Dog Urinating on Beds

Old December 21st 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
lindaofah

Default Dog Urinating on Beds

I'm new to this group and really need your input. My 13 year old
female has been urinating on her bed in addition to our bed or
wherever she beds down. Have taken her to the vet - blood work, urine
culture, ultrasound of bladder all revealed no problem. Put on Prion
for urinary incontinence. Has not helped. Almost seems to be passive
aggressive behavior but dog has very sweet disposition. Wetting her
bedding or our bed occurs a few times each month. She has 24/7 access
to outdoors via a doggy door and goes for at least 2 walks each day.
Any thoughts or
suggestions?
Old December 21st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

lindaofah said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Almost seems to be passive
aggressive behavior but dog has very sweet disposition.

Certainly not passive aggressive.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

She's getting old - relaxing/atrophy/loss of control of those
muscles can result in leakage. Sometimes it's diffuclt to
diagnose getting-old stuff.

Since you and your vet have effectively ruled out non age-
related medical reasons, you may only be left with management,
like plastic linings on the things on which she likes to sleep.

I went through similar issues with a dog of the same age. Her's
turned out to be severely sore hips so couldn't finish the job
in the normal manner and leaked later (my solution was to steady
her while she squatted). Good luck, and have patience.

Old December 21st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

lindaofah wrote:
I'm new to this group and really need your input. My 13 year old
female has been urinating on her bed in addition to our bed or
wherever she beds down. Have taken her to the vet - blood work, urine
culture, ultrasound of bladder all revealed no problem. Put on Prion
for urinary incontinence. Has not helped. Almost seems to be passive
aggressive behavior but dog has very sweet disposition. Wetting her
bedding or our bed occurs a few times each month. She has 24/7 access
to outdoors via a doggy door and goes for at least 2 walks each day.
Any thoughts or
suggestions?

From what you've told us, I'd say it was definitely a physical problem.
I'd keep at the veterinarian until it was found. When my Genny was
getting older and started leaking, the vet would give her a shot,
steroids, I think, and that would solve the problem for several months.
As she got older, the medicine wouldn't last as long. There were
pills too.

In the mean time while you look for the physical problem, make sure she
sleeps somewhere easy to clean up. If you have a bathroom that opens on
to the bedroom where you sleep, you might put a ton of old towels on the
floor for her and a baby gate to keep her in. That way she's still
sleeping near you; she's still sleeping on something comfortable, and
when the wetting happens, you just throw the towels in the washing
machine and mop the bathroom floor.

--Lia

OT-Dog beds Kathleen Dog behavior 47 December 20th 07 07:22 PM
Dog beds meemaw Dog breeds 1 April 29th 07 03:20 AM
Dog Beds [email protected] Dogs - general 0 November 23rd 05 08:07 PM