How do you cook tripe?

Old December 25th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GillisMcGill

Default How do you cook tripe?

I found some white tripe at the grocery store. I assumed it was clean
so I cut it up and I am boiling it.

However I am seeing where some say I should have scrubbed it and then
par boiled it thrown out the water and then added more water and cook
it several hours.

Should I have cleaned it first?- because I didn't. I just put it in a
pot of water. Now I am wondering if I should feed it to her. And
what about the broth?

I'll continue to cook it and hold off feeding it to her until I hear
back from someone here.

In the mean time..

So, "if" she will eat the stuff once it's soft enough to eat, I am
keeping my fingers crossed.

I found a feed store in town that sells a canned dog food that has
tripe - may be all tripe I don't know, forgot the name of it - but in
any case I didn't find the stroe until after 5 PM and they are closed
for Christmas so in the mean time I am trying this.

If my do eats this my next idea is to go to the meat processing place
for and ranchers and hunters in the hope I can find some green tripe
there or maybe venison tripe.

So next question. If my dog won't eat it raw I'll try cooking it.
But how do I prepare "green" tripe? I understand it stinks pretty bad
and even though it's below zero outside here [Wyoming] I may crank up
the BBQ outside and cook it there LOL. I can picture this.. me
outside all bundled up in my ski clothes standing over my BBQ grill
stirring a pot of tripe. Boy my neighbor is qoing to have questions.
Ha!

By the way you guys have been wonderful about helping me with my 14
year old Beardie [diagnosed with KD]. I know she will never be cured
but it's my hope I can slow all this down. Anyway thank you all.

~ Gillis
Old December 25th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

GillisMcGill wrote:

Should I have cleaned it first?- because I didn't. I just put it in a
pot of water. Now I am wondering if I should feed it to her. And
what about the broth?

I'll continue to cook it and hold off feeding it to her until I hear
back from someone here.

I buy tripe from the grocery store to make menudo, and I just put it in
a pot of beef broth to cook, and it's fine for us. It doesn't take
several hours to cook through, but we like a chewy consistency. I don't
parboil it or anything.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old December 27th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

GillisMcGill schrieb:
I found some white tripe at the grocery store. I assumed it was clean
so I cut it up and I am boiling it.

However I am seeing where some say I should have scrubbed it and then
par boiled it thrown out the water and then added more water and cook
it several hours.

Should I have cleaned it first?- because I didn't. I just put it in a
pot of water. Now I am wondering if I should feed it to her. And
what about the broth?

I'll continue to cook it and hold off feeding it to her until I hear
back from someone here.

In the mean time..

So, "if" she will eat the stuff once it's soft enough to eat, I am
keeping my fingers crossed.

I wouldn't cook it unless she won't or can't eat it any other way; the
nurtritional value is higher if it's raw. Although, to be honest, I'm
not sure that white tripe has all that much nutritional value; it's been
heat-bleached already and cleaned of the half-digested plant material
that can make it such a valuable addition to the diet.

If my do eats this my next idea is to go to the meat processing place
for and ranchers and hunters in the hope I can find some green tripe
there or maybe venison tripe.

So next question. If my dog won't eat it raw I'll try cooking it.
But how do I prepare "green" tripe? I understand it stinks pretty bad
and even though it's below zero outside here [Wyoming] I may crank up
the BBQ outside and cook it there LOL. I can picture this.. me
outside all bundled up in my ski clothes standing over my BBQ grill
stirring a pot of tripe. Boy my neighbor is qoing to have questions.
Ha!

That would be a true labour of love!
I wouldn't cook it, but green tripe is definitely the version to go for,
and you can make it easier to chew (if that's a problem) by chopping or
mincing (grinding) it.

For a dog with kidney problems, I'd limit the quantity of things like
tripe and give mainly higher-quality muscle meats instead. I'm sure the
pages buglady has recommnended already say this, but just to be on the
safe side --

All the best,
Sally

Old December 28th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"GillisMcGill" wrote in message
I found some white tripe at the grocery store. I assumed it was clean
so I cut it up and I am boiling it.

The tripe that you find in the grocery stores has been cleaned and bleached
to make it fit for human consumption. It is virtually useless to a dog.
"Green" tripe is simply that... the uncooked, uncleaned lining of animals'
stomachs, chock-full of nutrients not just from the animal, but also from
the mostly-digested whatever it ate last. It smells awful (to humans) and
dogs love, love, love it! I buy it in tins as I don't have a butcher that
actually butchers animals anywhere near me. Tripett is the brand I've
chosen. They carry green beef tripe, venison tripe, and a couple of tripe
specialty blends with salmon or lamb and some other things. The ingredient
lists are tiny and all natural. My pup adores it. It is considered a
supplement, and I mix about a quarter of a cup with his morning cup of
kibble each day. I don't give it more than once a day. He's doing
wonderfully on it, shiny coat, healthy and fit.

