Was this a silly rescue person, or is there a reason?

Old December 29th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Was this a silly rescue person, or is there a reason?

(This is a "just curious" question, but I sure am puzzled about it.)

A sweet little old widow lady at church lost her poochie a month or so
ago and is so lonely she is already starting to look for another dog.
She is mostly homebound and hardly ever goes out anywhere because of
vision problems.

My friend who does rescue fostering (and from whom I got Mimi) and I are
hunting for her another dog. I'm doing the research (my strong point)
and she's doing the leg work (because she's retired and has more time
and because she does rescue fostering).

This one dog sounded like a good fit, and she contacted the person who
replied to her "small adult female lap dog wanted for senior citizen who
recently lost doggie to cancer and has a very empty space in her heart
that she wants to fill with a dog to cuddle with during the day and
sleep with at night" (that's basically what it said, anyway) ad. Her
last doggie was a little Pomeranian who was content to spend almost all
day being cuddled and petted and spoiled and basically let out only to
go potty or to the vet.

She got a reply that they could come meet the dog at the local
Starbucks, because she never lets people see her fosters at home because
the dogs act differently at home and she insists that the potential
adopters to see how the dog acts in public interacting with the public
and other dogs in public.

Well, in the first place, my senior citizen friend doesn't go out much,
and in the second place, she isn't going to see how well the dog will
cuddle in a quiet environment in such a noisy public place.

So did we not communicate adequately what we were looking for in a dog,
was the rescue person just applying some type of one-size-fits-all
methodology, or is there a reason why a basically-homebound senior needs
to evaluate a dog in a public place instead of a home environment when
she is probably never going to take the dog to a public place even
semiregularly?

I mean, I can understand why some rescuers might want to adopt out
senior dogs to senior citizens, which is not what Liz wants because she
doesn't want to go through another long course of medical stuff like she
just went through (she is looking for a 5-7-year-old dog), but I can't
understand why someone who stays home 98% of the time needs to evaluate
a dog in a situation that she will most likely never be in instead of
being able to evaluate the doggie in the situation that she *will* most
likely be in. Maybe I'm just missing something here...

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old December 29th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply spoke
these words of wisdom in :

[...]

It sounds like a person with a phobia about going into a strangers home and
perhaps being ambushed/raped/abducted in someway. screwballs everywhere
Old December 29th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
[...]

===
To me it sounds like she did not want anyone to go to her house for one
reason or another and that it had nothing to do with the dog.
Maybe she felt meeting strangers on neutral territory was a lot safer; maybe
she has too many dogs running around her house, or maybe her house is just a
dump.
I am going to assume it was for safety reasons.

Old December 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:34:14 -0800, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

[...]
She got a reply that they could come meet the dog at the local
Starbucks, because she never lets people see her fosters at home because
the dogs act differently at home and she insists that the potential
adopters to see how the dog acts in public interacting with the public
and other dogs in public.

I think that rings a few alarm bells, Melinda.

Unless this dog is coming through a legitimate rescue organization,
I'd want to see where the dog is currently being kept, etc.

It's not entirely impossible that you've come across a dognapper.

[...]
So did we not communicate adequately what we were looking for in a dog,
was the rescue person just applying some type of one-size-fits-all
methodology, or is there a reason why a basically-homebound senior needs
to evaluate a dog in a public place instead of a home environment when
she is probably never going to take the dog to a public place even
semiregularly?

There's no valid reason that I can think of for her insistance on this
routine.

Watch your step.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old December 29th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_2_]

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:34:14 -0800, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

[...]

[...]
So did we not communicate adequately what we were looking for in a dog,
was the rescue person just applying some type of one-size-fits-all
methodology, or is there a reason why a basically-homebound senior needs
to evaluate a dog in a public place instead of a home environment when
she is probably never going to take the dog to a public place even
semiregularly?

There's no valid reason that I can think of for her insistance on this
routine.

Watch your step.

I could be way off base, but could it be for safety reasons that the person
wanted to meet in a public place?

td

Old December 29th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"tiny dancer" wrote:

I could be way off base, but could it be for safety reasons that the person
wanted to meet in a public place?

If you're actually in the business of placing rescue dogs, you make
contact beforehand, and visit the home with the prospective dog, to see
how it does in that home and how suitable that home is. If you don't
feel safe doing that, you shouldn't be placing a dog there.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 29th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
I could be way off base, but could it be for safety reasons that the person
wanted to meet in a public place?

See? TRUE CRIME everywhere you look!

Old December 29th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"tiny dancer" wrote in
:

I could be way off base, but could it be for safety reasons that
the person wanted to meet in a public place?

Wouldn't it be easier to just say so, if that's the case?

--
Shelly
Old December 29th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 13:06:20 -0500, "tiny dancer"
wrote:

[...]
So did we not communicate adequately what we were looking for in a dog,
was the rescue person just applying some type of one-size-fits-all
methodology, or is there a reason why a basically-homebound senior needs
to evaluate a dog in a public place instead of a home environment when
she is probably never going to take the dog to a public place even
semiregularly?

There's no valid reason that I can think of for her insistance on this
routine.

Watch your step.

I could be way off base, but could it be for safety reasons that the person
wanted to meet in a public place?

Anything's possible, TD.

Including the possibility that she's a dognapper.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison