An introduction...

Old November 29th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Steven Fisher

Default An introduction...

Well, since I've now officially posted here, I thought I might as well
post an introduction...

Hi! I'm Steve.

Um. Cough. What else is there to say? In retrospect, maybe posting an
introduction was a stupid idea...

I don't own a dog at the moment. I'm living vicariously through this
group. My wife doesn't want a dog, partially because we have a 6 mo
baby (a REALLY good reason) but also because she's only really met my
mom and dad's dogs:

- Buster, a Dalmatian who is, bluntly, 99% stomach by brain time. He
eats off of counters, scratches hardwood cabinets that may have food
behind them, and has been known to daintily eat kleenex one at a time
right out of the box.This has gotten even worse as a result of the
seizure medication he's on, but it was never very good to begin with.
- Dihgby, a Bichon Frisé who loves to pee on the side of the toilet,
crap in the hallway, bark with a shrillness that would wake the dead,
and smooth any sharp edges in the house with his teeth. And did I
mention that bark? Just thinking about it is making me cringe.

No, I'm not asking for help with those problems. I'm not their owner,
and I'm not there often enough to make a difference anyway. I don't
blame the breeds, either. But the examples of how dogs act in my life
suck, so I love reading good stories...

Old November 29th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_2_]

"Steven Fisher" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Steven, thanks for the introduction and welcome to the group. Sometimes
vicarious dog experiences are better than up-close and live, especially if
one member of the family is not 100% for dog ownership.

I'm Karla, and have two dogs. A female, six year old lab/chow, Ricki Lee,
and an almost two year old liver Dalmatian, Jake. I have a special interest
in Dal's, I dearly love the breed. That is not to short Ricki Lee, who is
very special in her own right. I adopted her after losing my heart dog, and
I couldn't have chosen better. She is my darling.

Ricki Lee and Jake are best friends and partners in crime. The fun only
stops when they are asleep.
Karla

Old November 30th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Steven Fisher spoke these words of wisdom in

Well, since I've now officially posted here, I thought I might as well
post an introduction...

Hi! I'm Steve.

Um. Cough. What else is there to say? In retrospect, maybe posting an
introduction was a stupid idea...

Hi Steve, I think the introduction was a very nice idea. Welcome!
Old November 30th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Steven Fisher

On 2007-11-29 14:36:23 -0800, "filly" said:

Hi Steven, thanks for the introduction and welcome to the group. Sometimes
vicarious dog experiences are better than up-close and live, especially if
one member of the family is not 100% for dog ownership.

Oh, I'm sure we'll have a dog one day. Every little boy should have a
dog to play with.

I'm Karla, and have two dogs. A female, six year old lab/chow, Ricki Lee,
and an almost two year old liver Dalmatian, Jake. I have a special interest
in Dal's, I dearly love the breed. That is not to short Ricki Lee, who is
very special in her own right. I adopted her after losing my heart dog, and
I couldn't have chosen better. She is my darling.

They sound wonderful.

Is Jake a food hound, too? I'm not sure if it is a breed or dog thing.
While I've always enjoyed meeting Dals, Buster is the first one I've
really spent a lot of time with. And boy oh boy, the only time he stops
thinking about food is when it's time to go out or when he's asleep.

He's fiercely loyal to my mom, but one time my dad tried to feed him
right as Buster was running to greet her. He paused, looked between
them, before finally turning to the food.

Ricki Lee and Jake are best friends and partners in crime. The fun only
stops when they are asleep.

Yes, dogs can definitely entertain themselves... and that often leads
to much crime!

If he can reach it, Dihgby (I just realized I have no idea how this is
spelled!) will grab a piece of toilet paper and run the roll down the
hall and into the living room. If it's not in the holder, he can't
reach it, but Buster can, and he just eats the whole roll. Why not just
close the bathroom? Because the big guy refuses to drink from his bowl.
It's the toilet or nothin', and he'll bark if you close the door or put
the lid down (which has lead to people being barked at while they're
doing their thing, which is always a little fun).

The Dal definitely has personality!

Old November 30th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Steven Fisher" wrote in message
Well, since I've now officially posted here, I thought I might as well
post an introduction...

Hi! I'm Steve.

Hi Steve! Welcome, and I hope you are able to get a dog of your own in the
not too distant future. My husband never had a dog as a kid, was never even
around dogs. Certainly didn't *want* a dog. I kept hearing "if you want a
dog it will be *your* dog." "I don't want a dog, I don't want a dog in the
house", yadda yadda yadda. Now of course, they are his *babies*. I think
if our house was on fire, dh would be hard pressed to decide who to save
first. ;-) I'm guessing I'd come in third, right behind the dogs. ;-]

We have a rottweiler/German Shepherd mix and a Catahoula Leopard dog/mix
maybe. Both rescued as adults. We've had Gracie, the rottie mix almost
exactly three years now. And we've had Merlin nearly a year and a half.
Merlin is the Catahoula. Gracie weighs about 75 pounds, and Merlin weighs
about 80 pounds.

Merlin is a food thief, much like your mothers dog. I have to watch him
like a hawk.

Welcome to the group!

best,

td

Old November 30th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the group. I've got a 17 year-old daughter, a 13 year-old
son, two border collies and a jrt. And a horse - a 3 year-old paint
gelding*. And a husband, who's not all that into the dogs, but is good
natured and tolerant because he knows it buys him a ton of slack. And
in spite of the fact that he doesn't feed them, train them, sleep with
them or play with them, the dogs treat him like a rock star and compete
to be allowed to sit on his lap and watch TV.

The kids and I belong to a flyball club and train and travel with the
team on a regular basis.