If you find some green tripe somewhere, you wouldn't cook it. You would
give it raw, as a kibble topper or a wonderful snack. Viva la stink!!

Phyrie
--
Kiba the Cav's Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyrie/...758930/detail/

Old December 31st 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Many Dogs \(flick\)

"Phyrie" wrote in message

snipped.

The tripe that you find in the grocery stores has been cleaned and
bleached to make it fit for human consumption. It is virtually useless to
a dog. "Green" tripe is simply that... the uncooked,

If it's canned, it's been cooked, or the contents of the can would putrefy
and explode.

flick 100785

Old January 4th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"Many Dogs (flick)" wrote in message
. ..
"Phyrie" wrote in message

snipped.

The tripe that you find in the grocery stores has been cleaned and
bleached to make it fit for human consumption. It is virtually useless
to a dog. "Green" tripe is simply that... the uncooked,

If it's canned, it's been cooked, or the contents of the can would putrefy
and explode.

flick 100785

Oh, yes, I agree, but the OP was talking about raw tripe from the store. He
was asking how to cook it. The product I feed from cans, has, in the
canning process, been cooked, although they begin with uncooked, uncleaned,
raw green tripe. The producers claim "lab tests on the final product show
that beneficial nutrients have been retained after the canning process".
Certainly the smell has!

Phyrie

Old January 4th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"Phyrie" wrote in message
newssgfj.45490$UZ4.36896@edtnps89...

snip

The producers claim "lab tests on the final product show
that beneficial nutrients have been retained after the canning process".

Sorry, that statement from the Tripett website should read "...that the

Old January 4th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"Phyrie" spoke these words of wisdom in

"Phyrie" wrote in message

snipped.

The tripe that you find in the grocery stores has been cleaned and
bleached to make it fit for human consumption. It is virtually
useless to a dog. "Green" tripe is simply that... the uncooked,

If it's canned, it's been cooked, or the contents of the can would
putrefy and explode.

flick 100785

Oh, yes, I agree, but the OP was talking about raw tripe from the store.
He was asking how to cook it. The product I feed from cans, has, in
the canning process, been cooked, although they begin with uncooked,
uncleaned, raw green tripe. The producers claim "lab tests on the final
product show that beneficial nutrients have been retained after the
canning process". Certainly the smell has!

Phyrie

It makes you wonder if there are really any real benefits then.

I give the tripe from deer to a friend. I used to feed it to my dogs. not
any more.
I divorced anything and everything relating to raw and natural feeding.
Well,, not entirely, my dogs do get a raw meaty bone ocassionally, but not
as a diet
Old January 4th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..

snip

It makes you wonder if there are really any real benefits then.

I don't know, for sure. My vet thinks it's great stuff, and Kiba certainly
looks good on it. My breeder feeds it. I've read lots of glowing
testimonials on the internet, but what does that mean, in the grand scope of
things? I do know that dogs go ga-ga over it. I left half a tin over at my
daughter's, and she gave some to her kibble fed dog. He went nuts. She
called me and said she didn't know a nine year old, arthritic, huge
shephard/lab could dance!

I give the tripe from deer to a friend. I used to feed it to my dogs. not
any more.
I divorced anything and everything relating to raw and natural feeding.
Well,, not entirely, my dogs do get a raw meaty bone ocassionally, but not
as a diet

I was tempted to try a RAW diet before I brought Kiba home, but my
husband, mother, daughter, etc. protested. I did a lot of research, and
while I tend to agree with the RAW folks that a dog's anatomy hasn't changed
significantly during domestication, I had to admit that millions and
millions of dogs have lived just fine on commercial food. So I decided to
compromise. I looked for a food that had no cereal, had top quality human
grade proteins, and other named ingredients. I wanted one made in Canada,
and a few other criteria. I found Orijen, and Kiba has been doing very well
on it. I supplement his morning meal with three-four tablespoons of tripe,
and he loves it. Is he receiving all the benefits of raw tripe, which I
have absolutely no access to anyway? I'm not sure, but he looks great,
feels great, and my vet is happy with him.

Phyrie
--
Kiba the Cav's Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyrie/...758930/detail/

How to cook a dog ??? Ron Main Dogs - general 6 December 21st 05 01:53 AM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 06:05 PM
She doesn't cook, Diane, but .... Chris Dog behavior 3 February 17th 04 03:58 PM
She doesn't cook, Diane, but .... Chris Dog behavior 0 February 17th 04 02:06 PM
She doesn't cook, Diane, but .... Chris Dog behavior 0 February 17th 04 02:06 PM