Mission Impossible -special assignment

Old January 29th 08, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default Mission Impossible -special assignment

Tuck got an email last weekend from the Special Education teacher who heads
up the Children Reading to Dogs program.
Last week, a kindergarten student was brought over to the elementary,
because he won't talk. It's not that he CAN'T talk. He certainly does at
home. At home he's a cornucopia of chatter. Since he started coming to
school last fall, he's not said one word once inside the door. He has a
cousin in his class that he talks to all the time at home. At school, he
won't even speak to him.

Tuck is by far the school's most versatile and loved READ dog (there are 6
others working in the school) and they decided Tuck was the one that might
best open this child up. We are going to try several tactics. We know
this child LOVES dogs.
I'm to take Tuck's toys to school, and have Tuck do tricks. If we can get
this child to talk to Tuck, and respond to Tuck, they are hoping to bring
him out of his shell.

Tuck's assignment is to at first get this child to just utter sounds, such
as Achooo. or Brrrrrrrr.

If he goes achoo, of course, Tuck gets the kleenex box. And Brrrrrr.. Tuck
gets the blanket. If we can get him to even whisper to Tuck. Tuck can then
whisper in my ear, -hopefully my hearing is keen enough to pick up what he
whispered and respond appropriately
If we can get that, it will be wildly successful.
From there, we will try to get him to give Tuck commands.
If he learns to handle Tuck, I will sit in the classroom, while Tuck sits
at this kid's desk. Tuck will be assigned to this kid throughout the day,
taking him to the playground, and in the halls. Hoping that he starts
talking to the other children so he can tell them about Tuck.
Meaning, at least until this kid starts talking, I have forfeited my dog
from school start until noon (kindergarten is a half day)

Hopefully this interesting mission is successful. Will keep you posted.
Old January 29th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From there, we will try to get him to give Tuck commands.
If he learns to handle Tuck, I will sit in the classroom, while Tuck sits
at this kid's desk. Tuck will be assigned to this kid throughout the day,
taking him to the playground, and in the halls. Hoping that he starts
talking to the other children so he can tell them about Tuck.
Meaning, at least until this kid starts talking, I have forfeited my dog
from school start until noon (kindergarten is a half day)

Hopefully this interesting mission is successful. Will keep you posted.

Please do keep us posted diddy. Poor little fella. Fingers crossed. If
anyone can do it, Tuck can.

td

Old January 29th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

On 2008-01-28 22:54:54 -0500, diddy none said:

If we can get
this child to talk to Tuck, and respond to Tuck, they are hoping to bring
him out of his shell.

Tuck's assignment is to at first get this child to just utter sounds,
such
as Achooo. or Brrrrrrrr.

I'm wondering if the child will feel overwhelmed about being made to
perform (the noises) because he is obviously having problems...

Good thought. I wonder if perhaps the child is put in charge of Tuck, and
advised that 'Tuck will be looking to him for direction as to where or when
he needs to go outside, etc., it could possibly put less pressure on the
child? Maybe something as simple as *come* when it's time to go outside?

td

but I
would imagine that being around Tuck would make him feel pretty good.

Best of luck on this assignment.

Old January 29th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
[...]

From there, we will try to get him to give Tuck commands.
If he learns to handle Tuck, I will sit in the classroom, while Tuck sits
at this kid's desk. Tuck will be assigned to this kid throughout the day,
taking him to the playground, and in the halls. Hoping that he starts
talking to the other children so he can tell them about Tuck.
Meaning, at least until this kid starts talking, I have forfeited my dog
from school start until noon (kindergarten is a half day)

Hopefully this interesting mission is successful. Will keep you posted.

What an opportunity to give someone something so valuable-communication.

I think having Tuck will do so much for the child's self-esteem that he may
find the courage to speak. It will be a real boost to have something so
special that only he has, and be able to share it.

This is great Diddy, as usual, I'm all choked up. I think it's so fantastic
that your school district is able to give such individual attention, it's
life-changing. And to go outside the box to look for help and solutions.

I know that you love a challange, and here is one to test your mettle and
Tucks.
Karla

Old January 29th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

diddy wrote:
[...]

