german shepherd training?

Old January 11th 04, 03:13 AM
amber

Default german shepherd training?

I have read that shepherds need to have a job to do in order to be at
their happiest, but what exactly does this mean? I always jog with my
shepherd and I think he feels that that is his job, to jog with me,
but I wonder if that is enough. He constantly harasses our cat, and I
wonder if he is doing this out of boredom because he doesn't have any
other "job". Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amber
Old January 11th 04, 03:24 AM
Rocky

amber said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

I have read that shepherds need to have a job to do in
order to be at their happiest, but what exactly does this
mean? I always jog with my shepherd and I think he feels
that that is his job, to jog with me, but I wonder if that
is enough. He constantly harasses our cat, and I wonder if
he is doing this out of boredom because he doesn't have any
other "job". Any thoughts?

My take on "job" is something that involves both physical and
mental stimulation. For example, jogging with your dog is
mostly physical, but agility or herding adds the mental exercise
also.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old January 11th 04, 02:23 PM
Garry Burgess

I had a german shepherd dog for 12 years, and my dog didn't have a job, but
i walked it every day, and it seemed to be enough. It would be nice if they
did have a job, but a pet is a pet, and it's hard to give your dog a job if
they don't have a job. My dog thought that her job was to clear the
backyard of those dangerous "bunnies" that might lurk there. And 99.99% of
the time these were only phantom bunnies. But sure enough, just when she
was napping, I'd see a REAL bunny lounging in the backyard. It was no sweat
anyway for the bunnies, since they could easily outrun my dog, and duck
under the fence to safety, but it gave my dog a sense of purpose.

Old January 12th 04, 05:58 AM
Jo Wolf

My friend who has a GSD considers running with him to be an adequate
job, but... He took the dog through obedience training to make sure
that the dog had good manners while out and about, and he practices
those skills weekly and is always teaching the dog something new...
tricks..... fetching things by name around the house...

Many dogs love agility, just for fun, if not for conformation....
obedience competition... therapy dog visits to all sorts of
institutions... herding for fun or competition.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 18th 04, 01:55 AM
Deana Hall

When I was training my German Shepherd to be a Seeing Eye Dog, she was
content in the "job" of learning basic obedience and in the job of being the
family pet/companion. Maybe teaching her/him a new trick every once in
awhile may stimulate her/his mental capacity!

Love,
Nina

wrote in message
My GSD's only "job" seems to be making me happy. We walk twice daily and
play together several times daily, too. She is content, happy and the
best dog I have every had.

Lisa

Old June 23rd 04, 07:04 AM
mr_ed

My German Shepherd has a job, keeping the deer out of my garden. Trouble is
he only works when I'm there, the rest of the time he just sleeps.
m...

Old July 9th 04, 06:32 PM
Andrea

"mr_ed" wrote in message ...
My German Shepherd has a job, keeping the deer out of my garden. Trouble is
he only works when I'm there, the rest of the time he just sleeps.
"amber" wrote in message
m...
I have read that shepherds need to have a job to do in order to be at
their happiest, but what exactly does this mean? I always jog with my
shepherd and I think he feels that that is his job, to jog with me,
but I wonder if that is enough. He constantly harasses our cat, and I
wonder if he is doing this out of boredom because he doesn't have any
other "job". Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Amber

This are high trainable dogs. Did you know if yours come from working
lines?

Sound nerves, alertness, self confidence, trainability, loyalty and as
well as courage, fighting drive and hardness, are the outstanding
characteristics of a German Shepherd Dog. They make his suitable to be
a superior working dog in general, and in particular to be a guard,
companion, protection and herding dog.The fist thing you need to do
with him, or the first job he will be pleased to do is undestanding
commands. Every exercise, every word he learn is the happiest job for
him. The basic obedience will be perfect for your german sherphard and
then you can think of other possible jobs (sports)for him.

Training a well-mannered dog is about leadership (yours) and respect
(his). If you want your dog to behave perfectly for someone else, have
someone else train him. If you want him to respond obediently to you,
YOU need to learn to manage him yourself. Earn your dog's respect by
being competent leader that he can look up to (to be attent looking
at you). He will automatically be more attentive and obedient. A
strong leader is exactly what a dog is looking for.

Andrea
http://www.youwager.com