Got Days, and reflections thereon...

Old December 12th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

Default Got Days, and reflections thereon...

I'm starting this in its own thread, as I don't want to derail Luce's
thread....

"Janet Boss" wrote:
Happy gotcha day Luce! 4 years already! Where does time go?

Heh. That's what I was thinking this morning, just before I read Elegy's
post.... I realized, while paying some bills (e.g. writing the date on
checks) that this week will see the *12th* anniversary of Brenin's Got Day.

The anniversary is made especially poignant due to the fact that age is
finally starting to catch up with him; recent blood and urine work reveal
that his kidney function has apparently begun to diminish.
He had a geriatric blood workup about 2 months ago, which I was told came
back "beautiful", but when I tested his pee in class about a month later, a
couple of the values came up off - somewhat low specific gravity, somewhat
high PH, and protien levels one notch above normal.
I took him to the vet last week, and her urinalysis came up the same. She
then pulled the blood tests and re-checked the results (which were
originally interpreted for me by a vet tech), and found that while his BUN
and creatinine levels *had* tested in the "normal" range, they were at the
very TOP of that range - IOW, they were elevated, just not quite far enough
to tip into the "abnormal".

It isn't affecting him much so far, if at all. He is seeming to drink and
pee a bit more lately, and gets tired a bit sooner - which for Bren, is
still a heck of a lot longer than it takes many dogs half his age - but
both of those things could also be due to just plain being elderly. I'll
have a better idea of things in a couple of months, though, when we re-test
to see what change, if any, there's been - that will give some indication of
how rapidly things are progressing.
And no treatment indicated at the moment, other than giving him a higher
proportion of senior dog food (to lower protien intake), giving fish oil,
and making sure he has plenty of water and doesn't have to go long periods
of time without opportunity to pee.

All of which is not surprising or horribly upsetting, given that he's a
largish dog nearly 13 who's had a bout with Lymes, but it does reinforce the
knowlege that our journey together is nearing its end.

Old December 12th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"sionnach" wrote in message:

The anniversary is made especially poignant due to the fact that age is
finally starting to catch up with him; recent blood and urine work reveal
that his kidney function has apparently begun to diminish.

I am probably seeing zebras where none exist because of what we're going
through. What you've described as Brenin's symptoms can be explained by a
myriad of health problems, including kidney disease and Cushing's. WRT
Cushing's anyway, if you are seeing redistribution of fat or other changes
in his overall look, hind end weakness, worsening coat condition/thinning
hair, etc. in addition to what you've described, please look into it. It's
a very treatable illness.

Suja

Old December 12th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"sionnach" wrote:

it does reinforce the
knowlege that our journey together is nearing its end.

so sad to read.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 12th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"Suja" wrote:

I am probably seeing zebras where none exist because of what we're going
through. What you've described as Brenin's symptoms can be explained by a
myriad of health problems, including kidney disease and Cushing's.

Yep.

WRT Cushing's anyway, if you are seeing redistribution of fat or other
changes
in his overall look, hind end weakness, worsening coat condition/thinning
hair, etc. in addition to what you've described

Well.... he's not quite as muscular as he used to be, and is a wee bit
thicker in the middle, but that's pretty much normal for his age - as is
diminished kidney function & the occasional aches and pains. But his coat is
lovely, and he still jumps around when it's time for walks, dances and roos
on the agility startline, and even plays with Morag a bit. :-)

However, I *will* be following up with re-testing - in another 6-8 weeks if
I don't see any changes, sooner if I see any changes - and I will keep
Cushings in mind.

Old December 12th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"elegy" wrote:

when you've checked his urine, have you checked first morning pee?

No, both times it was fairly late in the day. It's a night class, so that
time it was around 7 p.m., and the vet appointment was at 6; I collected the
urine outside just before we came in.

that's the most accurate test of the kidneys' ability to concentrate
urine.

Good to know. I'm going to look into getting some test strips so that I can
check him every other week or so, and first thing in the day would be the
best time to do it anyway.

Old December 13th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"sionnach" wrote:

Good to know. I'm going to look into getting some test strips so that I can
check him every other week or so, and first thing in the day would be the
best time to do it anyway.

I swear I wrote more earlier - oh well. Anyway - this is absolutely
right for all urine tests. Isn't it amazing how much we pay attention
to subtle changes and other people don't know their pet is sick until it
has gone beyond obvious? Not that some things aren't hidden (like
Franklin's cancer) but still.

He's had some pretty great years with you and I hope he has some more to
come!

--
Janet Boss
Old December 13th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"sionnach" wrote in message:

Good to know. I'm going to look into getting some test strips so that I

can
check him every other week or so, and first thing in the day would be the
best time to do it anyway.

And if you want to get picky about it, see if you can make sure that he
doesn't get anything to drink for 8 hours prior to collecting the sample.
Inability to concentrate urine (protein loss, etc.etc.) under those
circumstances is definitely indicative of something being off.

Suja

Old December 13th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

sionnach said in part......
this week will see the 12th anniversary of Brenin's Got Day............
_____________________
Happy Anniversary Brenin
I hope his health problems can be resolved and that you have many times
ahead to reflect on.....

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 13th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"sionnach" wrote in message
(snip)
Heh. That's what I was thinking this morning, just before I read Elegy's
post.... I realized, while paying some bills (e.g. writing the date on
checks) that this week will see the *12th* anniversary of Brenin's Got

Day.
(snip)
All of which is not surprising or horribly upsetting, given that he's a
largish dog nearly 13 who's had a bout with Lymes, but it does reinforce

the
knowlege that our journey together is nearing its end.

We know what we are setting ourselves up for at the beginning, how much it
will hurt. But, that doesn't stop us, or even slow us down. The love is
too much a part of us to deny.

Happy Got Day Brenin, you are wonderful!
Karla

Old December 13th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"sionnach" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

All of which is not surprising or horribly upsetting, given
that he's a largish dog nearly 13 who's had a bout with
Lymes, but it does reinforce the knowlege that our journey
together is nearing its end.

I've been along for most of those years, vicariously. Y'all
sound like you're still having a good time for now. Not great,
but good is acceptable after a long and happy life.

Keep on Brenin and Sarah.