Tail Chasing

Old December 3rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Tail Chasing

My dog Bailey is a classic tail chaser. When she was a puppy she did
it obsessively but we learned early on that it is a very bad bevioral
problem. While it can be amusing it can also become a neurological
distraction where the dog cannot stop doing it, to the point of
causing themselves physical harm. Certain breeds, German Shephards
(which Bailey is part) in particular, have been known to become so
obsessed with their tail they actually begin chewing it down to the
point of bleeding. We actually heard of a case where a dog bled to
death while in their kennel unattended to for a period of time.
It is important to stop the behavior immediately. Whenever the dog
does it, make a loud noise to distract him/her. With Bailey we had to
physically grab her to get her to stop and get her to focus her energy
on something else, usually by just petting her to calm her down. Do
whatever you need to that works best for your dog. www.HugsandLeashes.com
Old December 3rd 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

wrote in message
[...]

===========
She might also be bored. I wonder if you tossed the ball for her to
retrieve over and over again, if that would help. Does she get enough
exercise? I would think any type of activity, exercise or mental
stimulation would help solve this problem.

Old December 3rd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
HugsandLeashes

On Dec 3, 10:03 am, "pfoley" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Exercise and boredom are big contributors to the problem, it gets hard
in the winter when we can't get outside to walk and play as much but
she loves the snow so that helps! You are right, toys are also a very
good distraction. Too much energy was typically the instigator for
the behavior.
We were able to get her to stop, for the most part. The only time she
does it now is when she wants our attention and knows that will do the
trick.
When they do it out of boredom and want attention it's one thing,
because they are not causing themselves physical harm, it's when they
do it obsessively that it can be a big problem. Thanks for the
feedback! www.HugsandLeashes.com
Old December 3rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
HugsandLeashes wrote:
Exercise and boredom are big contributors to the problem, it gets hard
in the winter when we can't get outside to walk and play as much but
she loves the snow so that helps!

Thank you for actually engaging someone in discussion rather
than just doing another one of your creepy hit-and-run nanny
lectures.

My dogs get more exercise in the winter, and yours can, too.
Want me to lecture you about how?

Old December 3rd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
HugsandLeashes

Sure, why not? We're all here to support each other, right? www.HugsandLeashes.com

Old December 3rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

HugsandLeashes wrote:
We're all here to support each other, right?

Please speak for yourself!

--
Shelly
Old December 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
HugsandLeashes wrote:
Sure, why not? We're all here to support each other, right?

New to this whole Usenet thing, eh?

Old December 3rd 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, HugsandLeashes wrote
in :

Sure, why not? We're all here to support each other, right?

You don't actually read this group, do you??

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old December 3rd 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

You don't actually read this group, do you??

Maybe he was making a funny? It's so hard to tell sometimes.

--
Shelly
Old December 4th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior, rec.pets.dogs.breeds, alt.animals.dog,alt.pets.dogs.labrador, alt.pets.dogs.pitbull
HugsandLeashes

Who would've thought a simple little post to say hello and just some
general information would result in such negative and unprovoked
verbal abuse. I expected when I posted here to find a community of
people who supported each other, gave constructive criticism, and were
generally friendly people who love dogs as much as I do. If you don't
like what I have to say then don't read it, move on, or give usable
feedback without all the hostility and scarcasm.
But don't worry about that now, this will be my last post as I have
obviously not found what I was looking for. Everyone is entitled to
their opinion, you've all made yours known to me as not being a
welcomed member, so I've decided to move on.
I'm sure you've all been helpful to others, and that this is a
supportive group, I'm just disappointed that things turned out the way
they did in this case. Maybe my intentions were misinterpreted, but
all I wanted to do was pass along some information and experiences,
start a dialogue, and learn something in return from others. My
intentions were never malicious or devious in nature and I think you
all may have the wrong idea about me. I do appreciate you giving me a
chance though, the result was just unfortunate.
Thank you for your time - Ryan

Tail chasing? Tess Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 12:20 AM
Tail chasing? Tess Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 12:20 AM
Tail chasing? Tess Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 12:20 AM
Tail chasing? Tess Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 12:20 AM
Tail chasing? Tess Dog behavior 0 August 18th 04 12:20 AM