Teaching your dog to read

Old December 5th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Teaching your dog to read

Since Tuck and Reka are involved with the "Children Reading to Dogs" program,
I bought the book, "Teach Your Dog to Read" Bonnie Bergen ED,D with Saron
Hogan.
It teaches the dog to read flash cards with words on them such as SIT, DOWN,
ROLL OVER, PAW, UP, STAND.

I figured if the children were having issues learning to read, a dog that
wants to learn to read may be inspiring. I started teaching Tuck a couple of
days ago to read arrows. Today I taught him to read the flash cards "SIT,
DOWN, STAND"

Does anyone have any inspiring ways to incorporate this into the R.E.A.D.
program with the kids?
Old December 5th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

There was a new boy in the R.E.A.D. [Reading Education Assistance Dogs]
program today that was terrified of dogs. He did not want to be in the same
building as the dog, so I was surprised that he got volunteered for the
program. They sat him outside the door so he could watch Tuck and the other
students, and he protested even being on the other side of the door from
Tuck.

But as he watched Tuck interact with the students (They got to play
basketball with him if they finished their reading goal in time) he
finally consented to allow the door to be open while he watched.

When it was finally his turn, he even petted Tuck, which was a huge
accomplished based on his total fear of dogs.

Old December 5th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
There was a new boy in the R.E.A.D. [Reading Education Assistance Dogs]
program today that was terrified of dogs. He did not want to be in the
same
building as the dog, so I was surprised that he got volunteered for the
program. They sat him outside the door so he could watch Tuck and the
other
students, and he protested even being on the other side of the door from
Tuck.

But as he watched Tuck interact with the students (They got to play
basketball with him if they finished their reading goal in time) he
finally consented to allow the door to be open while he watched.

When it was finally his turn, he even petted Tuck, which was a huge
accomplished based on his total fear of dogs.

And *that's* another reason why it's such a cool program!

In thoughts to your original question - about incorporating the dog
flashcards words (Sit, etc) ..............
I don't remember what age you are working with, knowing they are low level,
regardless of age, you could have the student do a flashcard of theirs (ask
the teacher for sight words they're having trouble with or story words they
need to know for the week) then the dog can do one. Granted, this may be a
short short short lesson - unless you've got a good number of things in your
arsenal, but you could make sure you only have a couple of student words -
enough to match your canine limits at the time. Or maybe tell the student
that you'll practice one this week if they can practice2 (or 3)... (after
all, it's harder for the dog to learn 1, right?)

Very cool.

Sue and Atty

Old December 5th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
t:

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

1st & 2nd graders And yes, they got to flip some flash cards at him, which
meant they had to read the command that he was to obey

I thought if they found out the dog wanted to read, that perhaps they may
be more inspired... after all, if a dog can do it...

Old December 5th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Chris Williams

Diddy, you are, as always, an inspiration!
Many of our therapy dogs are involved in reading programs ---- and
I know and live a few miles from Bonnie Bergen. I've never put 2+2
together! Duh. She'll probably sell out of flashcards tomorrow.
Thanks!
(and I nag our therapy dog owners about failing to continue training
their dogs. Now, they'll have no excuse.)

Old December 5th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

(Chris Williams) spoke these words of wisdom in
:

Diddy, you are, as always, an inspiration!
Many of our therapy dogs are involved in reading programs ---- and
I know and live a few miles from Bonnie Bergen. I've never put 2+2
together! Duh. She'll probably sell out of flashcards tomorrow.
Thanks!
(and I nag our therapy dog owners about failing to continue training
their dogs. Now, they'll have no excuse.)

My husband was pissed, because he feels I'm pushing Tuck too hard. He's
convinced accelerated learning will burn him up and ruin him. I was showing
DH tonight, what Tuck has learned reading flash cards. He shook his head,
saying it/s unnatural. It's not natural for human's to read either. It's a
learned skill. Why not dog's? But at least with Tuck having the
opportunity to learn to read, at least someone else has broken ground, so
we know it CAN be done.

He always felt that way about Danny too, But Danny died before he ever quit
soaking up information like a sponge. Danny had a real thirst for
learning, and Tuck's is ever increasing every day. I can't engage him
enough to suit him.
Danny asked to be trained every day. i had always hoped that Tuck would be
the same. And last week, i was thinking, i got that dog i had hoped he
would be.
Because Tuck does not think i train him nearly as much as he thinks he
needs.

It's so much better having it that way, than the other way around!
Old December 5th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
There was a new boy in the R.E.A.D. [Reading Education Assistance Dogs]
program today that was terrified of dogs. He did not want to be in the

same
building as the dog, so I was surprised that he got volunteered for the
program. They sat him outside the door so he could watch Tuck and the

other
students, and he protested even being on the other side of the door from
Tuck.

But as he watched Tuck interact with the students (They got to play
basketball with him if they finished their reading goal in time) he
finally consented to allow the door to be open while he watched.

When it was finally his turn, he even petted Tuck, which was a huge
accomplished based on his total fear of dogs.

I'll bet that made you feel so good, diddy! To take a child over-whelmed
with fear of dogs, and watch them learn to trust. Wonderful! And good boy
Tuck too!

td

Old December 5th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Chris Williams

Yea, verily!
Asked someone why she was quitting a very inventive dog trainer.
"Well," she said, "most of us train our dogs to a level we can live
with, then we stop."
Sad, really. Someone wanted to return a dog to Bonnie Bergen's former
facility, "Canine Companions for Independence," because it was curious
and nosing around. It was used to learning and wanted to keep going!!
I find this hard to understand. Don't people find challenging and
interacting with their dog fun?
Some people say they love their dogs because they're "kids who never
leave home'. Well, they're also "students who should never graduate".

Old December 5th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snipped

1st & 2nd graders And yes, they got to flip some flash cards at him,

which
meant they had to read the command that he was to obey

I thought if they found out the dog wanted to read, that perhaps they may
be more inspired... after all, if a dog can do it...

Perhaps have Tuck take turns with the children? Have Tuck become one of the
pupils you are teaching? Learning to 'take turns' in the process?

td

Old December 5th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_2_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
(snip)
Danny asked to be trained every day. i had always hoped that Tuck would be
the same. And last week, i was thinking, i got that dog i had hoped he
would be.
Because Tuck does not think i train him nearly as much as he thinks he
needs.

It's so much better having it that way, than the other way around!

It's been my theory for some time that they are as smart as we'll let them
be.
Karla

Teaching Puppy To Sit Jon Dog behavior 4 October 19th 04 02:02 AM
Teaching Puppy To Sit Jon Dog behavior 0 October 18th 04 05:57 PM
Teaching a 2 yr old to heel... Stuart Friedman Dog behavior 2 September 1st 03 12:02 PM
Teaching a 2 yr old to heel... Stuart Friedman Dog behavior 0 August 28th 03 11:41 PM
Teaching Tricks Chris Jung Dog behavior 0 July 11th 03 10:46 AM