It's an active household, to say the least. They gave me a bad scare
last night. At a little past 4 am, the female BC, Scully, laying on the
pillow next to me, suddenly jumped up and snarled at the open door to
the bedroom.

Then Zane, sleeping at the foot of the bed, sounded the alarm. This was
not the bark he uses to ask to go in or out, or even the one he uses
when running the fence with the neighbor's dog. This was the full
volume, no bullshit, intruder alert bark.

So they're both on their feet, hackles up, barking at the open doorway,
where I see... Nothing. I'm staring from the dimly lit bedroom into
the pitch black hall and I can't see anything. But they weren't backing
down and by this time Cooper's fought his way out from under the blanket
and is yapping hysterically. And none of them are leaving the bed,
which really freaked me out.

But the kids' rooms are also off the hall and the thought of an intruder
between me and them made me brave enough to flip on the light. Of
course there was nothing like a nice wooden bat laying around so I
picked up the handiest heavy object I could find - one of my hiking
boots - and went out into the hall, with all three dogs, silent finally,
trailing behind.

Nothing in the hallway (and I even checked the linen closet). Nothing
in the kids' rooms and both kids sound asleep in their loft beds.
Nothing in the kitchen, nothing in the living room, nothing out on the
deck, and the patio door was locked. Nothing in the foyer, but I found
the front door unlocked, which gave me a real chill. Nothing in my work
room, and nothing in the laundry/storage area. Checked under the
computer desk; nothing there but a surge protector.

I felt pretty silly when I caught sight of my reflection in the hallway
mirror. Boxer shorts, a t-shirt, carrying one size 11 hiking boot,
escorted by three dogs. I suppose it's possible that there actually was
somebody there and he went out the front door in all the commotion. Or
maybe Scully had a bad dream and frightened Zane. I really hope that
was it, and you better believe I'm checking the locks tonight.

Kathleen

*For the regulars, my daughter was finally convinced that Luna, her
mustang, was never going to be a safe, fun horse to ride. After months
and months of dedicated training she was still making frequent, spirited
attempts to murder anyone sitting on her back. Albert is keeping her,
though, and trying to get his hands on her brother so he can use them as
a matched pair to pull a buckboard at next year's Chuckwagon Races.
Reno, her new horse, is a sweetheart.

Old November 30th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

Hi Steve,

Nice to meet you.

I have a 8 year old beagle/chessie mix, 4 year old shepard/collie mix and my
latest moment of insanity a 7 month old chocolate lab/husky mix..........oh
my what was I thinking. At the moment she's sitting here beside me yipping
at me wanting to go out.

Gotta go let her pee.

Celeste

Old November 30th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Hi Steven,

snipped

I suppose it's possible that there actually was
somebody there and he went out the front door in all the commotion. Or
maybe Scully had a bad dream and frightened Zane. I really hope that
was it, and you better believe I'm checking the locks tonight.

Kathleen

Man, you had me going there. Glad there was nothing. A ghost, perhaps?

td

half-joking

Old November 30th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_2_]

"Steven Fisher" wrote in message
(snip)
Is Jake a food hound, too? I'm not sure if it is a breed or dog thing.
While I've always enjoyed meeting Dals, Buster is the first one I've
really spent a lot of time with. And boy oh boy, the only time he stops
thinking about food is when it's time to go out or when he's asleep.

Jake is highly motivated by food, but then again he's just pretty highly
motivated. Jake is my fourth Dalmatian, and they have all been high energy
dogs who need lots of one-on-one attention and direction. They need
something to do or they will think up something to do. And be very
persistent about it. They are quick learners who never forget a thing, or a
slight. Highly sensitive. Intuitive. Demanding. And above all I think,
entertaining.

He's fiercely loyal to my mom, but one time my dad tried to feed him
right as Buster was running to greet her. He paused, looked between
them, before finally turning to the food.

Ah yes, loyal. I forgot about that. And in the same situation I know that
Jake would choose the food over me, then ignore the food giver and be at my
side.

I haven't been able to break his counter surfing habit and it drives me
nuts. I am careful to put food where he can't get it, but he's also happy
to steal a sponge or a dishcloth and shred them. He's finally quit eating
shoes and books, now he just brings them to me to file on my desk. I have
piles of non-desk related things threatening avalanche. I worked at teaching
him to fetch my keys and he has generalized that to fetching the household.
(snip)

Why not just
close the bathroom? Because the big guy refuses to drink from his bowl.
It's the toilet or nothin', and he'll bark if you close the door or put
the lid down (which has lead to people being barked at while they're
doing their thing, which is always a little fun).

Yes, demanding. And they don't hesitate to tell you what it is they want.
Over and over.

The Dal definitely has personality!

That they do. I enjoy the challange. I also love to watch them move. They
have such an athletic style about them, graceful and powerful. Jake banks
around the house like a cueball, and outside he is poetry in motion.
Karla

Old November 30th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Steven Fisher wrote:
Well, since I've now officially posted here, I thought I might as well
post an introduction...

Nice to meet you!

We currently have two dogs, Oppie , an 11.5 year old yellow Lab
(aka MoveOppie, Goofball, Moose, and Puppy), and Chile , a 16.5
year old chihuahua (aka Pod, Sweetie, and PipSqueak because she
vocalizes by pipping and squeaking). Always in our hearts but no
longer with us are Dylan, a GSD who was Oppie's good bud, Gordo,
Chile's soul-mate and litter-mate, and Tika, another chihuahua.

FurPaw
--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.

introduction nay Dog health 1 December 27th 06 03:16 PM
introduction and What breed is =? D.A. Dog breeds 7 March 12th 06 11:01 AM