From there, we will try to get him to give Tuck commands.
If he learns to handle Tuck, I will sit in the classroom, while Tuck sits
at this kid's desk. Tuck will be assigned to this kid throughout the day,
taking him to the playground, and in the halls. Hoping that he starts
talking to the other children so he can tell them about Tuck.
Meaning, at least until this kid starts talking, I have forfeited my dog
from school start until noon (kindergarten is a half day)

Hopefully this interesting mission is successful. Will keep you posted.

Do keep us posted. I've never mentioned it before, but Tuck has a bunch
of fans here. Real life folks who are interested in education and love
to hear about your and Tuck's activities at the school.

--Lia

Old January 29th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Julia Altshuler spoke these words of wisdom in
:

diddy wrote:
[...]

From there, we will try to get him to give Tuck commands.
If he learns to handle Tuck, I will sit in the classroom, while Tuck
sits at this kid's desk. Tuck will be assigned to this kid throughout
the day, taking him to the playground, and in the halls. Hoping that he
starts talking to the other children so he can tell them about Tuck.
Meaning, at least until this kid starts talking, I have forfeited my
dog from school start until noon (kindergarten is a half day)

Hopefully this interesting mission is successful. Will keep you posted.

Do keep us posted. I've never mentioned it before, but Tuck has a bunch
of fans here. Real life folks who are interested in education and love
to hear about your and Tuck's activities at the school.

--Lia

Tuck had moderate success today. He met the child and brought a friend in a
small room with the three of us. Tuck did a series of tricks as a private
showing for a half hour to make the child at ease. Then we asked if he
would like to do make Tuck do tricks also. He shook his head. I could not
get him to verbalize anything, but he did gesture to Tuck and he interacted
him other than verbally.

He would not "achoo" or "Brrrrr". But I showed him hand signals and he
commanded Tuck with hand signals.
He smiled enthusiastically, but would not vocalize, even a laugh. He
enjoyed the show and interactions and did participate in the tricks. After
we used up our time (we were given 30 minutes, and we actually used an
hour) He led Tuck back into the classroom where Tuck got mobbed. He showed
the classmates how he could hand signal Tuck to do SIT, DOWN, Roll over,
Come, STAND. and Go Out to a spot.

I felt as if we were a complete failure. Although our purpose is to get the
child to verbalize, the teacher was highly encouraged, because the child
actually got up in front of the class (first time), and gestured . The
teacher has not been able to get the child to acknowledge anything all
year. No head shakes, no pointing, no laughing. He will not even indicate
if he needs to go to the bathroom. The most he's done before today was come
up and stand by the teacher if he wanted/needed something. If asked if he
wanted something, she would have to guess, but he would never acknowledge
if his needs were met or not.

So although our goal was not met, the teachers felt the session was very
encouraging.

Firsts today

Nodding
Smiling
giving gestures
interacting
Performing in front of the class.

Once he proves he has command of Tuck, he will put on a tricky dog show in
front of his classmates. He's going to have to verbalize to do some of the
tricks. He certainly enjoyed showing his classmates what he could make him
do today.

Tuck is going to be "His dog" in school. He will have to make him sit by
his desk while he's doing school work, and keep him in control at school.

Old January 29th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..

[...]

It's wonderful that Tuck and you are able to make this generous attempt to
help a child in need. I can't understand why a child who verbalizes freely
at home will not do so at school. There must be something about the school
environment (or something we don't know about the home environment), that
makes him unwilling to speak. Hopefully his behavior is being evaluated by
a mental health professional of some kind, but it appears that your (and
Tuck's) efforts are helping tremendously, so more power to you!

Paul and Muttley

Old January 29th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
snipped
It's wonderful that Tuck and you are able to make this generous attempt to
help a child in need. I can't understand why a child who verbalizes freely
at home will not do so at school. There must be something about the school
environment (or something we don't know about the home environment), that
makes him unwilling to speak. Hopefully his behavior is being evaluated by
a mental health professional of some kind, but it appears that your (and
Tuck's) efforts are helping tremendously, so more power to you!

