Lost dogs and too much law

Old December 20th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default Lost dogs and too much law

The coolest dog showed up on my doorstep this evening, brought
in by a daycare client who found her sitting in front of my
porch. If you've seen my house on my websites, you'll know
that this wasn't a casual walk-by, what with the slope and
stairs and all.

All I can suppose is that she saw the other dogs through my
front window. I welcomed her in and she was friendly with the
other dogs (separated by a baby gate). And even Friday
accepted her, though through the gate - I was the reserved
one. He does like longer-haired girls.

I phoned animal services, but because of privacy laws they
didn't have accesss to the owner's information. In the far
past, when I've found lost dogs, animal services gave me the
phone number. In the near past, I've given animal services my
phone number to have the owner call me. No more, nuh uh -
they no longer have access to the information under access-to-
information laws.

I chose to hold on to her and opened up my windows and doors.
She was well groomed so I knew someone should be yelling for
her. Someone did and he was pretty happy when I yelled out
that I had her. I want a Siberian Husky.

Old December 20th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
I want a Siberian Husky.

Well, I know people in Alberta.

When I first got Image I thought it might be fun to do
agility with her. She's extremely light on her feet, deft,
quick, and smart on top of it. But then I realized she's
also extremely opinionated and stubborn and has her own
ideas of how to get from here to there, and the likelihood
that she'd stay on course really wasn't at all good.

Old December 20th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Rocky wrote:

I chose to hold on to her and opened up my windows and doors.
She was well groomed so I knew someone should be yelling for
her.

Clever! I would not have thought of that.

One thing I recommend to people, if the timing is right, is to ask
their mail carrier. They usually know most of the dogs in the area,
so if the dog is local, they might be able to point you to the right
direction.

Someone did and he was pretty happy when I yelled out
that I had her. I want a Siberian Husky.

Please to be getting in line.

--
Shelly
Old December 20th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Rocky" wrote in message
[...]

Luckily our AC can still give out the phone numbers!! thank goodness.

I'm glad she found her way home.

Old December 20th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"Rocky" wrote in message
(snip)
I chose to hold on to her and opened up my windows and doors.
She was well groomed so I knew someone should be yelling for
her. Someone did and he was pretty happy when I yelled out
that I had her. I want a Siberian Husky.

That was really good thinking.

Last summer there were two Sibes loose in my neighborhood.

I was about a block ahead of the guy following them when I noticed what was
going on, so I also started following. Those dogs can move like lightening
and look like they're standing still.

The wife drove up with the car, opened the door and you know the rest.

Apparently they were just moving in and the dogs got loose in the general
mayhem. I haven't seen them loose again. They also have a Doxie that was
cruising with the Sibes but poor fella couldn't keep up. It made him cranky
and he was barking.
Karla

Old December 21st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

At least in our area the court house is very nice about helping dogs get
home. I've found at least 5 dogs over the last 3 years and in all cases I
called the court house with the tag numbers even with expired tags and they
looked up the owners information so I could get in touch with them.

Celeste

Old December 21st 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Spot" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

At least in our area the court house is very nice about
helping dogs get home.

My city's animal services is great in that regard. When a pet
is picked up, if it has a traceable licence, and the owner is
home, the animal will be returned to the door along with a $25
fine.

Old December 22nd 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Shelly said in part.....
One thing I recommend to people, if the timing is right, is to ask the
mail carrier.
They usually know most of the dogs in the area..........
_________________
Shelly,
That is a clever idea, and one I will rely on the next time I am faced
with a lost dog. The UPS man would be the ticket for ID'ing my dogs.
He is here often, but those UPS people can't slow down long enough for
you to ask.
I have stated numerous times that all of my dogs are from the street,
and they are, but that does not mean I did not attempt to find their
owners. My former husband found Buck running down Dixie Highway, at
night, in freezing rain. He is black, it was not a good night to be
out. I put up flyers, ran an ad in the paper, as I quickly came to know
him as an escape artist. I still think, he probably just "got out" one
time too many.
Anyway, the next time I am confronted with a stray. I will check out
the mail lady. She sees and knows everything Why didn't I think of
that?

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 22nd 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Spot" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

At least in our area the court house is very nice about
helping dogs get home.

My city's animal services is great in that regard. When a pet
is picked up, if it has a traceable licence, and the owner is
home, the animal will be returned to the door along with a $25
fine.

that is fabulous. dog taxi service!

dogs lost Melissa Dog rescue 1 March 5th 05 07:37 AM
Lost dogs Melissa Dog rescue 0 March 5th 05 07:07 AM
Man Charged With Scamming Owners Of Lost Dogs buzzsaw Dog behavior 0 March 2nd 05 11:40 PM
Lost your Pet? William Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 03:44 PM
Sites please for lost dogs culprit Dog behavior 15 October 22nd 03 05:44 PM