too little for WWF?

Old January 18th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

Default too little for WWF?

Rudy and Lucy enjoy a rousing session of WWF in my living room. Well,
they have, until Marcie's arrival. Now, she's kind of in the way. Not
only am I not 100% comfortable with 3 dogs in the mix (and Lucy clearly
is not), but I'm afraid that the 2 larger dogs will injure her
unintentionally. Am I being overprotective or just sane?

--
Janet Boss
Old January 18th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Am I being overprotective or just sane?

I don't think so. I tend to worry about escalation, too,
but I've got a breed notably deficient in self-control.
Anyway, I've had dogs injured while playing (mine run
flat-out, body slam each other, wrestle, and jump over each
other) and would have real reservations about a youngster
playing with more than one adult.

Old January 18th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Lucy seems to know it isn't a good idea and stops her wrestle
with Rudy if Marcie tries to join in.

Good Lucy! I think that one-on-one works okay because the
older dog will adjust his or her play style to the
youngster, but those group pile-ons can go awry pretty
easily.

Old January 18th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Jan 18, 4:30*pm, Janet Boss
wrote:
*Rudy and Lucy enjoy a rousing session of WWF in my living room. *Well,
they have, until Marcie's arrival. *Now, she's kind of in the way. *Not
only am I not 100% comfortable with 3 dogs in the mix (and Lucy clearly
is not), but I'm afraid that the 2 larger dogs will injure her
unintentionally. *Am I being overprotective or just sane?

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I don't think so, not at Marcie's tender age. Our Teddymonster is now
6 months and 16 pounds, and his favorite toys are Gene and Stan. The
Beaver Brothers often gang up on him and play Eat the Puppy, and I
keep a very close eye on them. Every once in a while, it looks as
though the Butthead Brothers are getting a bit carried away, and
invariably, just as I caution them to settle down, Teddy will do
something such as launch himself off a chair and land on Stan's head.
The other day he actually landed on Gene's back, apparently by
accident; Gene bucked him off, and Ted landed on his feet. But
Teddy's older and bigger, and apparently dumber.

One thing that's kind of funny is that when I do come into the room
(as opposed to watching from another room, when they're not aware),
Gene and/or Stan will stop playing and look sort of guilty. Maybe not
guilty, I don't want to anthropomorphize, but as though they expect to
be reprimanded. Either they're so used to getting yelled at that they
expect it (just kidding, although they are a handful and a half), or
dogs have a very strong instinct that they should not hurt puppies.

Mustang Sally
Old January 18th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Teddy will do
something such as launch himself off a chair and land on Stan's head.
The other day he actually landed on Gene's back, apparently by
accident; Gene bucked him off, and Ted landed on his feet.

I realize that you're not that much of a technology
aficionado, but if you're not going to do it then somebody
else has to step up, do the right thing, and videotape all
this.

Old January 18th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Janet Boss wrote:
Rudy and Lucy enjoy a rousing session of WWF in my living room. Well,
they have, until Marcie's arrival. Now, she's kind of in the way. Not
only am I not 100% comfortable with 3 dogs in the mix (and Lucy clearly
is not), but I'm afraid that the 2 larger dogs will injure her
unintentionally. Am I being overprotective or just sane?

Both, maybe. When Scully was 15 months old, 8 week old Zane came home.
Their play was wild and rowdy. One day I looked out into the back
yard and saw Scully sitting down and gnawing on something. It turned
out to be Zane's head. He was laying in a shallow depression that had
been scooped out and maintained by Connor, and Scully was sitting on top
of him, chewing on any parts that protruded.

Of course I chased her off and made sure that all his pieces were
intact. On spite of this I saw the same "puppy in the hole" scenario
reenacted several times, leading me to the conclusion that either this
was some sort of mutually agreeable game, or that Zane was a really slow
learner.

Old January 18th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Jan 18, 5:24*pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Teddy will do
something such as launch himself off a chair and land on Stan's head.
The other day he actually landed on Gene's back, apparently by
accident; Gene bucked him off, and Ted landed on his feet.

I realize that you're not that much of a technology
aficionado, but if you're not going to do it then somebody
else has to step up, do the right thing, and videotape all
this.

Yes, you're right; there was a discussion about that today. DH is
quite a geek, and we do have the technology, if you'll pardon the
expression. I'll get him right on that! Another very funny thing
that didn't get on film was when Teddy was playing tug-of-war with
Raisin, Renee's blind dachshund. Raisin, being a dachshund, Will Not
Let Go For Anything (even food, and he's a little piggy), and Teddy
has dragged him across the room a couple of times. Really, I've got
to stop wasting this puppyhood.

Mustang Sally
Old January 18th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:
Rudy and Lucy enjoy a rousing session of WWF in my living room. Well,
they have, until Marcie's arrival. Now, she's kind of in the way. Not
only am I not 100% comfortable with 3 dogs in the mix (and Lucy clearly
is not), but I'm afraid that the 2 larger dogs will injure her
unintentionally. Am I being overprotective or just sane?

Just curious, what's WWF?

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 18th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
"sighthounds & siberians" wrote:

But
Teddy's older and bigger, and apparently dumber.

older maybe. Marcie probably weighs in the neighborhood of 20-22# now.

--
Janet Boss