Paul and Muttley

I was wondering the same thing myself, Paul. Although I could speak, and
speak quite clearly and understandable, I never spoke at school either. I
came from a severly abusive home life and was terrified to speak to anyone
at school. I remember my kindergarten teacher would occasionally sit me on
her lap and talk to me, but I never answered her, and was most at peace when
I was allowed to simply lay on my rest nap off somewhere by myself. I
hesitated mentioning this before you brought it up, but it was on my mind
last night when first reading diddy's assignment with this child. My
younger sister *couldn't* speak, at least not in a manner that anyone else
besides me could understand. Once she started school her teacher would
occasionally get someone to come and get me from my class to interpret that
my sister was saying for them. It was probably second grade before I
hesitantly began to speak at school, but even then, it was only in response
to a question, inquiry from the teacher, in a quiet, calm place. I never
actually spoke up in class for quite a few more years, and still only when
required to.

I am concerned about this child diddy is working with, as you appear to be.
Concerned as to what is going on in his homelife and why more investigation
doesn't appear to be done?

When my own kids were in elementary school, I did work one on one with a
couple different kindergarteners. We worked in a secluded spot, just me and
one child, for an hour at a time, until I could win their trust. Often
times, they would eventually sit on my lap, appeared to crave affection
first, before coming to the place where they could trust a bit.

I hope diddy can keep us posted onthis poor child. This just doesn't *feel*
right at all. I hope Tuck can make some headway into talking. And diddy,
this is just a thought from me, but it would seem to defeat the purpose a
bit if the child is using hand signals rather than speaking. I could be
wrong, but it would seem to me that by giving him the opportunity of another
way to communicate without actually having to *speak*, doesn't promote
getting him to talk. Take it for what it's worth, since I haven't seen the
situation first hand. *Usually* when a child won't speak, there is a
serious reason why, and in children this age, that *serious reason* usually
lies in the home.

td

Old January 29th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"tiny dancer" spoke these words of
wisdom in :

And diddy,
this is just a thought from me, but it would seem to defeat the purpose
a bit if the child is using hand signals rather than speaking. I could
be wrong, but it would seem to me that by giving him the opportunity of
another way to communicate without actually having to *speak*, doesn't
promote getting him to talk. Take it for what it's worth, since I
haven't seen the situation first hand. *Usually* when a child won't
speak, there is a serious reason why, and in children this age, that
*serious reason* usually lies in the home.

td

I understand the concerns about something being seriously wrong at home,
and the staff has mentioned the possibility of such, but the kid isn't
talking, and the parents are not admitting to abuse.
Since the child won't even point, nod, or communicate in ANY way, the
teachers considered his using hand signals as an advancement. At least
it's communication. The teacher would be happy if he would even point.

Or shake his head yes or no. He has not until today.

He did nod his head. He did use hand signals. He even smiled. They are
hoping to reach him through interaction and responsibility with the dog.
They have not accomplished in a whole half year, the advancement that he
accomplished today with the child. Although not exactly the goal we were
hoping to achieve, there was certainly enough advancement today to find
this worthy of exploring further.
Old January 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

diddy wrote:

He did nod his head. He did use hand signals. He even smiled. They are
hoping to reach him through interaction and responsibility with the dog.
They have not accomplished in a whole half year, the advancement that he
accomplished today with the child. Although not exactly the goal we were
hoping to achieve, there was certainly enough advancement today to find
this worthy of exploring further.

I think it's a tremendous thing you and Tuck are doing with this
child! If the child was doing nothing to communicate before his
session with you and Tuck, it seems to me that he took a giant
leap in just an hour. Keep nudging him in the direction of
making sounds, but don't discount the value of his current level
of communication. Maybe you could come up with a trick that Tuck
"can't" understand how to do unless he hears the command (or
maybe just a grunt or buzz).

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.

CAN YOU SEE WHY IT'S IMPOSSIBLE? Why "No Planes" spreading like wildfire around the world. sandman Dog behavior 1 September 26th 07 09:39 AM
"A Relative Judgement Of A Circular Assignment Of Thought." It's Only Alimentary, Dear Watson Dog behavior 0 May 10th 05 10:05 PM
Your Assignment Rocky Dog behavior 99 October 9th 03 04:50 PM
Your Assignment Rocky Dog behavior 0 October 8th 03 03:28 AM
Your Assignment Rocky Dog behavior 0 October 8th 03 03:28 AM