Ping Sionnnach and others that have read James Dobson

Old January 17th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Ping Sionnnach and others that have read James Dobson

Sorry to post via google but I'm at work.

A long time ago, Sarah posted a link to a page from one of James
Dobson's books that showed how he recommend using the switch for
bedwetters. Can anyone that is better with Googling than myself find
that link?

Thanks.

Beth
Old January 17th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

" wrote in message
Sorry to post via google but I'm at work.

A long time ago, Sarah posted a link to a page from one of James
Dobson's books that showed how he recommend using the switch for
bedwetters. Can anyone that is better with Googling than myself find
that link?

Thanks.

Beth

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/9/21/184017/640

Frighteningly, the theme of "tyrant babies" and the need for children to be
broken is a recurrent theme in these books--and a recurrent theme in
dominionism in general. (The Pearls--whose abusive tactics have been linked
to the death of a child when a mother followed them to the letter--are
especially fond of confusing all infants with little Stewie from "The Family
Guy" in thinking all infants are little Napoleons.)
Of course, the recommended tactic is to whack the kid, starting at around
fifteen months of age (incidentially, the age at which children start
recognising themselves as separate beings from their parents) on page 136.
Dobson even recommends making kids cut their own "chastening rods" to be
used on them, a common tactic among dominionist "child training" manuals to
make kids an active participant in their tortu

My mother always used a small switch, which could not do any permanent
damage. But it stung enough to send a very clear message. One day when I
had pushed her to the limit, she actually sent me to the backyard to cut my
own instrument of punishment. I brought back a tiny little twig about seven
inches long. She could not have generated anything more than a tickle with
it. Mom never sent me on that fool's errand again.

(Some of the "chastening devices" sold by groups promoting religiously
motivated child abuse are around 12 inches, and a switch can cause injury
even if it is small. This is completely aside from the whole aspect of
making the kids pick their own switches; I remember I would be beat rather
severely for attempts to bring in logs or very thin switches in an attempt
to avoid a "switching"--once for having misbehaved (which could be as simple
as not responding right away), and once for trying to be "defiant" in
getting out of the original beating.)
Of course, Dobson's typical argument is "if it was good enough for the Good
Old Days, it's good

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/9/21/184017/640

Old January 17th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Switch? He recommends a bedwetting alarm, but not a switch in the sense
of a hickory switch.

What? In "The New Dare to Discipline" he does recommend
hitting your kid if bedwetting is "an act of defiance." He
wrote that if your kid cries after being spanked, spank them
more. He also wrote about beating his dachshund to show it
who's boss.

Dobson is a major-league creep.

Old January 17th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

" wrote in news:a6a8a763-
:

A long time ago, Sarah posted a link to a page from one of James
Dobson's books that showed how he recommend using the switch for
bedwetters. Can anyone that is better with Googling than myself
find that link?

I don't know about corporal punishment for bedwetting (a quick Google
says "no"), but if you want to make yourself ill, check out
http://www.family.org/parenting/.

The parenting section is full of references to breaking children's
wills, which is just plain creepy. The spanking stuff appears to
have been toned down, though. His website says:

"Spanking typically works best with ages 2 to 6. It should be used
only for specific, purposeful misbehavior and should never be done in
anger. As with other techniques, spanking should be used as one of
many discipline tools."

That in itself doesn't strike me as outrage-worthy. Some of the
other stuff he spews, though? Aieee! He's got some funny ideas
about eating disorders. Apparently, it comes from a lack of love and
approval, and eating too much/not eating/binging and purging numbs
the pain. Alsotoo, for a laugh and/or a cry, check out his BS on
"God's Design for Marriage."

And that's about all the trolling through Xtremefundiland that I have
the stomach for.

--
Shelly
Old January 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Does he happen to share any wisdom with respect to determining when
bedwetting is an "act of defiance"?

I gather it's somewhat along the same lines of people
determining that their dog is being "dominant."

I wonder if his kids wet their beds.

He seems to have a lot of experience with it.

Old January 18th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:

What? In "The New Dare to Discipline" he does recommend
hitting your kid if bedwetting is "an act of defiance." He
wrote that if your kid cries after being spanked, spank them
more. He also wrote about beating his dachshund to show it
who's boss.

Well, I never read the "New Dare to Discipline" book, but in the
original when he talked about his dachshund, he did not say he *beat*
the dog.

Dobson is a major-league creep.

Well, I would more likely class him as someone who wants to develop a
cadre of followers, but I don't think he's necessarily a creep.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 18th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:
I wonder if his kids wet their beds.

He seems to have a lot of experience with it.

He used to be a full-time pediatrician.

READ diddy[_2_] Dog behavior 33 December 20th 07 11:58 PM
Did you read about that? happy Dog behavior 0 May 6th 07 06:51 PM
Fur Paw Please Read Spot Dog behavior 3 June 19th 05 03:21 AM
Has anyone read . . LeeCharlesKelley Dog behavior 2399 September 12th 04 07:17 PM
FS: James Herriot "Every Living Thing" 1st Edition Hardcover Book J.R. Sinclair Dogs - general 0 December 10th 03 05:04 AM