Most Dangerous Doggies

Old December 2nd 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,balt.general,alt.true-crime
Way Back Jack[_3_]

Default Most Dangerous Doggies

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the top 10 most
dangerous dogs a

1. Pit Bulls
2. Rottweilers
3. German Shepherds
4. Huskies
5. Alaskan Malamutes
6. Doberman Pinschers
7. Chow Chows
8. Great Danes
9. St. Bernards
10. Akitas
http://www.resource4dogbitelaw.com/dangerousdogs.html
_________

Recall from another source that pit bull terriers are responsible for
1/3 of human deaths by dog bite. Another source claims that a "Bull
Mastiff" should be in the top 10.

Extremely surprising that St. Bernards and Great Danes made the top
10, especially the Bernies.

Mildly surprising that Dobies aren't rated #3. And Chow Chows look
like little shits. Hard to believe they're #7.

Someone also mentioned a "Brazilian Fila" as being extremely vicious
and tipping the scales at 180 lbs.!!

Old December 2nd 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,balt.general,alt.true-crime
tiny dancer

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message
[...]

Almost any dog can be dangerous when owned by the wrong people. In most
cases, it isn't the dog, it's the owner. Various breeds of the Bull Terrior
have been around for centuries, but it's only been the last 20 or 30 years,
since dog-fighting and drug dealers and gang members decided they wanted
'bad-assed' dogs, that they have been topping lists of statistics.

***The Rottweiler is a dog of many talents: he's rough and tumble, ready for
anything; easy to train, if treated with respect and consistency; loyal and
protective, at times to a fault; strong, yet gentle; aloof and dignified
with strangers and playful and loving to his family. In short, the Rottie is
the typical "tough guy with a heart of gold."

***

It is in breed temperament that the Rott is often misjudged. A well-bred
Rottweiler is calm, confident, and courageous with an inherent aloofness
towards strangers and a reserved attitude in new situations. Combined with
his fierce devotion to home and family, these characteristics can be
subverted from their original purpose by poor breeding practices, lack of
socialization, and failure to teach basic good manners. Rottweiler owners
without a strong grasp of the breed's nature can find themselves in trouble
if the dog has been badly bred or assumes leadership of the family.***

Pit Bull Terrior:

Temperament

When treated well, APBTs typically have sunny personalities. They are very
sweet, curious, intelligent, and clownish. They are noted for their
outgoing, affectionate, eager-to-please disposition and their fondness for
people. They adore attention, often relishing the company of humans and are
notorious for their loyalty to their masters, even giving their lives for
them. When raised with a firm but fair hand an APBT can make a wonderful
family pet, however, APBTs can also be stubborn and prone to display
aggression towards other dogs. Thus, they should not be the first choice of
dog for a novice dog owner.

Many APBT have stable and dependable temperaments.[citation needed] However,
a firm, even hand and early obedience training are musts for this breed.
Inexperienced owners tend to find them to be too much to handle - APBTs can
be quite "bouncy". They generally have a lot of energy and high predator
drive; they need exercise and stimulation in order to channel that energy
properly and not become frustrated, bored, and destructive.

Despite the stereotype, the average, sound-minded pit bull is not a threat
where children are concerned. Though the AKC and UKC recommend that no child
be left alone with any adult dog, the APBT, like many of its relatives, is a
breed far more likely not to know its own strength and knock a toddler down
in its exuberance by accident rather than by force. Generally, this is a
breed that loves to play. It is also a breed that is very strong for its
size and weight, so adults and older children are better recommended to take
the dog on its leash.

APBTs often display some level of dog aggression, especially towards strange
dogs of the same sex or level of assertiveness.[citation needed] Early
socialization and good training can mean that many individuals of the breed
never display this trait. However, it must remembered that this breed has
been developed from both Bull-Baiting and later on Bear-bating stock. The
popular notion that "Pit Bulls" were ever bred for dog fighting could not be
further from the truth. The term "Pit Bull" was earned after the deplorable
bull and bear baiting sports were outlawed, and dogs of this same stock were
involved in Ratting sports. A responsible APBT owner does not let their dog
interact with strange dogs unsupervised, knows how to avoid a dog fight, and
has trained their dog to heel.

APBTs were never bred for human aggression or guarding behavior;[citation
needed] generally they only will attack if they perceive an immediate threat
to their masters or families rather than seeing every person as an intruder
upon their territory. They were originally bred against human aggression
because in the pit fighting days the handlers had to be able to handle their
dogs as well as treat their wounds, and if necessary, quickly pull the dog
out of a fight for various reasons. Any dog that did show the slightest sign
of human aggression in that day was 'culled', and therefore, not allowed to
carry on its bloodline. For that reason stable examples of the breed are
generally not suitable as guard dogs. It is important that APBTs who display
any sign of human aggression are not bred, in order to preserve the stable
and friendly nature of the breed, and equally important that man aggressive
dogs are never kept.

