(New here) I just got my first dog, a Pekingese... and accidentally got 2!

Old November 14th 04, 04:55 PM
Naturally Blonde

Default (New here) I just got my first dog, a Pekingese... and accidentally got 2!

Hi,
I just got my first dog, and think I have everything I need:
Water/Food bowl, food, carrier/crate, treats, hairbrush, flea shampoo,
collar, and leash.
I had told my friend Pam that I would consider getting a dog only if it were
a mini-poodle, a yorkie, or a pekingese. Not a puppy. I'm moving to NY from
the south, and don't know that many people... will be living in a fenced
duplex, and so I thought that a dog would keep me company and MAKE me get
out and be a little social. More social than a parrot in the winter (I have
a large cockatoo).
The Humane Society just happened to have a cross between a Pekingese and a
Yorkie. He fell in love with me. They'd had it for a few days and said he
hadn't barked the whole time. I took him out, and his idea of exercise is
apparently walking to the far edge of the play yard to take a poo, and then
jumping on my lap to get petted. I've heard that Pekingese were bred to be
lapdogs, and Max apparently takes more after that than the terrier in him.
I had JUST signed the papers adopting him. They were getting ready to close.
I have to pick him up from getting neutered on Tuesday. I was walking out.
A lady walks up with a Pekingese in her arms. They told her it was after
hours and they couldn't take it.
I opened my big mouth. The lady dropped her dog and left before I could ask
any questions or think twice.
Needless to say, after I pick Max up from the spay/neuter clinic on Tuesday,
I will have plural pekingese.
This new dog, Alex has been severely spoiled.
I had some friends over after I got him some stuff and he knows tricks. He
is potty trained and can walk, beg, sit, stay, and knows "go for a walk". He
also cries alot. He cried last night in his crate next to my bed... but my
bird sleeps in bed with me.
He also hasn't eaten because apparently the middle of the road food I got
last night isn't good enough for him. The lady who abandoned him as I was
walking out gave me no info or anything.
He's a little hyper, and I think he may have some spaniel blood in him or
still be a puppy. He weighs 15 lbs, which is big for a pekingese. Alex also
is very interested in my bird and wants to chase it.
Apparently, he's not been walked very much and been used to having a fenced
yard. Great coat.

.... anyway- I'm excited! I've never had a dog of my own, and after tuesday
I'll have 2!

Old November 14th 04, 08:57 PM
Dreamspinner3

What kind of bird do you have? It is dangerous to sleep with a bird
in your bed--you could roll over on it & kill it. I own five parrots
and would never sleep in bed with any of them.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:55:00 GMT, "Naturally Blonde"
wrote:

but my bird sleeps in bed with me.

-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Old November 14th 04, 09:44 PM
Tee

"Naturally Blonde" wrote in message
news

This new dog, Alex has been severely spoiled.
I had some friends over after I got him some stuff and he knows tricks. He
is potty trained and can walk, beg, sit, stay, and knows "go for a walk".
He also cries alot. He cried last night in his crate next to my bed... but
my bird sleeps in bed with me.

Its normal for a dog who isn't crate trained to cry at first. Its even
*more* normal for a dog who is a stranger in your house.

He also hasn't eaten because apparently the middle of the road food I got
last night isn't good enough for him.

I hope I'm reading attitude where none exists but did it occur to you that
he didn't eat because he's severely stressed? This dog is new to your home,
goes from his owners arms into yours and straight to your home. He doesn't
have a clue as to what's going on, why he's in your house, what your
expectations are, what the rules are, nothing. Give him 2-3 days to decide
when and how much to eat. When dogs get stressed it effects their stomachs
and this is his way of keeping himself from puking all over your house.

--
Tara

Old November 15th 04, 02:40 AM
Naturally Blonde

Thanks... that's what my mom and another friend said (about the food). I
didn't know they were so sensitive or took so long to acclimate. I got 3
kinds of dry food for him and 2 kinds of wet and alot of treats-- when I
wrote that I was feeling worried and (since he's so spoiled) a little
snubbed.
.... he is SOOO cute though... I can't wait to get him and the other one
clothes and take them out!
Just to clarify, My goffin's cockatoo unscrews his cage door and comes into
my bedroom at night or early in the morning. He sleeps on headboard next to
the alarm and has been doing this since he was a baby (if he were sleeping
under the covers I would seriously be worried of rolling over and stop the
behavior- but if I put him back in his cage he screams endlessly... and
since where he chooses to perch is nowhere I'm going to roll on, and the
apartment is cockatoo-proof, AND he is potty trained...). Sometimes he gets
money, keys, or credit cards out of my purse and brings them to me or sticks
his foot in my mouth to wake me up... I don't want to put a lock on his cage
because I am worried about if there was a fire that he couldn't be rescued.
He only gets out at night/early morning though (for the past 4 and a half
years anyway- since he learned and started the routine)... and I could SO
go on about Boo and this is a dog forum
Anyway- thanks for the advice,
Jessie

Old November 16th 04, 07:07 PM
Natalie Rigertas

Naturally Blonde wrote:
go on about Boo and this is a dog forum
Anyway- thanks for the advice,
Jessie

Just make sure your dogs are crated when Boo is out and you're not
supervising the both of them. Boo is likely a formidible opponent to the
little dogs, but that doesn't mean he won't be severely injured if he
shoudl get in their way. This is just dog/bird owner generic advice, and
not specific to your situation.

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old November 17th 04, 02:56 AM
jersey tomato

good luck with them both! You sound like you are wonderful with animals!
My brother who is almost 50 and a real playboy sleeps with his turtle
Max! I saw it for myself! Max sleeps on my brother's chest with his head
and neck all the way out! His vet was amazed at how extroverted this
turtle was!

No one knows the special bond between individuals and their animals. I
just hope that everyone on the planet experiences it at least once.

Anne in Jersey