OT Question

Old January 16th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

Default OT Question

I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I use
Outlook Express. On the desk top, the *spelling* feature is in the
drop-down, tools, options, spelling, right along with *compost*, *send*,
*read*, etc. All those *other* options are in that place on the new lap
top, but the *spelling* one isn't there. Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

thank you,

td

Old January 16th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

tiny dancer wrote:
I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I use
Outlook Express. On the desk top, the *spelling* feature is in the
drop-down, tools, options, spelling, right along with *compost*, *send*,
*read*, etc. All those *other* options are in that place on the new lap
top, but the *spelling* one isn't there. Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

OOh! Micros**t has gone green! Is *compost* the
ecologically-friendly replacement for *trash*? G

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old January 16th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

Is there some reason that you think that an operating system
should be checking your spelling?

Spell checking is provided by applications.

Old January 16th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"FurPaw" wrote in message
. ..
tiny dancer wrote:
I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I
use Outlook Express. On the desk top, the *spelling* feature is in the
drop-down, tools, options, spelling, right along with *compost*, *send*,
*read*, etc. All those *other* options are in that place on the new lap
top, but the *spelling* one isn't there. Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

OOh! Micros**t has gone green! Is *compost* the ecologically-friendly
replacement for *trash*? G

FurPaw

LOL, no, a simple mistake on my part. Should have been *compose*. I plead
a miserable cold, sore throat, completely stopped up head, yadda yadda
yadda. I'm sure you know the routine. I feel like **** warmed over.
Actually, when you get right down to it, I feel like *compost* right
now! ;

td

Old January 16th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

tiny dancer wrote:
I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I use
Outlook Express. On the desk top, the *spelling* feature is in the
drop-down, tools, options, spelling, right along with *compost*, *send*,
*read*, etc. All those *other* options are in that place on the new lap
top, but the *spelling* one isn't there. Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

I haven't a clue what you're talking about. Last I checked, XP did
not have a spell checker hanging out on the desktop. For that
matter, I've never seen a desktop configuration in which there is a
drop down tools menu.

If you mean that you are trying to run spell check from within OE,
then there ought to be a big, fat "Spelling" button at the top of
every outgoing message. Barring that (as toolbars are fairly
configurable), try F7.

And, for the love of all that's good in this world, take a nice,
long asterisk sabbatical. Please?!

--
Shelly
Old January 16th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Shelly wrote:
Barring that (as toolbars are fairly configurable),
try F7.

Also, you can configure OE so that it automagically spell checks
outgoing messages.

--
Shelly
Old January 16th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

tiny dancer wrote:
I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I use
Outlook Express.

Okay,

Tools -- Options -- Spelling tab

Check the box next to "Always check spelling before sending," and
you should be in business. F7 will also work, if you'd prefer to
check each message manually. (Also, that shortcut is pretty
standard across a whole lot of Windows-based programs. Just FYI.)

--
Shelly
Old January 16th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
(Also, that shortcut is pretty
standard across a whole lot of Windows-based programs. Just FYI.)

KIND OF LIKE, OH, I DUNNO - F1 AND "HELP"?

Old January 16th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:

KIND OF LIKE, OH, I DUNNO - F1 AND "HELP"?

Ya' think?! Seriously, the mind wobbles. On the other hand, I,
too, am coming down with some sort of respiratory plague, and it's
A) making my brane not work so well and B) making me more
sympathetic. Also, I've spent the last couple of months helping a
whole bunch of Tinys navigate the mind-boggling wonderment of things
like Flickr, Blogger, etc. My patience for computer stupidity well
exercised. Or maybe I've just lost the will to live. Some days,
it's hard to tell.

--
Shelly
Old January 16th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"tiny dancer" wrote

I got a new lap top for Christmas, but I can't figure out where the
spell-checker is on it. It's Windows XP, just like my desk top, and I use
Outlook Express. On the desk top, the *spelling* feature is in the
drop-down, tools, options, spelling, right along with *compost*, *send*,
*read*, etc. All those *other* options are in that place on the new lap
top, but the *spelling* one isn't there. Does anyone know where I might
find the spell-checker on this computer?

You only have proof-reading tools in OE if you have one or more Microsoft
Office programs installed. Windows and OE by themselves don't come with
spell-checkers.

If you have office installed on your desktop computer, you should be able to
install it on the laptop as well. I believe the license allows that.

Another possibility of course is to install a third-party proof-reader for
OE.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com