When selecting an APBT puppy, it is paramount to find a breeder who selects
puppies for their good temperament and not for aggressive tendencies towards
other dogs or towards humans. A good breeder should know the UKC standard,
and should both health test and temperament test their breeding stock. A
breeder who boasts about their dogs' "guard dog" skills or "protective"
behavior is a giveaway that their dogs are bred for improper human
aggression. It is a good idea for prospective APBT owners to research the
breeder, ask for references and ask to see their facilities and other dogs
they have raised. It is also a good policy for owners to have their dog
microchipped where possible as this breed is often stolen in and near urban
areas for ill uses; in the U.S. a dog license is recommended as well as most
areas require them.

Adult pit bulls are frequently also available from animal shelters.
Reputable shelters will temperament test their dogs before adoption, so that
only dogs with stable temperaments are available for adoption. The advantage
of obtaining an adult dog from a shelter is that its temperament is already
known, and a dog with low dog aggression or low prey drive can be selected
if desired.

As bright, athletic dogs, American Pit Bull Terriers excel in many
activities, including weight pulling, search and rescue, dog agility trials,
flyball, and can even do well in some advanced obedience training. In the
United States they have been used as narcotics detection police dogs, Border
Patrol dogs, hearing dogs and Search and Rescue dogs because of their
tenacity, high energy drive, and versatility. In a home they make wonderful
dogs to go on a morning run with, take out on errands, and play fetch. They
do best in a home with a backyard and a tall fence as they do "vertical
jumps" much like any terrier breed, especially the Parsons Russell Terrier
(formerly Jack Russell Terrier). APBTs will also do fine in an urban setting
so long as they are walked and exercised often.

Old December 2nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

tiny dancer wrote:
[...]

I take it you're familiar with the Carl books by Alexandra Day. If
you're not, go get them immediately. You'd love them. (There's now a
big book with all 6 in one volume.) That goes for you too, Marcel.
"Read" them to babies.

For the original poster (don't know if you're reading this; I erased the
cross posts), is that list adjusted for numbers? In other words, is a
dog considered more dangerous because there are more of them living
amidst larger concentrations of people? Or do the numbers reflect the
number of dogs of a certain breed, the number of bites causing injuries
or deaths, and the opportunities a dog has to do damage?

I'm surprised by the Saint Bernard's presence on the list. Quite
satisfied with the loyal, aloof, reactive, part Chow that I have, I'm
not in the market for another dog any time soon, but I've been dreaming
of Saint Bernards, something furry that I can lie on, something that
will be friendly and that people will assume is friendly on first approach.

--Lia

--Lia

Old December 2nd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,balt.general,alt.true-crime
Paul E. Schoen

[...]

There is also the Anatolian, which can be over 200 lb. They are normally
not extremely aggressive, but their sheer size makes them potentially
dangerous. And they are very closely related to wolves, which are typically
aloof, less responsive to human attention, and thus harder to read, which
might elicit unpredictable and violent behavior.

Statistics are sparse and very difficult to interpret. The CDC report goes
into detail about the possible ways to interpret the data, perhaps by
adjustment according to popularity. You will have to read the report to
understand the rationale behind the way the numbers are presented.

Here are the statistics from a CDC report
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf from 2000:

Death-based approach Dog-based
approach
Breed Pure Cross Total Pure
Cross Total

Pit bull-type 66 11* 76* 98 20
118
Rottweiler 39 6* 44* 60 7
67
German Shepherd Dog 17 11* 27* 24 17
41
Husky-type (includes at least 2 Siberian) 15 6 21 15 6
21
Malamute 12 3 15 13 3
16
Wolf-dog hybrid 0 14 14 0 15
15
Mixed-breed (NOS) 0 12 12 0 47
47
Chow Chow 8 3 11 8 13
21
Doberman 9 1 10 12 1
13
Saint Bernard 7 1 8 7 1
8
Great Dane 7 1* 7* 11 2
13
Labrador Retriever 1 4 5 1 7
8
Akita 4 0 4 4 0
4
Sled-type (NOS) 3 0 3 12 0
12
Bulldog 2 1 3 2 1
3
Mastiff 2 1 3 4 1
5
Boxer 2 1 3 4 1
5
Collie 0 3 3 0 6
6
Bullmastiff 1 1 2 1 1
2
Hound-type (NOS) 1 1 2 1 1
2
Retriever-type (NOS) 1 0 1 1 0
1
Chesapeake Bay Retriever 1 0 1 1 0
1
West Highland Terrier (NOS) 1 0 1 1 0
1
Terrier-type (NOS) 1 0 1 1 0
1
Japanese Hunting Dog (NOS) 1 0 1 1 0
1
Newfoundland 1 0 1 1 0
1
Coonhound 1 0 1 1 0
1
Sheepdog (NOS) 1 0 1 1 0
1
Australian Shepherd 0 1 1 0 3
3
Rhodesian Ridgeback 1 0 1 1 0
1
Cocker Spaniel 1 0 1 1 0
1

