Dry kibble/water soaked

Old January 11th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Dry kibble/water soaked

Hi y'all,
Thanks again to everyone for all of the great ideas on how to slow
Buck down when he is eating.
I am pleased to report, it worked. This afternoon, I began adding
water to his dry food a little at a time, giving it plenty of time to
soak in. I just fed it to him. The bowl felt like it weighed 10
pounds. He probably thought he was getting some extra.
He did not make a sound while eating his food. No gasping and choking
like he did when he ate dry kibble.
His teeth are in great shape, so I have no problem with using this
method to feed him from here on. He gets chewy bones that should help
prevent tartar.
I really appreciate all of the good ideas. Thanks to everyone.

Be Free.....Judy

Old January 11th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
Hi y'all,
Thanks again to everyone for all of the great ideas on how to slow
Buck down when he is eating.
I am pleased to report, it worked. This afternoon, I began adding
water to his dry food a little at a time, giving it plenty of time to
soak in. I just fed it to him. The bowl felt like it weighed 10
pounds. He probably thought he was getting some extra.
He did not make a sound while eating his food. No gasping and choking
like he did when he ate dry kibble.
His teeth are in great shape, so I have no problem with using this
method to feed him from here on. He gets chewy bones that should help
prevent tartar.
I really appreciate all of the good ideas. Thanks to everyone.

Be Free.....Judy

He was making gasping and choking sounds when he ate? No wonder you were
concerned! I'm glad you've found a solution.
Karla

Old January 11th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Karla said in part....
He was making gasping and choking sounds when he ate?
_________________________
Karla,
I guess gasping is a little dramatic. He is my Lab, and he wolfs down
his food. He has always done it, but he is 15 now, and I am always
afraid that he is going to choke. He literally swallows his food whole.
Mustang Sally originally mentioned putting water in her dog's food for
the same problem (gulping down his food) Several people had other good
ideas, putting a rock in his bowl, spreading dry kibble on a cookie
sheet, even buying a special bowl with nubs in it, to slow his
pigginess. I got a lot of good information out of that thread. I don't
know which one it was in, probably the Muttley and his bone one? You
can teach an old dog new tricks (me).

Be Free.....Judy

Freezing Kibble Rocky[_2_] Dog health 36 October 23rd 07 07:50 PM
Soaked dry food query. Alison Dog behavior 14 January 3rd 05 07:30 PM
kibble searching Rosa Palmén Dog health 2 December 16th 03 11:14 AM
kibble searching Rosa Palmén Dog health 0 December 15th 03 11:56 PM
Mixed raw and kibble Rocky Dog health 0 December 3rd 03 05:53 AM