Crate question

Old January 16th 08, 06:31 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

Default Crate question

Dear experienced dog folk,

I am interested in purchasing this crate for one of my dogs. Has anyone had
any experience with it? Or something similar? At $250 it's a little pricey
to turn into just another horizontal surface. He's destroyed the standard
issue crate so I need to switch to the heavy artillery. I'm talking to my
vet tomorrow about doggie downers as well, though I'm not a big fan of the
idea. Perhaps some insight on those who have used them? Thank you!

He's a very good dog. Born and raised right here on the farm. I work at
home as a Licensed Realtor, but when I leave, he needs to be put up because
he will get anxious, mark and destroy things if I am gone too long.

He is neutered. Walked with my other three 2 miles each morning. Lives like
a prince. Sleeps in his crate upstairs in our bedroom all night, no
problem.

TIA.

Kelly Kirsch
www.kellykirsch.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&refid=sto re

Old January 16th 08, 11:01 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
\(the\)duckster

"Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
"
Human_And_Animal_Behavior_Forensic_Sciences_Resea
wrote in message

writes snipped

Safe then to say you haven't used the product?

Incidentally, your link has expired.

(the)duckster

Old January 17th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"\(the\)duckster" spoke these words of wisdom in

[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6122&refid=sto
re

It sounds like a major issue with separation anxiety.

google "separation anxiety" + dog and see if something fits in your
lifestyle. In the meantime, I'd get him a very sturdy outdoor kennel. Not a
flimsy one, then work on the sep-anx issues before trying an in the house
crate again
Old January 17th 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, I would agree. The odd thing is that my four are seldom left home
alone. In nice weather, they bask outside on several acres of land, though
lately they've been enjoying a steam bath lying on the pool cover.

Even stranger, he sleeps gladly and peacefully in the crate upstairs in our
room. Runs up every night to get his peanut butter bone.

But leaving him in the downstairs one was a different story. And I only do
it when I can't put them outside - as in bad or cold weather.

But I will google your suggestion and see if there isn't something else that
can be done. I don't have a problem with a crate. I just wanted to buy
something he couldn't destoy, possibly impaling himself.

Thank you for writing.

(the)duckster

Old January 17th 08, 03:19 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"\(the\)duckster" spoke these words of wisdom in

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Those who are seldom home alone usually have the most dependency on your
presence ... hence the separation anxiety.

I'm home most of the time and constantly battle Sep-Anx with my dogs. Seems
boys are worse than girls.

My boy has finally worked through his separation anxiety, but just in case,
i crate him when gone.

Old January 17th 08, 07:06 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[snip]

Those who are seldom home alone usually have the most dependency on your
presence ... hence the separation anxiety.

I'm home most of the time and constantly battle Sep-Anx with my dogs.
Seems
boys are worse than girls.

My boy has finally worked through his separation anxiety, but just in
case,
i crate him when gone.

I'm surprised that (I'm assuming) Tuck has Sep-Anx issues, but I think all
dogs are unique individuals, and many factors combine to define their
behavior. Muttley has always been a low-key, independent, and aloof dog,
and he was apparently doing pretty well fending for himself on the streets
before he was rescued. He certainly had his issues, especially in the first
six months when I mostly kept him tethered outside, and had to watch him
closely when I allowed him some freedom indoors. But he seemed to
communicate to me very strongly that he wanted to be inside, and not forced
outside, and I was able to allow him free run of the house, first for a
couple of hours, and then eventually for 12-14 hours.

There were times when I would be at home continually for several days at a
time, so I guess he got used to a variable schedule. He never seemed
"needy", as some dogs are, so I may have been fortunate that he came
pre-wired with a good disposition for being left alone. He enjoys being
with me most of the time, but also enjoys chewing his bones by the
woodstove downstairs, or basking in the sun on the deck. He also usually
likes to sleep in bed with me, mostly curled up at my feet (or on them),
but sometimes he likes to lay with his head on the pillow next to me.

Lucky was more of a "needy" dog, in terms of wanting to be with people.
That's why it was especially sad when she was made to stay tethered by the
Gazebo while she was at Eagles Nest. It was nice to see her freely roaming
the property unleashed, and interacting well with lots of people and the
many cats, but it was also scary and dangerous when she ran across the busy
road. When I finally took her in, I had to keep her crated much of the
time, because of Muttley's jealousy and rough play that looked as if it
might escalate into a real fight. When I had to go away for 8-12 hours, I
always crated her and allowed Muttley to roam the house. I only left them
together in the house once, for a couple of hours, and it was OK, but I
feared that I might come home to a canine crime scene. She would often bark
and howl when she was in the crate too long, and I felt sorry for having to
make her live that way. She really was a "people" dog, and she really
seemed to become totally relaxed with me on the last night I had her, as
she lay next to me all night in bed, while Muttley was locked out of the
room. It is a bittersweet memory, but I am sure she has a much better home
now.

It's time for me to ask Muttley to get off the bed so I can get
comfortable, after which he will rejoin me for a good night's sleep. It's
going to be a cold night, but not quite a "3 Dog Night".

Paul and Muttley

Old January 18th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sallytighe

Paul E. Schoen schrieb:

[snip]
When I had to go away for 8-12 hours, I always [snip]

This bit took my breath away, and then I started to wonder if there is a
cultural difference operating here.

Is it generally acceptable where you live to leave dogs alone inside for
this length of time?

Sally

Old January 18th 08, 04:12 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

sallytighe said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Paul E. Schoen schrieb:
When I had to go away for 8-12 hours, I always [snip]

This bit took my breath away, and then I started to wonder
if there is a cultural difference operating here.

Is it generally acceptable where you live to leave dogs
alone inside for this length of time?

Do you beat your dog?

I'm not going to defend Paul because I don't know his situation.
But I used to leave my dogs alone inside for 9 hours on a
regular basis.

Old January 18th 08, 04:35 AM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Rocky spoke these words of wisdom in
:

sallytighe said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Paul E. Schoen schrieb:
When I had to go away for 8-12 hours, I always [snip]

This bit took my breath away, and then I started to wonder
if there is a cultural difference operating here.

Is it generally acceptable where you live to leave dogs
alone inside for this length of time?

Do you beat your dog?

I'm not going to defend Paul because I don't know his situation.
But I used to leave my dogs alone inside for 9 hours on a
regular basis.

When i worked, I used to leave my dog in the house for up to 16 hours, and
there was never an issue.

In fact one day, I let her out, it was pouring rain, and when I let her in,
I told her to stay in her dog box to dry. I left for work, and forgot to
release her. I worked a shift and a half..with an hour drive each way. So
that was 14 hours. When i got home, i petted her as i came in the door. She
was still in her box. Only when she didn't get out of the box, and whined
and whimpered, did I remember that she had never gotten a release word.

I still feel bad about that to this day. Longest down stay any of my dogs
ever held.

Thankfully now, My dogs don't have to stay put longer than 4 hours. They
either go with me, Or I leave them with a sitter.
Old January 18th 08, 12:56 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Rocky wrote:

I'm not going to defend Paul because I don't know his situation.
But I used to leave my dogs alone inside for 9 hours on a
regular basis.

As most working people have to do.

I'd never do that with a puppy, or Rudy (his bladder can't take that on
a regular basis, which is one reason he stayed here), but most adult
dogs? Lucy doesn't even want to go out and pee after 9 hours.

Of course, most dogs are also inside (albeit not alone) for at least 8
hours overnight. Even 15 week old Marcie does that just fine.

--
Janet Boss