has anyone had a dog with giardia?

Old January 8th 08, 02:29 AM
pat1950 pat1950 is offline
Junior Member

Default has anyone had a dog with giardia?

My basset hound had been treated for giardia twice before I got him in August. He weighed 28 lbs and was nothing but bones. I had him treated again but he has never had a normal stool. i have tried a number of high quality dog foods but he continues with diarrhea or mud pie stools. I had him tested again today and he is positive again for giardia. Does it usually take this long to get rid of the giardia?
Old January 8th 08, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"pat1950" wrote in message
news
My basset hound had been treated for giardia twice before I got him in
August. He weighed 28 lbs and was nothing but bones. I had him treated
again but he has never had a normal stool. i have tried a number of
high quality dog foods but he continues with diarrhea or mud pie
stools. I had him tested again today and he is positive again for
giardia. Does it usually take this long to get rid of the giardia?

.........He's probably getting reinfected. Panacur works best for Giardia.
I'd also load this dog up with probiotics and maybe some L-glutamine to help
heal the gut. Because the dog was so run down he was more susceptible to
infection and reinfection.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/giardia.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 8th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

pat1950 said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

My basset hound had been treated for giardia twice before I
got him in August. He weighed 28 lbs and was nothing but
bones. I had him treated again but he has never had a
normal stool. i have tried a number of high quality dog
foods but he continues with diarrhea or mud pie stools. I
had him tested again today and he is positive again for
giardia. Does it usually take this long to get rid of the
giardia?

One of my dogs had giardia years ago, and it was a stubborn case
that was probably related to reinfection. As buglady said,
Panacur (Fenbendazole) is the better anti-parasite - the other
is Flagyl (Metronidazole) which is not as specific.

It finally took two contiguous treatments of Panacur to fix my
dog.

Giardia and pancreatitis Judy Dog health 31 June 1st 07 10:12 PM
Giardia and Pancreatitis Judy Dog behavior 3 May 31st 07 03:53 AM
Mild Giardia? Derfram Dog health 8 November 28th 03 05:48 AM
Mild Giardia? Derfram Dog health 0 November 27th 03 05:01 AM