some pics

Old January 1st 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default some pics

Sionnach said.....
By an odd coincidence, this picture was just re-run in the paper
today........
_________________________
Sionnach,
That picture of a 3rd Pit bull, attacking a dog being walked by his
owner, sent a chill up my spine, and I hope I am never in that position
with any of mine. Unlike the man in the photo, who was walking two a a
time. I usually only walk one at a time. I am not that sure footed
these days anyways, my dogs always walk well on a leash, but if they
were confronted by another dog. I just don't know what I would do.

Be Free.....Judy

Old January 2nd 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

Janet Boss wrote in news:janet-
:

Especially for those that walk multiple dogs - is that a help or
destined to doom?

Well, if we were attacked, it would be doom. When we've seen loose dogs,
we turn and walk the other way. This works well when the dog is
protecting his/her property. Loose dogs off their property? It could be
awful. Where I live, we have a pretty well-respected leash law, backed up
by fines (which are really levied and tracked by the homeowner's
association). So there aren't as many incidents. I think if it happened,
I'd try to get inside the nearest fence (which could introduce an
entirely new problem). It would be much worse handling three dogs than
one dog in this scenario, but Zoe was one time attacked quite viciously
by a Great Pyrenees (not while we were on a walk) and there was nothing I
could do about that -- luckily the owner called the dog off. I always
felt terrible about that, the fact that I couldn't protect Z from
everything. Although now when we see strange dogs or other people, I do
have her come to my side and "protect" me. I think the GP would have been
less likely to attack in that scenario (but who knows).

If I were walking Max on his own, I would just pick him up if a dog was
charging us. But with the other two, I can't do that.

Maybe carrying some kind of spray would be a good idea.

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes

My dog pics Jennifer Dog behavior 16 January 22nd 05 04:23 AM
dog pics Michelle Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 12:47 AM
dog pics Michelle Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 12:47 AM
dog pics Michelle Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 12:47 AM