Pit bull owner backs ban after mauling

Old November 16th 04, 02:04 AM
D. Dub

Default Pit bull owner backs ban after mauling

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...pf-715044.html

Mon, November 15, 2004

Pit bull owner backs ban after mauling

By NADIA MOHARIB, CALGARY SUN

Watching in horror as her beloved dog was fatally mauled by her two pit
bulls has convinced a heartbroken woman to support a ban on the
controversial dogs. "Right up until that fight, I stuck up for them, always
gave them the benefit of the doubt and defended them because they were my
children," a distraught Betty Petrov said last night, one day after her
12-year-old German shepherd, Sarge, was killed by her two pit bulls in the
living room of an Edmonton Tr. home.

"By raising them and giving them love, hugs and kisses every day and no
violence, we figured we could overcome the stereotype and, in the end, it
didn't happen.

"Unfortunately, I probably would support a ban."

During a family gathering, for no apparent reason, one of her two pit
bulls -- who lived with Sarge since they were puppies -- lunged at the
shepherd with the other joining in.

Petrov's mother hit the attackers with a board as Petrov struggled to pry
the attackers off the shepherd she raised since a pup.

The 12-year-old dog, after being grabbed by the throat by one dog while
attacked by the other, did not survive.

Petrov later made the devastating decision to euthanize her two other dogs.

"It's the right decision," the teary woman said. "Even if we were to keep
the other dogs, I could never love them in the same way, all I'm going to
see is the death of my baby.

"It's not their fault, but the bottom line is it's just bred into them."

Ontario recently introduced legislation which could see it become the first
Canadian province to ban pit bulls by the end of the year.

Pit bulls have been banned in Windsor and Kitchener-Waterloo, Ont., and
Winnipeg.

There are similar bans in place in France, Britain and Germany.

Old November 16th 04, 03:44 PM
Rich

Mon, November 15, 2004

[...]

Very sorry to hear what happened to Sarge. This is a devastating loss.
I too have defended Pit Bulls in the past, but this makes me rethink the
whole thing.
The tendency to just SUDDENLY turn and attack is infamous for the Pit.
Still it's the human's fault for breeding this into them.
With the ban, I hope the "humans" don't move on and destroy another breed!
-Rich

Old November 17th 04, 12:18 AM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
The tendency to just SUDDENLY turn and attack is infamous for the Pit.
Still it's the human's fault for breeding this into them.
With the ban, I hope the "humans" don't move on and destroy another breed!

I raised a Border Collie and a lab from pups and now they're 9 and 11
respectively. About three or four times a year those two get into a
dispute over something (usually something stupid), and start to "fight"
each other. Lots of gnashing of teeth, snarling, wrestling, gumming each
other, etc. The fights are real and after being broken up I have never
once had either dog ever break the skin of the other with their teeth.
I'm not sure they even know how to bite, except for the BC who knows how
to snip in such a way to pinch skin with her teeth very quickly. I
assume that dogs living together behave like roommates or couples who
notice things about the other person that peeves them and after awhile,
things boil over. After breaking up a fight (the ones I see), my dogs
just shake it off and go on as if nothing ever happened.

I don't know if I would trust a pit bull or any other type of dog whose
instinct is to kill to live with another dog. I think that eventually
those dogs will get pissed off at each other and the pit bull is trained
instinctively to kill just like my BC instinctively knows how to and
wants herd. That might have happened with Sarge. Something had been
eating away at the pit bull until he lost his temper and did what pit
bulls were bred to do.

Old November 17th 04, 12:40 AM
culprit

"D. Dub" wrote in message
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...pf-715044.html

Watching in horror as her beloved dog was fatally mauled by her two pit
bulls has convinced a heartbroken woman to support a ban on the
controversial dogs. "Right up until that fight, I stuck up for them,
always gave them the benefit of the doubt and defended them because they
were my children," a distraught Betty Petrov said last night, one day
after her 12-year-old German shepherd, Sarge, was killed by her two pit
bulls in the living room of an Edmonton Tr. home.

"By raising them and giving them love, hugs and kisses every day and no
violence, we figured we could overcome the stereotype and, in the end, it
didn't happen.

"Unfortunately, I probably would support a ban."

she would support a ban because she didn't know how to manage her dogs?
because she didn't understand what her dogs were bred for? because she
thought she could hug and kiss the breeding out of her dogs?

i hate it when people try to legislate stupidity. especially when it's
their own.

"wah, i can't take care of my dogs properly, so they should be banned!"

please.

-kelly