ugh, PETA

Old December 14th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

Default ugh, PETA

did you see this?

http://www.peta.org/feat/abc/video2.asp

Old December 14th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"BethInAK" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

http://www.peta.org/feat/abc/video2.asp

It's very hard to swallow their message that buying from a breeder means
animals in shelters die.

Especially from a source that has no qualms about killing their own animals
in their own shelters....

But , My husband is making new puppy noises. He's spent the last two months
internet puppy researching. (I do NOT want a new puppy!) I'm considering
helping him, to avoid some kind of nightmare. Helping him does not indicate
consent, it's more self preservation.

He's looking for something specific. He's not going to be buying from a
shelter, and if he does not find what he's looking for, he's not going to
get a dog.

Buying from a breeder does NOT necessarily mean you are killing a dog in
the shelter instead. Not if you weren't going to take it anyway.

It pisses me off that PETA wants to assign automatic guilt just because.
Sounds like Christianity to me. You are a sinner because you were born....

I may be a sinner because of A) B) C) D) E) and many more multiple choice
options, but NOT because I was born. EXCUSE ME!

I didn't kill any dogs because I own Tuck. I would only have Reka, if I
did not have Tuck, and as far as I'm concerned, Reka was going to be my
last dog if I didn't get Tuck. And Tuck IS my last dog.

Old December 14th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

did you see this?

YES, I posted this a few days ago under the heading "commericals" but no one
responded.

http://www.peta.org/feat/abc/video2.asp

I couldn't believe the video when I saw it! How awful!

Old December 14th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

did you see this?

YES, I posted this a few days ago under the heading
"commericals" but no one responded.

Heh, I posted the same thing in the middle of another thread,
also a few days ago.

It does what commercials are intended for. You watched it, I
watched it, we both told others to watch it.

Old December 14th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

did you see this?

YES, I posted this a few days ago under the heading
"commericals" but no one responded.

Heh, I posted the same thing in the middle of another thread,
also a few days ago.

that's really funny. I missed it but I delete a few threads that I am not
interested in to keep things simple.

It does what commercials are intended for. You watched it, I
watched it, we both told others to watch it.

yup.

Old December 14th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_2_]

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
news
did you see this?

YES, I posted this a few days ago under the heading "commericals" but no

one
responded.

I did see it when you posted it. Have to admit though, both of 'em kind of
reminded me of a Saturday Night Live skit.

td

Old December 14th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"BethInAK" wrote in message
did you see this?

http://www.peta.org/feat/abc/video2.asp

I don't think a commercial like that will change anyone's behavior. It was
really rather disgusting. But it may be true in some cases where someone
might just assume they are getting a better dog from a breeder, and are not
too particular about the exact breed.

Perhaps there should be a "breeder's tax" on every sale of a dog, and use
the revenue to support shelters. In that way, buying a dog from a breeder
would help ensure that other dogs in shelters are not killed, and it may
sway some people to get their dogs from shelters. I know some people will
give a kneejerk response about "no more taxes", but they are an effective
means of moderating behavior by economic means.

The real problem, as my friend in AC sees it, is that dogs are often
discarded at ages 6 months to 1 year, when they grow out of cute puppyhood
and start emitting unwanted behavior because of poor training, abuse,
neglect, or irresponsibility. Perhaps there can be a way to encourage
people to treat their dogs properly. Maybe a dog license should be like a
driver's license, and require the potential owner to pass at least a
written test, and maybe even a "walker's test" to see if the owner treats
the dog properly and knows how, and is physically able, to maintain
control.

Paul and Muttley

Old December 14th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

Buying from a breeder does NOT necessarily mean you are killing a dog in
the shelter instead. Not if you weren't going to take it anyway.

Absolutely true, and something lost on vigilantes.

I am not interested in getting a puppy from a shelter. I very much
wanted the puppy I got from a breeder. OTOH, when I'm in the market for
an adult dog, a shelter or rescue is my first stop. 2 out of 3 dogs in
the house are from a shelter, and 1 of 2 cats (the other a product of a
cat found on the street). I have no guilt associated with wanting my
well bred puppy and I resent others trying to assign it to me.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 14th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

Perhaps there should be a "breeder's tax" on every sale of a dog, and use
the revenue to support shelters.

Do you lie awake thinking of idiotic ideas?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 14th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom
in :

In article , diddy none
wrote:

Buying from a breeder does NOT necessarily mean you are killing a dog in
the shelter instead. Not if you weren't going to take it anyway.

Absolutely true, and something lost on vigilantes.

I am not interested in getting a puppy from a shelter. I very much
wanted the puppy I got from a breeder. OTOH, when I'm in the market for
an adult dog, a shelter or rescue is my first stop. 2 out of 3 dogs in
the house are from a shelter, and 1 of 2 cats (the other a product of a
cat found on the street). I have no guilt associated with wanting my
well bred puppy and I resent others trying to assign it to me.

there are many people better off with an adult dog, especially if they have
small children. I would not hesitate to adopt off petfinder if I were in
the market for an adult dog, because Petfinder would allow me to sift
quickly through thousands of miles of shelters to locate what I'm looking
for.

but even then, if a breeder had not bred Tuck exclusively for me, I would
not have gottan another dog at all.