*A purebred dog and a crossbred dog of this breed were involved in a single
fatality; therefore, that breed is counted only once in the total column.
NOS - Not otherwise specified.

Paul and Sir Muttley, a "dangerous" Mixed Breed (NOS)

Old December 2nd 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
tiny dancer wrote:

snipped

***The Rottweiler is a dog of many talents: he's rough and tumble, ready

for
anything; easy to train, if treated with respect and consistency; loyal

and
protective, at times to a fault; strong, yet gentle; aloof and dignified
with strangers and playful and loving to his family. In short, the

Rottie is
the typical "tough guy with a heart of gold."

I take it you're familiar with the Carl books by Alexandra Day. If
you're not, go get them immediately. You'd love them. (There's now a
big book with all 6 in one volume.) That goes for you too, Marcel.
"Read" them to babies.

First I want to apologize to the group for not removing the cross-posts. I
originally replied to this post on true crime, and didn't notice it had been
cross-posted here until I hit *send*.

Although, I am glad now that I did unintentionally reply that way because
no, I hadn't been aware of the Carl books. I just checked them out on
amazon and they look wonderful! Thank you so much Lia for suggesting them.
I am definitely going to get some for the grandchildren. They will love
them, and so will I. Although my Gracie is a rottweiler mix, she looks
rottie, even to those who don't particularly know dogs.

best,

td

Old December 2nd 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
First I want to apologize to the group for not removing the cross-posts. I
originally replied to this post on true crime, and didn't notice it had been
cross-posted here until I hit *send*.

More high-quality crap from those *decent* people over in
your-suffering-entertains-me land!

Although, I am glad now that I did unintentionally reply that way because
no, I hadn't been aware of the Carl books.

And do I think the crosspost was a reasonable price to pay
for your finally discovering something that pretty much
everybody intersted in *dogs* already knows about? Not
really.

When is it, exactly, that you plan on starting to show an
interest in *dogs*?

Old December 2nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message:

I've been dreaming
of Saint Bernards, something furry that I can lie on, something that
will be friendly and that people will assume is friendly on first

approach.

The Beethovan movies had led to a surge in popularity of the breed, with the
usual accompanying side effects. Lots of poorly bred Saints out there with
**** poor temperament. Not to mention, really, truly terrible hips.

Suja

Old December 2nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,balt.general,alt.true-crime
Marlene Blanshay

i'm really surprised too about danes and st bernards...all the ones i
have seen were the sweetest, most gentle laid back dogs. And english
mastiffs. I love huge dogs and i have never even seen one so much as bark!

and this guy who lived next door to me (and just moved) had some kind of
italian mastiff. Not as big as the english mastiffs, but big. And he was
a very well behaved, friendly, gentle dog. I did hear him bark
sometimes, at the squirrels and raccoons. It sounded ferocious, ao i am
sure that guy would never be robbed. I think the worst thing that could
happen would be if one of those giant dogs sat on you!

Old December 2nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

The Beethovan movies had led to a surge in popularity of the breed, with the
usual accompanying side effects. Lots of poorly bred Saints out there with
**** poor temperament. Not to mention, really, truly terrible hips.

My business partner has a Saint (shelter adoptee). While she manages to
get along with a select few dogs, she hates many others and is a bit
unpredictable with new humans as well. She's very well managed of
course, and lives with another dog (a new dog even!) but she's
definitely not "sweet and fluffy". I like her (except the hair and
drool) and vice versa (I don't drool and am clean!), but I wouldn't
recommend anyone run up and throw their arms around her.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 3rd 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

tiny dancer wrote:
[...]

I love Carl! monk can "read" carl to me.

doggies! Pico Dog behavior 53 June 9th 04 01:26 AM
doggies! Pico Dog behavior 0 June 3rd 04 07:44 PM
doggies! Pico Dog behavior 0 June 3rd 04 07:44 PM
doggies mad at me Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 December 13th 03 08:49 AM
doggies mad at me Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 December 13th 03 08:49 AM