Dog mating - can anyone help?

Old November 28th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
anon

Default Dog mating - can anyone help?

Hi,

I hope I am posting this in the right group. I have two non neutered
newfs, and believe they may have mated. (In case you are wondering
they are not neutered due to a possible mating in the future with the
agreement of my breeder).

My bitch came into season around 2 months ago and they were seperated
throughout this time, however I have been watching her closely as last
year she came back into season almost immediately after coming out of
season. However she has shown no signs of coming into season again
this time - no standing, no discharge, no attempt to mount my male
dog, and no interest from my male dog etc.

2 days ago we let the dogs into the garden whilst cooking dinner, when
we called them back in shortly afterwards my male's penis was erect
and stayed this way for around 10 minutes (i noticed because he was
unable to sit down). Once he recovered he was trying to mount her so I
have split them up. I now think she has been in season, as she is
standing for him whenever they are together.

I am concerned that she may be pregnant, and his 'state' was the
result of a tie that i did not witness. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Does this seem possible? Your help would be much appreciated.
Old November 28th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article
,
anon wrote:

2 days ago we let the dogs into the garden whilst cooking dinner, when
we called them back in shortly afterwards my male's penis was erect
and stayed this way for around 10 minutes (i noticed because he was
unable to sit down). Once he recovered he was trying to mount her so I
have split them up. I now think she has been in season, as she is
standing for him whenever they are together.

I am concerned that she may be pregnant, and his 'state' was the
result of a tie that i did not witness. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Does this seem possible? Your help would be much appreciated.

How long were they unsupervised in the garden?

--
Janet Boss
Old November 28th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
anon

10 - 15 mins
Old November 28th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article
,
anon wrote:

10 - 15 mins

certainly long enough (although toes often last longer) and pregnancy
can occur w/out a tie. What do your breeders and mentors suggest?

--
Janet Boss
Old November 28th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

Janet Boss wrote in news:janet-
:

although toes often last longer

I should certainly hope so!

--
Shelly
Old November 28th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

I should certainly hope so!

or even ties! ACK!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 28th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
anon

I haven't managed to get hold of the breeder yet (I think she may be
away as no reply). I don't want to call anyone else I know through her
who could advice me without speaking to her first. And mainly wanted
to check I actually could have reason to be concerned.

Although certainly not planned or ideal they are both good pedigree
and we had discussed mating them before - we know it would be a good
breeding. The bitch is 4 and the dog is 5, and both are healthy. I
have plenty of time to be here for her towards whelping date and
afterwards whilst the pups are here, and I would certainly follow my
breeders excellent example in securing good homes, staying in touch,
and being a helping hand whenever it is required. (Like I say this was
something we had discussed a few months ago). My main concern is this
is the first time I have been in this situation and am now going to
have to do some speedy reading and research if she is pregnant. (Plus
i'm the worst midwife ever - we had a stray cat that had kittens and I
had to leave the room as i was in such a panic! Hence the reason the
stray was neutered shortly afterwards!).

Anyway i'm off to Amazon to buy some books. As far as I can see I
should be taking her to the vets after approx 3 weeks to arrange a
scan so we can find out. For now I can continue to feed her the same,
but may have to increase the number of meals later on, plus change her
food to puppy food. Then all I have to do is find a birthing partner
to keep myself calm!

Thanks for your help, and the line about the toes which made me smile
for the first time today!