R.E.A.D. program

Old November 21st 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default R.E.A.D. program

I am doing the R.E.A.D. program
"http://www.tdi-dog.org/childrenreadingtodogs.htm" today in an elementary
school with both Tuck and Reka.
Our students assigned to us were low performance readers encouraging them to
read to a dog rather than to a person where they may feel more inhibited and
embarrassed. Each student had 15 minutes, and brought their own book(s) that
they chose to read to the dog.
I was impressed with each student as they read. Yes, they had reading issues.
Some had issues keeping to the task. I finally told them, Tuck did tricks.
LOTS of tricks. And if they finished their reading assignment with time to
spare, Tuck would be glad to show his tricks with them, including basketball.
(Reka plays basketball too)
Everyone of those low performance kids with dedication to task issues
finished in time to play with the dogs. Teachers warned some of the children
were hyperactive and had poor focus, yet we saw no issues with any of them,
because they knew there would be good reward in exchange for buckling down
and reading to the dogs.
Old November 21st 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
I am doing the R.E.A.D. program
"http://www.tdi-dog.org/childrenreadingtodogs.htm" today in an elementary
school with both Tuck and Reka.
Our students assigned to us were low performance readers encouraging them
read to a dog rather than to a person where they may feel more inhibited
and
embarrassed. Each student had 15 minutes, and brought their own book(s)
that
they chose to read to the dog.

This is a silly program but if it works who am I to judge. And heck, it
sounds fun. Except I wonder if my dogs would listen for 15 minutes.

I was impressed with each student as they read. Yes, they had reading
issues.
Some had issues keeping to the task. I finally told them, Tuck did tricks.
LOTS of tricks. And if they finished their reading assignment with time
spare, Tuck would be glad to show his tricks with them, including
basketball.
(Reka plays basketball too)
Everyone of those low performance kids with dedication to task issues
finished in time to play with the dogs. Teachers warned some of the
children
were hyperactive and had poor focus, yet we saw no issues with any of
them,
because they knew there would be good reward in exchange for buckling down
and reading to the dogs.

Excellent. Even ADHD kids can hyperfocus at times, its just much harder for
them, although i expect that an exciting time like having a dog to read to,
and that would make it HARD to focus!!

Old November 21st 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
[...]

==========
That must have been fun for you; I would have loved to have seen that.

Old November 21st 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Diddy,
For years we did READ in our school (I coordinated it through the therapy
dog group I was involved in. - Jadee and her friends would come in to
school once a week. The kids loved it, they would save books to read to the
dogs. Kids who didn't want to read to me (their teacher) would beg to read
to the dogs. Kids who couldn't sit still would sit for amazing amounts of
time for the dogs. It was a fabulous program. It was a great motivator.
They would read for "Jadee bucks" in my class. When they had enough, I
would bring her in for the day. I would put her in her "place" in the front
of the room and release her to wander ever so often.... when they "got x
amount of work done." I rarely had behavior problems in those years.... the
kids chose to do what needed to be done so that Jadee could come in. She
would also visit the handicapped preschool and they captivated by her "hand
signals". The deaf kids thought that was great.

Granted, she's been gone for 7 years this January (sigh)..... and I'm still
teaching 2nd grade (sigh LOL)..... but I sure wish we could do it again.
Unfortunately, our school initiated a "no animal" policy due to allergies-
no class pets, unless they are fish..... no visitors, nothing. In fact,
it's so over the top that last year, when we had a program that our
principal brought in to combat the bullying problem, after the first show,
she told the performer that she didn't know he had a dog in his act and he
would need to remove it from the building due to the policy. This was a
miniture poodle that had NO interaction with the students - and was, at
most, 50 feet away from any child. 3rd grade used to have a "bring your
pet" show and tell day. Ironically, the student who complained about
allegies and was the basis for the "easy way out" policy was the one whose
parent complained the most the next year when he was in 3rd grade....
apparently he was "so looking forward to" bringing his DOG to school for
show and tell.

As a teacher, THANK YOU for volunteering for this wonderful program.

Sue and Atty (who wishes she could go to school to listen to the kids read)

Old November 21st 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
I am doing the R.E.A.D. program
"http://www.tdi-dog.org/childrenreadingtodogs.htm" today in an elementary
school with both Tuck and Reka.
Our students assigned to us were low performance readers encouraging them
read to a dog rather than to a person where they may feel more inhibited
and
embarrassed. Each student had 15 minutes, and brought their own book(s)
that
they chose to read to the dog.

This is a silly program but if it works who am I to judge. And heck, it
sounds fun. Except I wonder if my dogs would listen for 15 minutes.

Beth,
I'm not sure why you think this is a silly program, but studies and data
show it works. Please see my previous post to Diddy. I hope it gives you a
different point of view.

Dogs don't make fun of kids who don't know words, like their classmates do.
Cruel as it sounds (and as much as we talk to them about not doing it), it's
true. Kids pick on kids weaknesses. Try as we might to get them not to,
they still snicker when someone makes a mistake. These kids feel very
comfortable reading to the dogs - hence raising their reading ability and
confidence..

Sue and Atty

Old November 21st 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good for you, sounds like you and the kids had a great time! Good Reka and
Tuck too. It's amazing how well kids can respond to dogs.

td

Old November 21st 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
news

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

"diddy" none wrote in message
.. .
[...]

as I said, I'm glad it works. I still think its kind of a silly program.

Dogs don't make fun of kids who don't know words, like their classmates
do. Cruel as it sounds (and as much as we talk to them about not doing
it), it's true. Kids pick on kids weaknesses. Try as we might to get
them not to, they still snicker when someone makes a mistake. These kids
feel very comfortable reading to the dogs - hence raising their reading
ability and confidence..

Kids being mean to each other is a whole other topic.

Old November 21st 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

diddy wrote:
I am doing the R.E.A.D. program
"http://www.tdi-dog.org/childrenreadingtodogs.htm" today in an elementary
school with both Tuck and Reka.

Great story! the R.E.A.D. program is very well-regarded where I
live. The organization that checks out dogs for various therapy
programs (hospital visits, nursing homes, R.E.A.D. dogs, etc.)
says that the R.E.A.D. dog slots always get filled first.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old November 21st 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message
snip

Kids being mean to each other is a whole other topic.

Agreed there, for sure.

Even if they aren't doing it openly, some kids still feel as if their
classmates are silently laughing at them if they don't know something. If a
dog can bring out some confidence in that child and make them feel good
about their reading, the dog being there is a success. I have kids who
never volunteer to read in front of the class, and that is a shame.

Unfortunately, I spend quite a bit of my day dealing with the behavior of
some at the expense of the others, (and I won't get started about this! The
fact that I even need to discuss bullying with them infuriates me. We had
alot of their parents in school, and you know what... many of them were
bullies....make your own assumption... Ahhh... the joys of a utopian
society - what a nice place it would be.) Just think what I could
accomplish towards those state mandated NCLB tests if all I could spend all
my allotted academic block on academics! But in reality, they bring their
problems from home, the playground, the bus, the cafeteria...... and it
affects them, so it must be dealt with.

Regardless, I would love to be able to bring the dogs back into our school
to cuddle up and let the kids read to them (I saw good things from all
levels of kids when the dogs were there), but alas, our board has spoken
differently.

Sue and Atty

Old November 21st 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Sue and Atty wrote:

[...]

Gee, is there's a comparable M.A.T.H. dog program? Hubster is
teaching in a low-income high school and has great difficulty in
getting the kids to settle down. And most of them didn't learn
much math before they got to HS - adding fractions and the like.
I wonder if they'd be willing to "teach" math to a dog. Hmmm...

FurPaw