TV training shows and editing

Old December 7th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Chris Williams

Default TV training shows and editing

Please allow me to start a new thread; Sally's loss made it too sad to
continue on the other.

As was pointed out, Animal Planet began the season with two shows:
"Monks of New Skete" and "Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell. The
first went into hiatus after a couple of weeks (taking a small dog to
their facility for thirty days to treat forging on leash?). Victoria
seems to work magic.

Since she is a fellow member of the Canadian-based IPDTA (International
Positive Dog Training Association) I asked how much editing was
involved. She fell about laughing (the Brits do that). "Hours ....
days of reinforcement were left out!).

I worry about the average owner watching Millan. ("Average owners"
don't frequent this group). When his methods are clumsily imitated, harm
can be caused. Many of the lawsuits against him are prompted by the
assistants he employs at his facility.

Diane (where is she?) saw Barbara Woodhouse train, and the woman was
magic with her authority and dog-savvy, but I think she caused great
harm. Her skill with the well-timed "pop" on the chain caused many dogs
to be strangled by people who thought they could be her.

Old December 7th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

(Chris Williams) spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

I have a friend who attended his seminar this weekend. She's a positive
clicker trainer and went there with great skepticism..
There were several dogs brought in from the local humane society, and they
wacthed him work his magic right in front of the audience. No tricks, no
mirrors, and no time lapses.
These dogs were terrificly problematic, and when the audience saw them,
they said, No way is anything happening with them here in front of our
eyes, today.

And it did. Pitbulls trying to kill each other.
My friend walked away a believer, and is doing many things differently at
home and has made changes in her life with her pack.

She also said Cesar was present with his dog, Daddy, and he's not well, and
is going to lose him soon. Everyone including Cesar , was in tears.
Old December 7th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:12:36 -0800, (Chris
Williams) wrote:

I worry about the average owner watching Millan. ("Average owners"
don't frequent this group). When his methods are clumsily imitated, harm
can be caused. Many of the lawsuits against him are prompted by the
assistants he employs at his facility.

What lawsuit(S)? I'm aware of just one, where a dog was injured on
the treadmill, in Millan's absence. He allowed another dog trainer to
use his facility, and a dog was slightly injured by the treadmill,
while under the supervision of the other dog trainer. And apparently
the matter was settled amicably.

Diane (where is she?) saw Barbara Woodhouse train, and the woman was
magic with her authority and dog-savvy, but I think she caused great
harm.

That's because you're still a PP doofus.

Her skill with the well-timed "pop" on the chain caused many dogs
to be strangled by people who thought they could be her.

What a crock of ****!

I can see now that you didn't learn anything, or change much, in your
grand sabbatical, eh?

Still the **** disturber, after all these years.

Isn't it time to grow up, Chris.

Want to worry about something worthwhile?

Worry about all the dogs that don't get *any* training and end up at
the pound.

Millan's show probably saves more canine lives in one episode than you
have in your bizarre, pathetic, misogynist, bigoted life (look up
Chris's old posts to see what I'm talking about).

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

The Flaws In the Iran Report, by John Bolton.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...502234_pf.html

The Science of Gore's Nobel.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/column.../?id=110010947

Talkin' World War III.
http://www.slate.com/id/2178792

Co-ed Combat: The New Evidence That Women Shouldn't Fight the Nation's Wars.
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2...tml#1196697012

Teddy Bears, Parked Cars and Moral Equivalence.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../12/019174.php

Gentry Liberalism:
"Over the last half a century, liberals have moved from strong support for
basic middle-class concerns -- epitomized by the New Deal and the G.I. Bill
-- to policies that reflect the concerns and prejudices of ever more elite
interests. As a result, neither party speaks for broad middle class concerns."
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3533253.story

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish.
http://www.amazon.com/Rescuing-Sprit.../dp/1416559132
Old December 7th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
Please allow me to start a new thread; Sally's loss made it too sad to
continue on the other.

