Help! My dog and the vacuum

Old December 1st 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BleepingBeauty

Default Help! My dog and the vacuum

Hi, all. Hope someone has some good advice for me.

I have a 3-year-old mixed breed named Woody, adopted at 12 weeks from a
local shelter through Petfinder. He's supposedly a sheltie mix, but he
looks more like a cross between a coyote and a red fox and weighs about 47
pounds. He's a very good-natured dog, but he has one issue that's driving
us both crazy. He absolutely hates it when I vacuum. He doesn't attack the
machine, as I know many small dogs do. He stays as far away from it as
possible and goes into panic mode (frenzied short sprints to the left and
right with his eyes always on the vacuum, panting and drooling, head low,
tail down, etc.). And he pees on the tile floor (not just anywhere,
though - in one or two spots that he marks repeatedly and which I clean
repeatedly).

In good weather, I let him go outside when I need to vacuum. When the
weather's bad (as it has been today), I'm reluctant to do that. Putting him
in his crate when I vacuum only keeps him confined; it does nothing to curb
his anxiety. He just has to hear or see the vacuum to whip himself into a
frenzy.

The best possible solution would be one that alleviates his anxiety
altogether, but I'm at a loss as to how to achieve that goal. Any
suggestions? TIA

Old December 3rd 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BleepingBeauty

"BleepingBeauty" wrote in message
Hi, all. Hope someone has some good advice for me.

Not one of you could be bothered to respond to a newbie's question. Nice
first (and last) impression. I'll just unsubscribe now and leave you to
your (obviously more important) discussions. Thanks so much.

Old December 3rd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

BleepingBeauty wrote:

Not one of you could be bothered to respond to a newbie's question.

Sorry. I have no experience with dogs attacking vacuum cleaners, so
my expertise on the subject is even worse than yours. I could just
make some stuff up for you, if that'd make you feel better, but I'm
pretty sure it wouldn't be helpful.

Nice
first (and last) impression. I'll just unsubscribe now and leave you to
your (obviously more important) discussions. Thanks so much.

Don't let the door hit you &ct.

--
Shelly
Old December 3rd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shelly wrote:

Sorry. I have no experience with dogs attacking vacuum cleaners,

Or of them being fearful of them, even.

--
Shelly
Old December 3rd 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"BleepingBeauty" spoke these words of wisdom
in :

"BleepingBeauty" wrote in message
Hi, all. Hope someone has some good advice for me.

Not one of you could be bothered to respond to a newbie's question. Nice
first (and last) impression. I'll just unsubscribe now and leave you to
your (obviously more important) discussions. Thanks so much.

The only dog I ever had attack vacuum cleaners did so by running to the wall
and unplugging the thing. Since that is probably NOT an acceptable solution
for you, I kept mute. Sorry it distressed you.
Old December 3rd 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
Or of them being fearful of them, even.

Some of my dogs don't like vacuum cleaners, but none of them
actually will attack one.

However, this morning I took Eclipse and Cinder to the vet.
Eclipse is particularly predatory, and she was doing her
on-leash zoomies and checking out everything there was to
check out, and when she saw a rather lifelike stuffed cat
she stared at it for a moment and then bit it on the back.

The cat? Not a vacuum cleaner.

Old December 3rd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

[...]

You might try crating him while you vacuum, and when you vacuum near his
crate, move the crate to another room
Old December 3rd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"BleepingBeauty" wrote:

Not one of you could be bothered to respond to a newbie's question. Nice
first (and last) impression. I'll just unsubscribe now and leave you to
your (obviously more important) discussions. Thanks so much.

I don't always see all of the posts, but hey - maybe people are doing
things with their own dogs over the weekend and don't have time to read
and respond to everyone! Luck of the draw. This isn't a helpline yanno.

From reading Shelly's responses, I take it your dog has a problem with
the vacuum cleaner.

So -

what does the dog do when you vacuum?

what kind of machine is it?

how old is your dog and of what type?

how long had you had him/her?

has this always been a problem or is it a new thing?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 3rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

The best possible solution would be one that alleviates his anxiety
altogether, but I'm at a loss as to how to achieve that goal. Any
suggestions? TIA

Since Diddy reposted most of the details I asked about, my question is
narrowed down - when did this start? He's been with you for 3 years.
Did he start this the first time you vacuumed? Somewhere along the way?
recently? More detail please but a visual would be a lot better.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 3rd 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom in
:
I don't always see all of the posts, but hey - maybe people are doing
things with their own dogs over the weekend and don't have time to read
and respond to everyone!

Or they just don't have that particular experience with that issue.
Or maybe they are engaged with a brand new puppy! Who knows?

The vacuum cleaner thing.... White Monkey Dog behavior 12 January 20th 06 09:55 AM
Golden Retreiver - Best vacuum Carl Lucas Dogs - general 0 June 26th 05 05:42 PM
Vacuum redux FurPaw Dog behavior 12 June 24th 05 12:22 AM
vacuum Chris Dog breeds 7 January 28th 05 07:49 PM