Loose dogs, having fun

Old January 4th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_2_]

Default Loose dogs, having fun

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 3:02 pm, "tiny dancer" wrote:
wrote in message

... On
Jan 4, 2:09 pm, Shelly wrote:
wrote:

snipped

I'm opposed to local ordinances restricting the right to play violent

video games, etc...

Nick

Well that last one there, I do tend to have a problem with that one.
Especially when it comes to kids.

td

It is the parents' responsibility to ensure their children are not
playing video games they feel are not appropriate.

That's true, but by the teenage years, often times parents have little
control over what their kids purchase or what they do when they aren't at
home. When they are playing games at various other locations, but they game
establishments or the homes of others.

I am especially troubled by the link between those games that are both
violent and link sex with the violence. As it has been shown that
especially during puberty, a strong link between sex and violence can create
a permanent bonding of the two, hardwired into the brains of these young
boys.

It is a violation
of the rights of the video game producer to create laws which will
prevent their chosen form of expression. There are plenty of stable
individuals such as myself who are perfectly capable of playing
violent video games without adverse effects, and enjoy doing so.

I'm sure there are some individuals who can.

Furthermore, those who will theoretically suffer adverse effects from
playing the violent video games would receive the same negative
stimulus from countless other mediums.

Psychologists think otherwise because of the interactive nature of violent
video games as opposed to simply reading or viewing violence.

There is also far more
evidence showing that there is no causal relationship between playing
violent video games and committing violent acts.

Nick

There is lots of anecdotal information, especially in the law enforcement
community linking violent video games with mimicking violent crimes
committed. Some simply regular violent crimes, but more and more often,
linking violent sex crimes with violence seen in some of those video games.

VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES CAN INCREASE AGGRESSION
May Be More Harmful Than Violent Television and Movies Because of the
Interactive Nature of the Games

WASHINGTON - Playing violent video games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D or Mortal
Kombat can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings and behavior
both in laboratory settings and in actual life, according to two studies
appearing in the April issue of the American Psychological Association's
(APA) Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. Furthermore, violent
video games may be more harmful than violent television and movies

****because they are interactive, very engrossing and require the player to
identify with the aggressor, say the researchers.***

http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html

In a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study, 13 male research
participants were observed playing a latest-generation violent video game.
Each participant's game play was recorded and content analyzed on a
frame-by-frame basis.

"There is a causal link between playing the first-person shooting game in
our experiment and brain-activity pattern that are considered as
characteristic for aggressive cognitions and affects," said René Weber,
assistant professor of communication and telecommunication at MSU and a
researcher on the project. "There is a neurological link and there is a
short-term causal relationship.

"Violent video games frequently have been criticized for enhancing
aggressive reactions such as aggressive cognitions, aggressive affects or
aggressive behavior. On a neurobiological level we have shown the link
exists."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1012082710.htm

IMO, much like there are pedophiles who can view kiddie porn without
carrying it any further, more often those same individuals become
desensitized to simply *viewing* and develop a need to act on their
impulses. Especially with the advent once again of opportunity of
'interacting' rather than simply viewing still pictures.

td

Old January 5th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"tiny dancer" wrote:

I am especially troubled by the link between those games that are both
violent and link sex with the violence.

You've gotta wonder what kind of sickos come up with "games" that
involve rape/molestation/abuse.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 5th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
You've gotta wonder what kind of sickos come up with "games" that
involve rape/molestation/abuse.

Last year I was on a cross-country flight where I was seated
next to a guy who had a portable game system. During the
flight it was pretty hard not to notice that he was frobbing
away on one button, so I looked over and saw that every time
he hit the button one character hit another character in the
face. Yuck. I mean *yuck* - that was disgusting. But
that's a question of taste, and as I said the research on
the link between videogames and violence has been equivocal.
There's research that demonstrates there is one and research
that demonstrates there's not.

Old January 5th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_2_]

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"tiny dancer" wrote:

I am especially troubled by the link between those games that are both
violent and link sex with the violence.

You've gotta wonder what kind of sickos come up with "games" that
involve rape/molestation/abuse.

--
Janet Boss

So true. But then when you find there are actually parents out there who
rape their children online and *live* for pre- paid performances, there
really isn't a lot that shocks me anymore when it comes to crap like that.

td

Old January 5th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jan 4, 6:07 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:

You've gotta wonder what kind of sickos come up with "games" that
involve rape/molestation/abuse.

Last year I was on a cross-country flight where I was seated
next to a guy who had a portable game system. During the
flight it was pretty hard not to notice that he was frobbing
away on one button, so I looked over and saw that every time
he hit the button one character hit another character in the
face. Yuck. I mean *yuck* - that was disgusting. But
that's a question of taste, and as I said the research on
the link between videogames and violence has been equivocal.
There's research that demonstrates there is one and research
that demonstrates there's not.

And I actually enjoy the occasional violent game. I have played every
single game in the Grand Theft Auto series all the way back to the
original that was released in 1997. I look forward to the future
release of GTA IV in March. But, I am in no way a violent person. I
had minor violent tendencies through puberty, but nothing a little
maturing didn't take care of. My parent's also didn't let me have
access to violent material until I was mature. Interests in video
games vary, and it is not my favorite type, but I still want to have
the option to play it when I get the itch to cause a little anarchy in
a simulated world.

Nick
Old January 5th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Whether or not there is an unequivocal link between video games and
real life violence, however, I think it takes a special kind of warped
to derive entertainment from games involving rape/molestation/abuse,
let alone to invent them.

Sure, I think so, too. I was just kind of appalled by the
way that guy was having one character just beat the crap out
of another character like that.