OT Hi By Car and left to die--at the local shelter

Old December 4th 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

Default OT Hi By Car and left to die--at the local shelter

I don't want to hijack Diddy's thread. I'm very troubled about a related
topic.

Yesterday, I discovered a Basset hound mix lying in one of the isolation
runs. He was almost motionless, and made horrible sounds. Someone had
covered him in a blanket for warmth.

Today I took a closer look. I discovered, after two hours, his food had
not been touched. I held his bowl near and he ate like it was a
first-time experience; the same with water. After being at the shelter
nearly 48 hours, I figure that was his first nourishment.

I discovered one of his front legs was missing, from some time in the
past. I thought his eyes looked strange because his face was swollen. As
I looked harder, I discovered one eye was missing and the other appeared
to have exploded: the vitreous humor was dangling.

I checked his paperwork and found he had been hit by a car. Naturally,
he had no identification. I would guess the dog has broken ribs and/or
internal damages. I came home and retrieved some large foam pads and was
able to move him onto one of them.

This will sound horrible, but I hope he passes during the night.
Otherwise he will have to continue suffering until he dies, or until
12-06-07--that's when his hold time expires and he becomes "shelter
property".

The shelter can't kill the dog until it becomes "shelter property"; but
they are also not required to render any medical care. If this were a
citizen, the citizen would be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

I once had to threaten calling the local TV station, in order to get
help for an injured dog. This dog appears to be near death.

I can't let this go on and on. I'm going to get the laws changed to
allow such dogs be killed, if the owner cannot be contacted.

_______________________
When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old December 4th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Michael A. Ball spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I don't want to hijack Diddy's thread. I'm very troubled about a related
topic.

That's quite all right, I gave up all rights to this thread as soon as i
offered it to be posted to. It's the nature of usenet. A lot of interesting
discussion came from it, but it's all used up. Your post is still on topic,
and very enlightening indeed. In fact, our animal control has no funds to
treat. The only medical treatment offered is the kiss of death. In fact, our
animal control MAY NOT TREAT.

The poor beagle. I can see why you are so troubled. It's a very disturbing
thought to go to sleep on.
Old December 4th 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
[...]

===============
Report it to the Humane Society ASAP.

Old December 4th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

Report it to the Humane Society ASAP.

What humane society?

--
Shelly
Old December 4th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:52:29 -0500, Michael A. Ball
wrote:

[...]
I can't let this go on and on. I'm going to get the laws changed to
allow such dogs be killed, if the owner cannot be contacted.

Michael, that's a tragic story, but be careful what you wish for.

If the laws were to swing too far in the other direction, it's
possible that more dogs who could have been saved might end up dead.

Perhaps, say, if a *panel* of 2-3 *vets* agree that a dog is suffering
great pain, and that any chance of recovery is essentially
nonexistent, then and only then would humane destruction be allowed,
and the shelter held harmless.

I'd hate to be the one to have to tell little Tommy that he didn't get
down here in time, and that his dog had to be destroyed yesterday
because his leg was broken in a car accident.

I predict that more dogs will get killed for injuries or conditions
that wouldn't generally justify their destruction, if your law is
re-written too loosely.

And at the very least, medication to ease a dog's pain should *always*
be an available option.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Talkin' World War III.
http://www.slate.com/id/2178792

Co-ed Combat: The New Evidence That Women Shouldn't Fight the Nation's Wars.
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2...tml#1196697012

Teddy Bears, Parked Cars and Moral Equivalence.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../12/019174.php

Gentry Liberalism:
"Over the last half a century, liberals have moved from strong support for
basic middle-class concerns -- epitomized by the New Deal and the G.I. Bill
-- to policies that reflect the concerns and prejudices of ever more elite
interests. As a result, neither party speaks for broad middle class concerns."
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3533253.story

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish.
http://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Sprit.../dp/1416559132
Old December 4th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Shelly" wrote in message
pfoley wrote:

Report it to the Humane Society ASAP.

What humane society?

--
Shelly

=========
His local humane society. I called mine yesterday for wild turkey that has
lived in my driveway for three months and has suddenly started limping.
They are coming out tomorrow to look it over.

Old December 4th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"pfoley" wrote:

His local humane society. I called mine yesterday for wild turkey that has
lived in my driveway for three months and has suddenly started limping.
They are coming out tomorrow to look it over.

We have a few "local humane societies" (by county). They don't provide
investigations nor take care of wild animals.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 4th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

His local humane society. I called mine yesterday for wild
turkey

I think you meant liquor store, not humane society. HTH!

that has
lived in my driveway for three months and has suddenly started limping.
They are coming out tomorrow to look it over.

Humane Society does not equal animal control.

--
Shelly
Old December 4th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"pfoley" wrote:

His local humane society. I called mine yesterday for wild turkey that

has
lived in my driveway for three months and has suddenly started limping.
They are coming out tomorrow to look it over.

We have a few "local humane societies" (by county). They don't provide
investigations nor take care of wild animals.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

============
Would they come for an injured dog or cat?
I was told there are people at the humane societies who are specially
trained in the rehabilitation of wild animals also, and they will send them
out to look at the problem and rescue and treat the wild animal if needed.

Old December 4th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

Would they come for an injured dog or cat?

It would depend on the individual HS and that entity's contract (or
lack thereof) with the municipality.

I was told there are people at the humane societies

You do realize that every HS is independent?

who are specially
trained in the rehabilitation of wild animals also, and they will send them
out to look at the problem and rescue and treat the wild animal if needed.

That may have been true for that particular HS.

--
Shelly