicate about getting on the bed, especially given her
size. First, she'll sit and whine, and if I don't react quickly enough,
give paw. Then, she'll put her head and neck on the bed. Once she finds a
spot that is empty enough to fit her head and neck, she'll put her front
legs up, haul her rear up, circle around a couple of times, and lie down
with a big thud.

It's a good thing the other dog is hairy or he'd
be up there too, and you'd need a special sized bed!

I've maintained that my next 'dog bed' is going to be a regular twin sized
bed that I will just butt up against our bed. Should be able to accommodate
at least two dogs and any visiting dogs that way.

Suja

Old November 21st 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

"ceb" wrote in message:

As I started reading this, I was thinking "but Rajesh is such a pushover
-- surely he will win her over" -- and I was right!

I knew he'd cave. She knew he'd cave. He's probably the only one that
didn't know right from the start, how this one will turn out.

Men. We're like that sometimes.

She's reasonably delicate about getting on the bed, especially given her
size. First, she'll sit and whine, and if I don't react quickly enough,
give paw. Then, she'll put her head and neck on the bed. Once she finds a
spot that is empty enough to fit her head and neck, she'll put her front
legs up, haul her rear up, circle around a couple of times, and lie down
with a big thud.

That's how my friend's dog Buddy (a lab) does it, too, except he skips
the whining and pawing part.

I've maintained that my next 'dog bed' is going to be a regular twin sized
bed that I will just butt up against our bed. Should be able to accommodate
at least two dogs and any visiting dogs that way.

Ooh! Now that's a good idea! The only problem I can see is the hoomins
ending up on the twin bed while the dogs take over the real bed.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old November 21st 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Suja" wrote in message

[...]

It always bugs the hell out of me when friends of mine who don't have dogs
say 'dogs don't have feelings'.

Way to go Pan, you played him like a fiddle.

td

Old November 21st 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

All is well this morning. I think he's relieved she is back to drooling
for
his coffee cake.

I love stories like this, they are good fun to read and laugh thru.

Old November 21st 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_2_]

"Suja" wrote in message
(snip)
All is well this morning. I think he's relieved she is back to drooling

for
his coffee cake.

Suja

That's got to be the best dog pout I've heard about. Jake has a pretty good
pout, it involves curling up in a ball and facing the wall, but he doesn't
have the stamina that Pan does.
Karla

Old November 21st 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Great pout! Tika used to go into a pout if she was accidentally
hurt - like getting her toenail caught on a sweater. She'd hide
under the bed for a couple of hours, turning her back on me if I
tried to entice her out.

But Pan! what an act!

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old November 21st 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"filly" wrote in message:

That's got to be the best dog pout I've heard about. Jake has a pretty

good
pout, it involves curling up in a ball and facing the wall, but he doesn't
have the stamina that Pan does.

I've also known dogs that pout. For instance, Khan's buddy and Pan's
nemesis Isabelle does this every time she is picked up after being at the
kennel. As big a drama queen as she is, even she does not carry it this
far. Rajesh actually thought that Pan was sick, and wanted us to take her
to the emergency vet - that's how good she is.

What is interesting to me is that it has taken 3 years for us to see this
side of her. She wouldn't dare pull this crap on me, and I guess Rajesh has
never put his foot down with her before. He did try and talk me into
telling her to stay on her own bed, but I just rolled my eyes. I'm not
playing bad cop here - I'm totally okay with having her curled up next to
me.

Suja

Old November 26th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Suja wrote:
[...]

This question has been mulling in my brain for a week: What's going on?

From time to time, someone will write saying that they're sure their
dog is getting revenge when he pees on the carpet. Or they'll say that
their dog feels guilty for getting on the couch. We're quick to give
alternative explanations for the behaviors, ones that don't involve
ascribing higher emotions to dogs.

So what gives? What explains Pan's behavior in the above? It sure
sounds like she was holding a grudge or manipulating Rajesh. Do dogs do
that? What else explains it?

--Lia

Miss Harriet Brown, Queen of Bones shelly Dog behavior 8 August 18th 05 03:17 PM
she's here Janet B Dog behavior 3 February 25th 05 03:08 PM
And now she's 4 misty Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:54 PM
And now she's 4 misty Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:54 PM
She's Ba-a-a-ck... Deb Dog behavior 5 July 17th 03 01:55 AM