As was pointed out, Animal Planet began the season with two shows:
"Monks of New Skete" and "Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell.

snipped

I've never seen the first program, but I do occasionally watch *Me or the
Dog*. Victoria seems to use a lot of common sense, much like Cesar, in her
training methods. I do enjoy watching her work with the dogs *and* the
owners. As with both programs, it's basically the owners who need most of
the work.

I worry about the average owner watching Millan. ("Average owners"
don't frequent this group). When his methods are clumsily imitated, harm
can be caused. Many of the lawsuits against him are prompted by the
assistants he employs at his facility.

I hadn't heard about lawsuits against Millan? I do understand your concern,
I guess it's just hard for me to comprehend average owners not knowing or
understanding their dogs well enough to perhaps anticipate what the dogs
reaction will be to any sort of training. I certainly don't doubt there are
totally clueless people out there buying dogs. When I've used some of
Cesars methods, I pretty much know ahead of time whether I could possibly
get myself in trouble. As an example, my dogs, especially Merlin, will go
completely nuts if they see a cat outside. Before I *owned* the window, I
made sure *I* had his attention. I made sure he knew it was me here who was
moving in front of that window to back him away from it. I *know* he won't
bite me, once his focus also includes my presence and not simply that cat
that has him so riled up. Merlin is a very stubborn dog. Gracie is more
amenable to training in general.

td

Old December 7th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" none wrote in message:

She also said Cesar was present with his dog, Daddy,

He has said on at least one occassion that Daddy is not his dog. I believe
that the owner is a rapper whose name escapes me at the moment, and he bunks
with CM when the guy is away.

and he's not well, and
is going to lose him soon.

That sucks. He seems like a nice dog. Did he say what was wrong with him?

Suja

Old December 7th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"Suja" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"diddy" none wrote in message:

She also said Cesar was present with his dog, Daddy,

He has said on at least one occassion that Daddy is not his dog. I
believe that the owner is a rapper whose name escapes me at the moment,
and he bunks with CM when the guy is away.

and he's not well, and
is going to lose him soon.

That sucks. He seems like a nice dog. Did he say what was wrong with
him?

Suja

She didn't report to me, I don't know
Old December 7th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
I hadn't heard about lawsuits against Millan? I do understand your concern,
I guess it's just hard for me to comprehend average owners not knowing or
understanding their dogs well enough to perhaps anticipate what the dogs
reaction will be to any sort of training.

tiny, you're an average owner. "He's so *cute*!!!!" but
does he get exercise and training? Hell, no.

Old December 7th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

=========
Oh no, I love that dog Daddy. What is wrong with him, do you know?

Old December 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Suja" wrote in message

"diddy" none wrote in message:

She also said Cesar was present with his dog, Daddy,

He has said on at least one occassion that Daddy is not his dog. I

believe
that the owner is a rapper whose name escapes me at the moment, and he

bunks
with CM when the guy is away.

and he's not well, and
is going to lose him soon.

That sucks. He seems like a nice dog. Did he say what was wrong with

him?

Suja

=========
The last I heard was the rapper was moving away and decided to give Daddy to
Cesar because he loved him so much.

Old December 7th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"montana wildhack" wrote in message:

"Many people donŐt know that Daddy originally belonged to rapper
Redman. When the pit bull was four months old, Redman didnŐt feel he
could care for it properly in his environment. He sought a trainer and,
through a referral, found Cesar. Daddy has been with the Millan family
ever since!"

I could've sworn I saw him at the end of one of the episodes explaining that
Daddy is Redman's dog, he's taken care of him since he was a puppy, and that
he comes over to stay with him when his owner travels.

Suja

On Dog Shows ta Dog behavior 41 June 1st 07 09:45 PM
Dog training radio shows [email protected] Dog behavior 0 April 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Dog shows... rocknrollover.com Dog breeds 74 September 24th 04 04:07 AM
Dog shows... rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 24 September 19th 04 03:21 PM
Dog shows... rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 0 September 17th 04 02:17 PM