How do you know?

Old October 19th 03, 08:45 AM
Cin

Default How do you know?

Hi everyone, i just have a sad question to ask. How do you know when it is
time to put your dog to sleep? I think it is getting very close for my old
boy. He is 13 and over the last few weeks has just gone down hill so fast.
He is eating his own pooh, he has a problem and cant digest his food, i just
found a tumour on him (only small but has doubled size in a few days) he has
cancer in the belly and has other lumps all over him. He has arthritis and
never wants to go for walks anymore (a few months back he would go down two
or 3 houses and come home, it wasnt much but it was something).

Our other dog (3 year old bulldog) is fighting with him so much. We just got
him a new bed and corner to sleep in inside to make things a bit nice for
him.

We are going to the vets tomorrow to get the tumour looked at, he wants to
operate on him tomorrow. I am scared that he wont make it through the
operation, that he is just going to be in more pain then he is now.

Please, can someone tell me what they did in this situation? My boy is my
life and i dont want him to suffer anymore then he is.

I really wish dogs lived 80 years like us...

Cin

--
-------------------------------------

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ccollings/

We really never lose the ones we love...
They live forever within our hearts.

They say a man isn't dead unless he is forgotten, my brother will never be
forgotten

When a baby is born the angels weep and humans rejoice. When a loved one
dies, humans weep, but the angels rejoice."

Old October 19th 03, 12:47 PM
Guess Wh@-- U got Mail.!!!

Old October 19th 03, 01:29 PM
Lori Reynolds

I have read that you should think of your dog's 3 most favorite things in
the world. And when those things no longer interest him, it's time to let
him go.
--
Lori in Peoria, IL

Old October 19th 03, 02:30 PM

In article Tsvkb.178209$%h1.169362@sccrnsc02,
Lori Reynolds wrote:
I have read that you should think of your dog's 3 most favorite things in
the world. And when those things no longer interest him, it's time to let
him go.

My vet also suggested that when the dog has more bad days
than good days over the course of a week. I was keeping
both rules of thumb in mind with Greta, but in the end she
had one very bad day and it was clear that it was time.

The image is Adam Smith. The reality is Enron -- Joseph Stiglitz
Old October 19th 03, 04:18 PM
queenmother

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
My vet also suggested that when the dog has more bad days
than good days over the course of a week. I was keeping
both rules of thumb in mind with Greta, but in the end she
had one very bad day and it was clear that it was time.

Sometimes that is what it takes. Especially when you know that even if she
gets better tomorrow that it's still part of a downward spiral. I could see
this with our last schnauzer. He'd get somewhat better and we'd get
hopeful, then have a really bad day followed by a couple of days climbing
back up again. I could see that each bad day was a little worse than the
previous bad day and he just never climbed quite as far back each time.

I think that "very bad day" makes it just a little bit easier. Clearer,
anyway. I've had to take dogs that were just slowly losing ground. It's
harder to say "why today and not yesterday or tomorrow". But none of it is
easy.

~~Judy

Old October 19th 03, 06:12 PM
Rocky

Melinda Shore said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

My vet also suggested that when the dog has more bad days
than good days over the course of a week. I was keeping
both rules of thumb in mind with Greta, but in the end she
had one very bad day and it was clear that it was time.

With Murphy, it was also very obvious. I really feel for those
who have such a difficult time making the decision.

Old October 19th 03, 09:53 PM
Chicha

"Cin" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi, Cin!

Airdale Dolly died last year from apoplexy (she was 14 ) and was active
and fit till the first stroke (3-4 monthes before death). This happened
on the day we moved to new apartment.

The last stroke get on her really hard. She could not get up,
barely recognized us, were in pain and fear. When I helped her to get up,
she started to move in circles, stumbling and bumping into furniture.
I cleaned her and groomed and gave her some Irish Cream -- she loved sweet
liquers my baby -- and we sat on the floor and cried and drunk for a while
till she went to sleep.
Next morning I got her to our vet and let her passed away.RIP.

I say that when dog can not get up without your help and
there is no hope that he/she would that is the time.

Loosing control on excreta is big reason,too and combination
of these is just unbearable for dog and owner.

Dolly has half her breast resected at the age of 8.

When she was 13 she got tumors one like a wallnut in size and consistency
and another like small jelly lump.

Vet suggested not to operate cause they was't painful and she was weak.
She died one year after.

I wish you strength to make right decision.

Chicha.
Old October 20th 03, 02:33 AM
Cin

We told the vet we didnt want the operation. We got him checked over, put him on some new meds and some better shampoo for his coat and a few different things added to his food.
We love him too much to put him through the pain of the operation. Thanks for replying

Cin

"Guess Wh@-- U got Mail.!!!" wrote in message ...
So sorry about your dog. I had to put my dog Thorndyke to sleep back in
1998. She was only 4 years 4 months & 4 days old but she all of a sudden
got bone cancer in her skull. We loved her so much. We didn't hesitate
after we saw the x-rays & I got the reassurance from my vet that there's
no cure & nothing to ease the pain & it'll be over in less then 25
seconds. Don't let your pet suffer & stay with her through the whole
thing. Talk soft to her tell her you love her. That has to be painful &
even if u decided to put her through more exams? and more meds or
whatever? There's no guarantee your pet will make it.

Chicopee,Mass/Thomas J O'Connor Regional Area Dog Control Unit
ThingZ I'm Saving

Old October 20th 03, 02:35 AM
Cin

With Murphy, it was also very obvious. I really feel for those
who have such a difficult time making the decision.

I know it is going to be hard when it comes, but i know we will do it for
him. The vet said he is doing far better then he thought (he actually said
he thought he would be dead by now) Zues is happy at the moment, the first
sign of pain we will have another think about our, well his, options

Cin

Old October 20th 03, 02:36 AM
Cin

Thanks for replying.
I posted above that we decided not to get him operated on. We are just going
to look after him and keep him happy till he is in pain
cin

"Chicha" wrote in message
om...