Security heads-up on all that blogspot spam

Old December 28th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Security heads-up on all that blogspot spam

[]
FYI on all that blog spam from people trying to get you to
visit their Blogspot blogs:

In an attack that showcases what cyber criminals have in
store for Web 2.0 next year, the individual or group
behind the Storm worm is distributing new versions of
the malware with the help of hijacked and newly-created
Google Blogspot blogs.

[ ... ]

Security Fix recently was made aware of another,
unrelated way that criminals are using Blogspot blogs to
redirect traffic toward malicious sites. Clicking on
links anywhere on this Blogspot site -- which appears to
be a strange mock-up of a Bank of America phishing
e-mail - takes you to a nicely-done Bank of America
phishing site that is still active as of this writing.

This particular phishing site uses what's known as a
man-in-the-middle attack, so when you pass your logon
credentials to the phishing site, it will actually log
you in at the real Bank of America Web site while
stealing your credentials.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...=news-col-blog

Old December 28th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...=news-col-blog

Interesting!

I have a coworker who manages, despite having anti-virus and
anti-spyware software running on her work machine, to get some sort
of foul bug just about once a week. I've told her that she's
obviously (repeatedly!) visiting a malicious or compromised website.
I can't tell if she's just not smart enough to comprehend the
problem (even after it's explained to her!), or if she simply
doesn't care, or what. Hopefully, she's more careful with her
personal machine, but somehow I doubt it.

I imagine there are a lot of folks out there who are just like her.

--
Shelly
Old December 28th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
ceb[_2_]

(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:fl2ns4$bqq$1
@panix3.panix.com:

[]
[...]

I use blogspot and I don't understand this post. Can my site be hijacked
without my knowing about it? Wouldn't it look different? Mine is just a
blog, I'm not selling anything. Is it safe to keep my blog on blogspot?
What do you think? Would any of the other basic blogging sites be safer,
if blogspot it not?

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes
Old December 28th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
ceb wrote:
I use blogspot and I don't understand this post. Can my site be hijacked
without my knowing about it?

I don't know. Apparently there's some consensus that the
worm links are being inserted through some sort of hole in
the feature that allows you to mail in blog posts.

Is it safe to keep my blog on blogspot?
What do you think? Would any of the other basic blogging sites be safer,
if blogspot it not?

I really don't know. I'd try to shore things up the best I
could, in any event. If there are Blogspot settings that
allow you to disable submitting via email, for example, I'd
go with that, and I expect I wouldn't use my most commonly-
used email addresses as the address associated with the
blog, or use the same administrative email address as the
blog email address (if you can dissociate them), and so on.

I think the main risk is to visitors, who might find the
titillating descriptions of the links irresistible.

Old December 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
ceb wrote:
Are you making fun of my total inability to think up interesting
titles???

Well, I don't know. Better use of titles could boost your
traffic.

One of my favorite dog blogs is "Life With Dogs in the
Yukon," partly because she's got loads of great pictures of
her dogs, and partly because she's got a really interesting
life of which I'm probably more than a little envious.
Anyway, she recently posted about search terms that led
people to her blog (I don't know how she found those out).
An excerpt:

"How to spell Porcupine" - hey, turns out they didn't
need to do a search at all!! Doh!

"dogs eating insulation" is still a popular search. I
can't believe that many people have that problem...

And my absolute favourite: "Beer bottle roof insulation"
- holy crap, I could have saved a TON of money if I had
that valuable bit of info while I was insulating the
cabin!!

http://keeponsledding.blogspot.com/2.../searches.html

Obviously she's making the right vocabulary choices.

Old December 28th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

Are you making fun of my total inability to think up interesting
titles???

You'd be surprised. I've had traffic from keyword searches for
everything from "sanitary pad and tampon porn pictures" to "picture
of yoplait women eating yogurt together this is good commercial" to
"victorian punishment for wayward girls." It boggles the mind.

Thanks for the info. I'll disable the email submission, which I don't use
anyway because I don't know why I would. I don't think my email addy is
up there but I'll double-check.

You probably know where to find it, but if you didn't set up posting
via e-mail, then you should be fine. You can also put it in draft
mode, which should help. I don't post via e-mail, but I have
posting-via-Flickr set up, which makes me a little nervous.

--
Shelly
Old December 28th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:
(I don't know how she found those out).

Most web hosts provide stats, including keyword analysis. Even some
of the 3rd party stats providers, like StatCounter and SiteMeter,
provide limited keyword analysis. I find it immensely entertaining,
but as I've mentioned, I may be a little weird.

http://keeponsledding.blogspot.com/2.../searches.html

Obviously she's making the right vocabulary choices.

And lots of fun pictures, too!

--
Shelly
Old December 28th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shelly wrote:

You probably know where to find it, but if you didn't set up posting via
e-mail, then you should be fine. You can also put it in draft mode,
which should help. I don't post via e-mail, but I have
posting-via-Flickr set up, which makes me a little nervous.

Speaking of bugs and stats and whatnot... When checking my referrer
stats, I noticed that I had a huge number of hits (10%, which is a
lot) from a domain that was clearly not legit. I Googled the domain
(instead of just going to them directly), and found that it is a
virus site.

Another thing to watch out for is referrer spam. Some folks post
lists of sites that link to them, which is a bad idea. You end up
with stuff like Romanian kiddie porn popping up in the lists, and
that's just not okay. And then there is the potential for your
readers to follow links that lead to viruses, too.

--
Shelly
Old December 28th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
And lots of fun pictures, too!

Well, yeah - tons of puppy porn, snow porn, and all sorts of
great stuff. She's the one who had photographs of herself
showing members of White Stripes how to throw a native
spear, and this summer she cleared some land, moved into a
wall tent, and built a cabin, all of which she wrote up in a
lot of detail. Way more interesting than the "Today I
sealed my basement" stuff that you see in a lot of blogs.