First night with new pup. Crate. Howling

Old December 2nd 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default First night with new pup. Crate. Howling

Hey Everyone
Picked up a beautiful black lab today. He's 10 weeks old. Tonight
after he had been exercised for a long time and had gone to the
backyard to take care of whatever bladder needs he had we placed him
in his crate, turned out the lights and figured he'd eventually
settle. Well, it's been about an hour and he's still whining and
crying. Should I just not give in and he'll learn that he's going to
be there for a couple of more hours or is there something I can do to
ease him tonight?

Thanks

Brett
Old December 2nd 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

wrote in message
Hey Everyone
Picked up a beautiful black lab today. He's 10 weeks old. Tonight
after he had been exercised for a long time and had gone to the
backyard to take care of whatever bladder needs he had we placed him
in his crate, turned out the lights and figured he'd eventually
settle. Well, it's been about an hour and he's still whining and
crying. Should I just not give in and he'll learn that he's going to
be there for a couple of more hours or is there something I can do to
ease him tonight?

He needs to stay in the kennel because otherwise hes learned that whining
gets your way for the most part- however, sanity is important, as is making
sure he doesnt' need to pee- you know?
Is the crate near you? like next to the bed? You can reassure him that way
by giving him a quick pet through the crate.

If you do need to let him out, try and wait for a quiet time - thirty
seconds where he hasnt' cried, and then no damage done and you can let him
out. I'd not leave a 10 week old lab loose in my house though!!

congratulations on the new baby!!

Old December 2nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Beth In Alaska wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I wussed out with Cooper. He was 12 weeks old and not even marginally
housebroken when I got him and I was adamant that he sleep in his crate
in my bedroom with me and the BCs in the same room. But he cried. And
cried. And cried. His crate was next to my bed and I slept on my
stomach with the fingers of my right hand through the bars so he'd know
he wasn't alone. It didn't help. This went on night after night with
no tapering off at all.

I was exhausted, the BCs were distraught. I caved. I was waked from a
semi-hallucinatory doze by some of the most pitiful whining I have ever
heard. I got up, opened his crate and brought him into bed with me and
Zane and Scully. To hell with it. In for a penny, in for a pound.

He was so thrilled he was doing somersaults on the bedspread. Then he
climbed under the blankets, plastered himself up against me and fell
asleep instantly.

So I sleep with three dogs. It works for us. It helped with
housebreaking, too, because I could feel his first full-bladder squirms
in plenty of time to get him outside for a potty break.

Obviously your mileage may vary. Inviting a baby lab into your bed is
an entirely different matter than adding a jrt to two BCs already
encamped. But if you and any other bedmates don't mind the thought of
sharing sleeping space with a large dog there's nothing wrong with
bringing a lab puppy into your bed.

Old December 2nd 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

So I sleep with three dogs. It works for us. It helped with
housebreaking, too, because I could feel his first full-bladder squirms
in plenty of time to get him outside for a potty break.

Obviously your mileage may vary. Inviting a baby lab into your bed is
an entirely different matter than adding a jrt to two BCs already
encamped. But if you and any other bedmates don't mind the thought of
sharing sleeping space with a large dog there's nothing wrong with
bringing a lab puppy into your bed.

True. all of it. We only have a queen sized bed, and 3 retrievers don't
fit and it gets too hot. So I'm hanging tough, even against puppy dog
eyes and screams and whimpers. T'aint easy.

The open-top wire crate (you can do that with a drop pin crate) is
better than the plastic crate as far as Miss Marcie is concerned. It is
RIGHT up against the bed, so she can lick me and I can put my hand down
and tell her to go to sleep. I think I was petting the goose at some
point in the middle of the night though!

My advice is to hang tough with the lab puppy. This too shall pass and
you'll be glad you hung in there. It may take a bit though. Something
soft, a toy, a chew object, and try to put him to bed sleepy.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 2nd 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
True. all of it. We only have a queen sized bed, and 3 retrievers don't
fit and it gets too hot.

I have a queen sized bed and usually have between three and
six Siberian Huskies on it at night. Usually it's fine but
sometimes it doesn't work out all that well - dogs turn out
to be just not all that good at solving topology problems.

Old December 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Actually, the dogs in bed rule here is: dogs are allowed before lights
out and any time there is only one human in the bed.

Do you think the dogs really understand the rules, or is it
a matter of them being obedient? I think I understand what
dogs can understand and pretty much what they can't, but I'm
really not sure where the line is and I think that's a
really interesting question. It would be pretty cool if
they could understand one-person-but-not-two.

Old December 2nd 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Melinda Shore wrote:

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:

True. all of it. We only have a queen sized bed, and 3 retrievers don't
fit and it gets too hot.

I have a queen sized bed and usually have between three and
six Siberian Huskies on it at night. Usually it's fine but
sometimes it doesn't work out all that well - dogs turn out
to be just not all that good at solving topology problems.

My husband works third shift so there's plenty of room for three dogs
and one person in a queen-sized bed. I have to keep the door open
otherwise it gets too hot and stuffy, even in winter with the thermostat
set to 65.