Looking for a new companion

Old November 18th 04, 05:10 PM
Chump

Default Looking for a new companion

We recently had a break-in at our home, the thieves shot and killed my
dog August whom I had had for 5 years. Prior to that we had just had
to put down my other dog Sarge after 14 years.

so... I'm looking for a new dog and doing some research to determine
the best fit breed wise.

Our wants are as follows in no particular order:

1. Loyal and obedient (willful dogs might be too much) 2. minimal
shedding 3. good with kids (we don't have any but likely will) 4.
Alert and would bark to protect home - Protective but not bitey 5.
Larger size up to 40-80lbs 6. Easy to train?
7. Socializes well with other dogs and humans that we approve of (we
may get another dog for a total of two) 8. More than likely male for
the first dog

The previous breeds I've had a

German Shepherd
Lab/Rottweiler mix (sarge)
Husky/lab mix (August)

I've been happy with their temperament for the most part except August
was extremely willful (I understand Huskies are that way). This did
cause some problems and I would probably stay away from Husky breeds
in the future.

Any advice or thoughts on this process would be helpful.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Lab or Lab mix again.

Thanks

Jason Holland
Old November 18th 04, 05:37 PM
Tee

"Chump" wrote in message
om...

I've been happy with their temperament for the most part except August
was extremely willful (I understand Huskies are that way). This did
cause some problems and I would probably stay away from Husky breeds
in the future.

Any advice or thoughts on this process would be helpful.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Lab or Lab mix again.

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the break-in and death of August.

The Lab fits all but "minimal shedding" however 7 out of 8 is better than
you'll get with many breeds. I'd recommend adopting one from a shelter
instead of starting with a puppy though. Labs make up the #1 breed in a
great many shelters around the nation. Alot of them are purebred too. By
starting with a shelter dog you'll have several advantages:

1. Shelter dogs provide you with a 1-2 week window of opportunity where
they'll do whatever you want them to as long as they understand what you
want. This is a big boon for quick & easy basic training. While you & the
dog are getting to know each other you'll be setting down the rules, the dog
will be learning them more quickly than if he were a puppy, and he won't
have learned how to get around you or play you like a fiddle yet.

2. Grown dogs of this breed rarely need more than a crash-course in
housetraining so that's one less headache.

3. Shelter dogs, even purebreds, are extremely cheap compared to puppies
from breeders. For an average of $30-$60 you get a dog whose had all his
shots and been neutered. With a puppy you have to make several vet visits
to get the shots done and later pay for the neuter surgery.

4. The obvious is that you'll be saving a good dog's life by adopting.

I've seen so many Labs in shelters that range from puppies (usually mixes)
to young adolescent purebreds of 6 months and up so you can get pretty much
any age range you want. I'd recommend starting with a 3yo because he'll
likely be out of, or nearing the end of, the Lab chewing phase they all go
through.

--
Tara

Old November 18th 04, 07:23 PM
Rocky

Tee said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I've seen so many Labs in shelters that range from puppies
(usually mixes) to young adolescent purebreds of 6 months
and up so you can get pretty much any age range you want.
I'd recommend starting with a 3yo because he'll likely be
out of, or nearing the end of, the Lab chewing phase they
all go through.

I'll second Tara's recommendation.

Jason: An older Lab rescue sounds perfect for the situation you
described. Beware, though, Labs can often be puppies until well
past 3 years old (one of the reasons I like them and enjoy
training them), but they can still be bouncy goofs at 6 years
old.

Old November 18th 04, 08:28 PM
Gwen Watson

Rocky wrote:

but they can still be bouncy goofs at 6 years
old.

If I didn't have Blade's pedigree and know
his breeder I would swear there was a lab
in the "wood pile" in his breeding.

He still acts like a puppy often enough.
Loves swimming more than most labs I know.
And his feet almost appear webbed(just kidding)

Gwen