Melinda: Mushing in Ontario

Old February 1st 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default Melinda: Mushing in Ontario

http://www.brocknews.ca/jan28winterfunday.htm

In the video, that Maybe's dam in the right swing spot on the BC
team.

Old February 1st 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
In the video, that Maybe's dam in the right swing spot on the BC
team.

Well, that's pretty awesome. Does that tempt you at all?

Brockville is actually just a few hours by car from here,
and I drive by it to get to Ottawa. There's a fair amount
of recreational purebred sledding in that area, and that's
not the only border collie team in eastern Ontario. They
travel in caravans to dogsled events around the northeastern
US and eastern Canada and camp together. I happened to camp
next to a bunch of them at the Northern New England Sleddog
Fair last year and liked them a lot. There are dryland
races on the Sunday of that fair and after her run I saw one
of them walking back out on the trail. I asked her if she'd
dropped something and she said one of her dogs had pooped
and she was going to go find it, and a bunch of people
looked at her as if she'd sprouted a second head. Anyway,
it would be cool if Maybe's breeder showed up for that sort
of thing.

Here, it's raining, which is completely insane, and over the
past few days I've gotten email saying three more races have
been cancelled because of the lack of snow. One of those is
in Marmora, so it's good that the festival at the Mac
Johnson Area took place before the snow washed away.

Do you know if she's planning on coming down to NY for the
Tug Hill races? It's just about two hours from Brockville.

Old February 1st 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
Tangentially speaking of Huskies, the one that showed up at my
house a couple of weeks ago went missing again during the -40
weather. She must have been left outside again during the day.

That sucks. Even a lot of people who live in places like
Fairbanks and Whitehorse move their dogs inside or into a
dog barn in that kind of cold, and it's particularly hard on
a dog who's not used to being outside in extremely cold
weather on a regular basis. I hope the owner finds the dog
and rehomes her, and in the meantime I hope that somebody's
taken her in.

Anyway, you can run a sled with just a few dogs and there
are even races in the midwest with a three-dog limit. And
there's always skijoring and scootering. It's fun, and it's
great conditioning for the dogs.

Old February 1st 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Redman wrote:
Yeah I know I killfiled you but I can see your reply

I just wanted to see that again.

Old February 1st 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
You never answered my question about tularemia. Or do you only post
when you "think" you're right?

If he only posted when he was actually right he'd never
post.

Anyway, from what he's described about his dog's diet I'd
put the risk of pancreatitis somewhat higher than tularemia,
although obviously you're right that tularemia remains a
risk.

Old February 1st 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Redman" wrote:

Ok I've found your post on Tularemia, no I've never heard of it and that's
what you asked so what's your point?

It's a potentially fatal disease carried by rabbits, and handling
skinned rabbits ia a pretty easy way to contract it. It exists in the
UK. Your little story about tossing rabbits and hares to the Greyhounds
after you pulled the skin from the hares, seems like pretty risky and
unhealthy behavior. I figured you had never heard of it, or just like
to do stupid things.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 1st 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
I figured you had never heard of it, or just like
to do stupid things.

Now, what in heaven's name might lead you to think that he's
uninformed?

Old February 1st 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Redman

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"Redman" wrote:

Ok I've found your post on Tularemia, no I've never heard of it and
that's
what you asked so what's your point?

It's a potentially fatal disease carried by rabbits, and handling
skinned rabbits ia a pretty easy way to contract it. It exists in the
UK. Your little story about tossing rabbits and hares to the Greyhounds
after you pulled the skin from the hares, seems like pretty risky and
unhealthy behavior. I figured you had never heard of it, or just like
to do stupid things.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Did you skip over the part where I said it was 23 years ago and both dogs
lived to 12 years of age, free of any symptom/s of any disease? BTW you also
seem to have missed the part where I said the dogs were not mine, so I
wasn't throwing or handling anything, what my m8 fed his dogs at the time
was up to him, I used to think it was disgusting hence the reason I said yuk
in the post but I eventually opened my eyes. My dog and the 2 I had previous
to this one are/were all fed on a Raw diet, not one of my dogs has been
vaccinated and never will be, just like me. I don't believe in putting
poisonous toxins into healthy bodies. Oh and BTW I've had a Google for your
Tularemia, it appears that the strain we have in Europe is nowhere as bad as
the one in N.America and it very rarely leads to anything. So I won't lose
any sleep over it. I would also like to point out that when I was about 11 I
used to have a Polecat, went out for rabbits with it at least once a week,
skinned, gutted, cooked and eaten, never done me any harm, I'm still here 30
years later.

Redman

BC mushing Rocky[_2_] Dog behavior 1 October 4th 07 07:48 PM
Mushing sounds Melinda Shore Dog behavior 8 September 14th 05 12:40 PM
Mushing Border Collies Melinda Shore Dog behavior 176 December 1st 03 03:43 PM
Mushing 101 (Truckee, California) Melinda Shore Dog behavior 0 September 13th 03 03:25 AM
Mushing 101 (Truckee, California) Melinda Shore Dog behavior 0 September 13th 03 03:25 AM