How to Stop Your Dog's Excessive Barking

Old December 12th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dog Crazy

Default How to Stop Your Dog's Excessive Barking

Barking is a perfectly natural and normal behavior in dogs, but that's
not a good enough explanation for most angry neighbors and napping
relatives. It's both unfair and unrealistic to expect your dogs to
become mute, but here are a few steps to turn down the volume.

Steps

1
Step OneTry to determine why your dog barks'eliminating the cause will
increase your chances of success.
2
Have your dog's favorite treat within reach.
3
Praise the dog for barking once he starts by saying 'Good job' and
then 'What's the matter?'
4
Tell the dog, 'Be quiet.'

For the next steps check out my blog at :

http://stop-dog-barking-now.blogspot.com/
Old December 12th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

On 2007-12-12 05:28:01 -0500, Dog Crazy

said:

4
Tell the dog, 'Be quiet.'

How do you teach the dog what "quiet" means?

Why does that word mean something to the dog?

Would telling your dog to "Be Gnarley" have the same effect?

When I'm trying to teach my dog to 'not bark', I do it during a barking
session. Meaning, my dog is at the window, barking at the UPS truck. I
step in front of dog, take the window spot, say *NO, NO BARK, QUIET*. Then
I place my hand around dogs muzzle to enforce the *no bark, quiet* command.
So my dog knows/understands what it is I am objecting to and associates the
'no bark, quiet' with the barking. Has worked with both Gracie and Merlin.
Not saying they don't sometimes bark at things I don't want them to bark at,
but they KNOW what it is they are doing and they know I want them to stop
it.

td

Old December 12th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

. ..

On 2007-12-12 05:28:01 -0500, Dog Crazy

said:

[...]

===========
How is your daughter's dog doing?

Old December 12th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"pfoley" wrote in message

snipped
===========
How is your daughter's dog doing?

Whiskey is doing about the same. She does occasionally use that back
leg/paw. It looks different though. It reminds me of someone who has
severe arthritis in their hand and can only manage to hold it in sort of a
*claw-like* position. Or someone who has had a stroke. I've also seen
elderly stroke victims hold their hand/s in that position. That's how she
holds that back paw. And when she does use it to either walk or stand on,
it sort of droops a bit, doesn't look like her other paws. She still shows
absolutely no signs of pain though. And Whiskey has always been a dog that
*expressed* pain when she had any. Monte, their other dog, has always been
a trooper with pain, but not Whiskey. If she had pain, we knew it
immediately. That's why, from the start, this thing with her leg had me
thrown. I felt it immediately, manipulated the foot, leg, hip, everything I
could think of and she showed no pain. I bought her some strong
glucosomine/condriotan/MSM tablets and Robin gives them to her a couple
times daily. Other than that, she is about the same. She's less patient
with the other dogs and kids, but I attribute that to her age. IIRC she's
going on 12 now. We make sure she has time and a place to go to be away
from kids and dogs when she wants/needs her peace. Robin has gates up to
segregate the library as a place where either Whiskey can be alone, or Monte
and Kali can be in there allowing Whiskey to have her time alone with the
family. Just depends upon Whiskey's *needs* at the time. Jake, who is
four, is very understanding of all this. The twins, 2 1/2, are harder to
control, hence the need for an alone place for Whiskey. When I was watching
the twins earlier though, I have noticed they are finally making the
connection between *whiskey* & *leg boo boo*, although they still want to
pet her. When they are persistent about it, I stick them in the time
out/naughty chair, so they are getting better about leaving her alone.

Her appetite and bathroom habits seem about the same so far. And she still
loves her *affection* from us adults. She likes nothing better than for me
to sit in her *alone place/room* with her and stroke her and tell her what a
good, sweet baby she is.

I'm hoping she will go along like this for a good while. When our murphy
was diagnosed with melanoma, they gave her six months, tops. And she lived
14 months before it became *time* to put her to sleep.

Thanks for asking about Whiskey. She is never far from our minds because of
the limp. When Murphy was sick, I could sometimes forget for a few moments,
because on the outside she *looked* like the same old murphy dog. With
Whiskey, we are reminded continually because of *seeing* her leg/foot/limp.
Makes it a bit harder in a way.

td

Old December 12th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
. ..

"pfoley" wrote in message

snipped
===========
[...]

I can't remember if you told me if the cancer had spread or not.
If not, would removing the leg help at all?

td

Old December 12th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"pfoley" wrote in message

"tiny dancer" wrote in message

snipped

Thanks for asking about Whiskey. She is never far from our minds

because
of
the limp. When Murphy was sick, I could sometimes forget for a few

moments,
because on the outside she *looked* like the same old murphy dog. With
Whiskey, we are reminded continually because of *seeing* her

leg/foot/limp.
Makes it a bit harder in a way.

===========
I can't remember if you told me if the cancer had spread or not.
If not, would removing the leg help at all?

That's what they were going to do, but when they did further testing on her,
it was discovered she had a large tumor in one of her lungs.

td

Excessive barking Keith Beck Dog behavior 0 August 30th 04 12:10 AM
Excessive barking Keith Beck Dog behavior 0 August 30th 04 12:10 AM
excessive barking Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 06:07 AM
excessive barking Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 06:07 AM
excessive barking Sunni12 Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 06:07 AM