WTB: Dog for home security

Old November 16th 04, 05:19 PM
Gwen Watson

Default WTB: Dog for home security

elegy wrote:

i think what you want is an alarm system, not a dog.

Good for you! I didn't read the whole post before
I posted but in the end that was what I advised.

Why, oh why do people think dogs should be
security systems?

And if they just need a sound alarm, parrots
work very well for this. My parrots, hear cars
coming up the road, WAY before any of my dogs
ever do. My sun conure will screech to high heavens.
It is a screech that will nearly brake your ear drums.

Gwen

Old November 16th 04, 05:36 PM
Judy

"elegy" wrote in message
news
i think what you want is an alarm system, not a dog.

Or a goose.

~~Judy

Old November 16th 04, 06:03 PM
Gwen Watson

Judy wrote:

"elegy" wrote in message
news
i think what you want is an alarm system, not a dog.

Or a goose.

~~Judy

Or some guinea hens.

Gwen

Old November 16th 04, 07:03 PM
GeneS

LOL - I can hear the coyotes & wolves now:
WOW - geese and guinea for lunch!
Dogs that live in ranch country have a slightly
more difficult job that city dogs:-)

"Gwen Watson" wrote in message

Judy wrote:

news

Old November 16th 04, 07:20 PM
Gwen Watson

GeneS wrote:

LOL - I can hear the coyotes & wolves now:
WOW - geese and guinea for lunch!
Dogs that live in ranch country have a slightly
more difficult job that city dogs:-)

Wow since you are the one that claims
you live in Austin, a city of over
1 million people, I guess you
are more aware of the duties
of how difficult city life is
for a dog.

I live in rural country.

My experience is with that. In
which many people in my neck
of the woods have chickens
guineas, peacocks, ducks etc
with, *gasp*, cougars who have
been seen.

Trolling seems to be what you have come
here for. Have fun trolling, trolling,
trolling.

Gwen

Old November 16th 04, 07:51 PM
GeneS

LOL - slow down & READ my posts.

I never said that we live in Austin, we live near Lampasas.
We have lived in the country for over 50 years, so we know
a little bit about animals. I have never see or heard of
a large dog being killed by a cougar - or even a pack of coyotes
in our area.

What I need is a list of potential breeds to review, it is
just possible that there is a breed that I have not considered.
Cow dogs are the usual choice out here - but it never hurts
to do a little research.

Gene

Old November 16th 04, 08:00 PM
Gwen Watson

GeneS wrote:

LOL - slow down & READ my posts.

I never said that we live in Austin, we live near Lampasas.

Again very first post:

GeneS wrote:

I would like to get your opinions about which dog would
be the best choice to purchase, and where to find the dog.
We live near Austin, Texas.

Why didn't you just say Lampasas in the first place?

We have lived in the country for over 50 years, so we know
a little bit about animals. I have never see or heard of
a large dog being killed by a cougar - or even a pack of coyotes
in our area.

What I need is a list of potential breeds to review, it is
just possible that there is a breed that I have not considered.
Cow dogs are the usual choice out here - but it never hurts
to do a little research.

Gene

Gene assuming you aren't trolling. What about
an Anatolian Shepherd? Though these dogs
can become fairly aggressive in the wrong
hands.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...liandog.org%2F

Much of what you said raises "red flags" to those of us that view
our dogs as VERY cherished family members. They live inside
with us. They are only outside when we are outside.

You mentioned coyotes. There has been a recent problem
within the city of Austin in regards to coyotes
lately and it has been on KVUE news a lot.

I don't live in Austin, I live in Spicewood,
about 50 miles South, southeast of you.

I go through Lampasas every time I go
to my MIL.

Gwen

Old November 17th 04, 12:25 AM
J1Boss

"Charlie" writes:

www.geocities.com/viscouspuppy

You have a thick, sticky puppy? Glad she's not VICIOUS.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old November 17th 04, 02:42 AM
GeneS

Thanks.

I have not looked into the Anatolian Shepherd, but I will.
The dog is for my kids & grandkids. I have personally owned only
working dogs, black & tans, cow dogs, etc. - never
a guard dog - my 12ga is just fine:-) My gut feeling was
to suggest a German Shepherd pup with good papers. However,
I am some impressed with the Blue Healer - at least what
I have read so far. They seem intelligent & with a 25 acre dog
proof fence, should have the room to be comfortable. Our
dogs never come inside the house, as they have one of their own.
Not sure if the Blue Healer will harass the neighbor's cattle & deer
hunters near the fences though?

Thanks,
Gene

GeneS wrote:

I would like to get your opinions about which dog would
be the best choice to purchase, and where to find the dog.
We live near Austin, Texas.

Why didn't you just say Lampasas in the first place?

We have lived in the country for over 50 years, so we know
a little bit about animals. I have never see or heard of
a large dog being killed by a cougar - or even a pack of coyotes
in our area.

What I need is a list of potential breeds to review, it is
just possible that there is a breed that I have not considered.
Cow dogs are the usual choice out here - but it never hurts
to do a little research.

Gene

Gene assuming you aren't trolling. What about
an Anatolian Shepherd? Though these dogs
can become fairly aggressive in the wrong
hands.

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...26364354fff2%2
6clickedItemRank%3D3%26userQuery%3Danatolian%2Bshe pherd%26clickedItemURN%3Dh
ttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.anatoliandog.org%252F%26invo cationType%3D-%26fromPage%
3DNSCPIndex2%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3 A%2F%2Fwww.anatoliandog.or

Old November 17th 04, 02:55 AM
diannes

GeneS wrote:
Not sure if the Blue Healer will harass the neighbor's cattle & deer
hunters near the fences though?

You betcha they will. I also wouldn't trust an unsocialized
Australian Cattle Dog (note correct name of breed) not to bite
anybody. I've spent quite a lot of time around them and think
they're admirable dogs, but they don't sound appropriate for
your situation.

JFWIW,

Dianne