Pinga as a dog name

Old December 4th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default Pinga as a dog name

Remember I asked a friend who has fluent Spanish if she'd ever heard of
"pinga" as being slang for penis? And remember she answered that she
never had but added the caveat that her Spanish is from Spain and
Mexico, not Latin America or the Caribbean? Her letter this morning
says that she was reading a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book for a Spanish
literature group, found the language more colloquial and erudite than
usual and therefore harder than the other books she's read for the
group, then said that she wasn't confused by "pinga" because she learned
only recently that it's Latin American for penis.

--Lia

Old December 4th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
found the language more colloquial and erudite

Huh.

Old December 4th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mark Shaw

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Remember I asked a friend who has fluent Spanish if she'd ever heard of
"pinga" as being slang for penis? And remember she answered that she
never had but added the caveat that her Spanish is from Spain and
Mexico, not Latin America or the Caribbean?

I can tell you that it's certainly slang for "penis" in Panama.

Stepping out onto your patio in El Cangrejo and calling for "Pinga"
to come to you would be kind of - interesting.

Her letter this morning
says that she was reading a Gabriel Garcia Marquez book for a Spanish
literature group, found the language more colloquial and erudite than
usual and therefore harder than the other books she's read for the
group, then said that she wasn't confused by "pinga" because she learned
only recently that it's Latin American for penis.

Garcia Marquez is Columbian, which is culturally and historically
tightly bound to Panama, so it makes sense to me that there'd be an
overlap in the slang.

Excellent reading, by the way. Next time you want a great read,
get yourself an English translation of _One Hundred Years of
Solitude_.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
Old December 4th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Mark Shaw wrote:

I can tell you that it's certainly slang for "penis" in Panama.

Stepping out onto your patio in El Cangrejo and calling for "Pinga"
to come to you would be kind of - interesting.

You missed the earlier discussion on naming a puppy Pinga, and I didn't
think of emailing you directly. The question wasn't whether it would be
an appropriate name for a dog in Panama. The question was whether it
would work in an area of the U.S. where there are few or no Spanish
speakers. I got interested in the words aspect and thought it would
probably be O.K. I figure there are no words on combinations of sounds
that don't mean something sexual or derogatory somewhere.

Garcia Marquez is Columbian, which is culturally and historically
tightly bound to Panama, so it makes sense to me that there'd be an
overlap in the slang.

Excellent reading, by the way. Next time you want a great read,
get yourself an English translation of _One Hundred Years of
Solitude_.

I haven't read it yet, but Haruki Murakami got me interested in magical
realism so it is on my list. Recently I've been reading shorter books
that hold my attention while pedaling at the gym. And short stories.
They never used to interest me much, but I've been devouring Alice
Munro. She's this brilliant writer who has been winning awards since
forever and that everyone else has known about but that I only found and
fell in love with in September.

--Lia

Old December 4th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
The question was whether it
would work in an area of the U.S. where there are few or no Spanish
speakers.

The Triangle area in NC? Have you ever been there? And
jeebus - I'm not fluent but I know what "pinga" means.

I'm tempted to post "Look at the schmuck on that camel!"

Old December 4th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Mark Shaw wrote:

I can tell you that it's certainly slang for "penis" in Panama.

Stepping out onto your patio in El Cangrejo and calling for "Pinga"
to come to you would be kind of - interesting.

You missed the earlier discussion on naming a puppy Pinga, and I didn't
think of emailing you directly. The question wasn't whether it would be
an appropriate name for a dog in Panama. The question was whether it
would work in an area of the U.S. where there are few or no Spanish
speakers. I got interested in the words aspect and thought it would
probably be O.K.

Didn't td mention that there are migrant workers in her area?

I'd be reluctant to name a dog Pinga anywhere in the US, given
that the Hispanic population of the US is pushing 15% (not
counting the undocumented workers). I don't know what % speak
Spanish, but according to the US census, about 3/4 of these speak
it 'at home.') And it's the second most common spoken lanugage
in the US, and the US has the fifth largest Spanish-speaking
population of any country in the world.

I certainly wouldn't use it here in NM! :-)

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old December 4th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

FurPaw wrote:

Didn't td mention that there are migrant workers in her area?

Who knows? She lives in the 'hood, but she's apparently also out in
the boonies. There are migrant farm workers, but apparently they
don't speak Spanish. Her family is well off, but poor.

I think TD inhabits a place that is not quite of this world.

--
Shelly
Old December 4th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Mark Shaw wrote:

I can tell you that it's certainly slang for "penis" in Panama.

Stepping out onto your patio in El Cangrejo and calling for "Pinga"
to come to you would be kind of - interesting.

You missed the earlier discussion on naming a puppy Pinga, and I didn't
think of emailing you directly. The question wasn't whether it would be
an appropriate name for a dog in Panama. The question was whether it
would work in an area of the U.S. where there are few or no Spanish
speakers. I got interested in the words aspect and thought it would
probably be O.K. I figure there are no words on combinations of sounds
that don't mean something sexual or derogatory somewhere.

On our road, since every house but two, ours and the neighbor guy next door
to us, have multiple children, I'm pretty sure they all know who Pingu the
penguin is, along with his baby sister Pinga.

http://www.pingu.net/us/intro.html

And the guy nextdoor to us is an aging hippie who most often appears to be
stoned, so I don't think he cares much one way or the other what we call our
dogs. If Jake wants Pinga, WTF cares except for a few tight-assed
bitches.

Back in our old neighborhood, when I dog-sat for my grandpuppies, yelling
'Whiskey' or 'Brandy' out my back door struck me as hilarious. I assumed
neighbors across the back, who might have heard me yelling for 'Whiskey'
bright and early in the morning, probably got a hoot out of it. In fact,
after a week or so of doing it, I was surprised nobody showed up at my door
with a bottle for me in an attempt to 'shut that woman up already.' ;}

td

Old December 4th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

tiny dancer wrote:

On our road, since every house but two, ours and the neighbor guy next door
to us, have multiple children, I'm pretty sure they all know who Pingu the
penguin is, along with his baby sister Pinga.

http://www.pingu.net/us/intro.html

And the guy nextdoor to us is an aging hippie who most often appears to be
stoned, so I don't think he cares much one way or the other what we call our
dogs. If Jake wants Pinga, WTF cares except for a few tight-assed
bitches.

This tight-assed bitch would never assume that the dog would stay
in the same yard for his entire life. He might move to another
house, or he might escape from the yard.

When I was 15, we had a Chihuahua named Pablo. We moved. Pablo
slipped out the front door, and I chased him, yelling, "Pablo,
Pablo! C'mere Pablo!" From the yard next door came a deep
voice, "Yes? Can I help you?" Yep - our new neighbor was named
Pablo. Fortunately, he had a sense of humor, and fortunately
"Pablo" was just a name, not Spanish slang for a male member.
(At 15, I would have been beyond mortified if I had discovered
that I had been shrieking "Penis! Penis!" in any language!)

But hey, if you want to sound muy stupido to us tight-assed
bitches, no es mi problemo.

FurPaw

Old December 4th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
If Jake wants Pinga, WTF cares except for a few tight-assed
bitches.

I've always suspected that you lived in a world without
grownups. More evidence, still!

I expect that a few children speak Spanish, too. However, I
also expect that the likelihood that one of them will ever
enter your house except accompanying someone doing manual
labor approaches zero.

"Y esto es mi perro, Penis."