Practical Applications

Old January 22nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Practical Applications

I mentioned working on moving Harriet around by pointing and having
her go to the spot I pointed to? I really recommend it as both a
game and for its practical aspects.

Last week, Harriet learned to unwind her tie-out cable when it gets
wrapped around one of the supports for the upstairs deck. This, we
were able to accomplish without me taking my sick, barefoot self
outdoors in the 0F cold, because Harriet understands what it means
to go where I point. It took a few repetitions before she had it
down pat, but now she can unwrap herself without help.

And, boy, you should've seen her when the light bulb went off. She
was well pleased with her smartypants self.

--
Shelly
Old January 22nd 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

Shelly wrote in news:fn4qk9$jke$1
@registered.motzarella.org:

And, boy, you should've seen her when the light bulb went off. She
was well pleased with her smartypants self.

Isn't that great when it happens? Now you can count on her doing it time
after time! (I'm assuming that in addition to praise, you laughed -- the
best reinforement evah!)

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes
Old January 22nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

Isn't that great when it happens? Now you can count on her doing it time
after time! (I'm assuming that in addition to praise, you laughed -- the
best reinforement evah!)

Oh yes. We both laughed, and there was much jumping up and down.

--
Shelly
Old January 22nd 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

And, boy, you should've seen her when the light bulb went off. She
was well pleased with her smartypants self.

As well she should. It's a very handy skill to have.

Khan is naturally averse to getting tangled, and does his best to untangle
himself. One of the most practical commands he's been taught is to 'come
around' (whatever obstacle is between him and the person at the other end of
the leash). He got it with very little repetition. Pan took longer, and
even now, gets confused if there is more than one obstacle involved.

For all that, Khan on his tie-out routinely manages to get himself tangled
up. The tie goes around the sticky-uppy part of the septic tank (some kind
of genius put it right smack in front of the house, and there are two of
them), and he always manages to walk around it sufficiently as to find
himself on the end of a wrapped up, short tie after a while. And, it almost
always happens when it is either wet outside, or cold outside, or both.
And, I'm dumb enough to think that I can run out and untangle him in my
socks without getting too wet, and end up with soggy socks. Ick!

Suja

Old January 22nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

"Suja" wrote in
:

One of the most practical commands he's been taught is to 'come
around' (whatever obstacle is between him and the person at the other
end of the leash). He got it with very little repetition. Pan took
longer, and even now, gets confused if there is more than one obstacle
involved.

In our little world, this command is called "mailbox" -- because that was
the first thing Zoe had to consistently go around. So now if we get to a
post or a sign, I have to say "mailbox" and hope no one is around to
hear.

Old January 22nd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Suja wrote:

As well she should. It's a very handy skill to have.

Yes, indeed.

And, I'm dumb enough to think that I can run out and untangle him in my
socks without getting too wet, and end up with soggy socks. Ick!

O gross! See, that's the situation I was in, only it was 0F out and
my shoes weren't handy. Now, I've been known to run out on the
patio when it's that cold, but manually unwinding the dog would have
meant walking in the grass, too. Nothankyew!

--
Shelly
Old January 22nd 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"ceb" wrote in message:

In our little world, this command is called "mailbox" -- because that was
the first thing Zoe had to consistently go around. So now if we get to a
post or a sign, I have to say "mailbox" and hope no one is around to
hear.

I don't know why this triggered this particular memory. First time I met
Cody (looks like an anatolian mix) at the dog park, he did as dogs tend to
do, and stuck his nose where it doesn't belong. His owner said 'Cody,
private', and the dog beat a hasty retreat. I thought it was cute; would've
never thought of putting that one on that particular cue, myself.

Suja

Old January 22nd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

ceb said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So now if we get to a
post or a sign, I have to say "mailbox" and hope no one is
around to hear.

I like those type of commands. Inadvertent training means we've
been paying attention to our dogs.