therapy dogs and children

Old January 29th 04, 06:21 PM
Kyler Laird

Default therapy dogs and children

I recently started a collection of some of my favorite "dogs with
children" photos. Today we were visiting an elementary school and
I decided these pictures might be a good way to give others a taste
for what we do.

http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/dogs_children

Some of the pictures are of the dogs encountering neighbors, family
and newly-found friends on our travels, but most are of therapy
situations. We're often asked what therapy dogs do (thanks to
their big TDI "I AM A THERAPY DOG" tags) but even people who know
about therapy dogs usually only know about their work with the
elderly. Perhaps this will inspire someone to get more dogs and
children working together.

(The place where we were participating in physical therapy has
stopped offering therapy and our best dog for that died so I'm
missing the rigorous work but I still love our social visits.)

--kyler
Old January 30th 04, 04:40 AM
Jo Wolf

Sure hope you got written permission from parents before taking those
photos and certainly before posting them on a web
site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully you'll find another place that also wants therapeutic
activities.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 30th 04, 10:05 PM
Pat

Must say I thought the same thing about the children in photo's.
My dog is a P.A.T dog and we visit a local children's hospice.
Photo's are not allowed to be taken there.,,unless with parents permission.
Even then we are not allowed to talk about what we see etc.
So I guess this would be breaking the rules...well here where I live.
Pat

Old January 31st 04, 06:37 AM
Jo Wolf

Pat. we now have such strict privacy laws in the health care field that
in the hospitals we visit, patient names are no longer posted outside
the doors to their rooms... or even over their beds.

In this case, if there isn't written consent for each child's photo, AND
for posting in a public forum, the parents can sue the photographer and
the person who used the photos without verifying consent..... And adult
residents and patients must also give written consent for their pictures
to be taken and used.

We recently had to counsel a member for sneaking a camera into a
hospital and taking photos all over the place... and a couple of other
odds and ends of sins, like visiting parts of a hospital where the
program is not active and for visiting a facility outside our normal
visit time, and without a facility staff member as guide. One more slip
of ethics rules and she's gone... and that would be a shame, because her
dog is extremely good, and very popular.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 31st 04, 10:44 PM
Pat

It is a very sad world we live in now.
Thirty even twenty years ago there was none of this.
It is just sad things have gone the way they have.
Cannot even take photo's of your own children in a nativity play any more.
I think that is really sad.
However that is the way the world is now going.
Strict laws here to now.
I was in a school a few weeks back...and if a child is upset or unwell .
They are not allowed to put their arms round them.
They do of course but they take risks.
Without some personal things what do we have left.
Although I understand 100% it is sad.
I think it is bad when anyone puts anyone photos here without consent.
Pat.