16-yr-old pom. can't hold pee overnight - solution?

Old February 3rd 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Roger Taylor

Default 16-yr-old pom. can't hold pee overnight - solution?

We have a 16 year old active and well exercised Pomeranian in otherwise good
health. In the past year he often cannot make it through the night without
popping out of his basket and quietly peeing on the bedroom rug. Half the
time, he manages to make it to the door and scratch, and we let him out, but
other times he doesn't appear to have time to express his wishes. Our only
solution so far is to hop-to, soak up the pee, and apply one of those
bio-digesters that is supposed to remove the scent.
One option that occurred to me was to put aluminum foil sheet around the
base of his basket, so the crinkly sound would awaken us. I tried it, and it
wakes us up, but he has too many false alarms, where he just wants to
stretch and have a limber-up session.
How about reverting to crate training, and putting him in a large open top
cardboard box at night, on the assumption he will scratch when he has to
pee, rather than soil his nest?
I am interested in how some of you with older dogs handles this inevitable
issue with elderly or incontinent pets.
Roger

Old February 3rd 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Roger Taylor" sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote:

I am interested in how some of you with older dogs handles this inevitable
issue with elderly or incontinent pets.

I'd consider getting him a litter box that you can keep near (but not
too near) his bed. A small concession for an old dog who is otherwise
in good shape.

Obviously, ever effort should be made to have him urinate right before
bedtime, and you may even choose to do what many people do with a young
puppy - set the alarm and take him out before the urge strikes. Has he
been to the vet recently? Blood panel? Urinalysis?

--
Janet Boss
Old February 3rd 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Roger Taylor" sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I am interested in how some of you with older dogs handles
this inevitable issue with elderly or incontinent pets.

With my old girl, I managed it. At 14 she deserved a lot of
respect.

You describe retraining your 16 year old dog with aversives.
Instead, take him to the vet to make sure he's OK in those parts
which pee. If he's OK healthwise, then deal with symptoms of
getting old.

Old February 3rd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Roger Taylor wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you're trying to deal with a medical problem with
behavioral solutions. Take him to the veterinarian first. Mine started
my elderly girl with antibiotics for the infections that kept creeping
up, then steroids. It might be different for your dog. If that doesn't
help, invest in washable towels for her bed and wash them as often as
necessary so he always has a clean comfortable place to sleep and enjoy
his elder years as much as possible.

--Lia

Old February 3rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

Roger Taylor wrote:
[...]

We have a 16.5 year old chihuahua who evidently decided this
winter that she should not be expected to go outside in the cold.
To compound the problem, she takes Lasix, a diuretic. We put
her outside when we see her start acting like she needs to potty,
but sometimes we don't catch her in time.

What do we do? SpotBot is our friend. I don't think it's a
training problem, since she was quite willing to bark to go out
up until about three months ago. (Training us, perhaps.) She
gets anxious and barks and whines continuously when she is
confined, whether in a crate or in the kitchen with her bed, so a
crate is out. She has other health issues (heart, arthritis) and
we don't think she's going to last that much longer, so we just
clean up after her and put up with it and try to keep her
comfortable.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, and your situation
may be different. You could try putting his bed in an x-pen
lined with lots of old towels, so if he pees during the night, it
will just soak a washable towel.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old February 3rd 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Roger Taylor" sherryrogeratcomcastdotnet wrote in message
news
[...]

Hi Roger~

This is an easy one for me. My senior Basset Hound has reached a "pee
break" every night now. It's tough on me to get woken up at all different
hours, so I set my alarm at 4 a.m. He usually wakes me up before then, but
if not, he goes out via the alarm clock. There's nothing else I can do, so
I make the best of it. After all, I signed up for ALL of his life. I am
lucky that I don't have to get up bright and early. In fact, by getting him
out in the middle of the night, I get a wonderful sleep in every morning...
and he sleeps in, as well.

I would do anything for this guy. I love him so, soooo much!! :'o)

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old February 4th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"FurPaw" wrote in message:

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, and your situation
may be different. You could try putting his bed in an x-pen
lined with lots of old towels, so if he pees during the night, it
will just soak a washable towel.

Khan's nowhere near that old, but when he started having midnight peeing
issues (thankfully, he's very good about letting us know), and until we
could troubleshoot it, we would just get up as many times as he needed to go
out. Even now, since we know he has leakage issues, we are very careful
about not making him hold any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Suja

Old February 4th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Roger Taylor wrote:

I am interested in how some of you with older dogs handles this inevitable
issue with elderly or incontinent pets.

Have you seen a vet?

Winnie had incontinence problems for her last 4 years or so, and we got
a prescription from the vet that handled it.

For a male, you can also use belly bands.

For nighttime, you can use a crate and put a layer on the bottom that
will absorb urine (e.g., towels) and a layer on the top that the urine
will pass mostly through (such as artic fleece or Polar fleece) and then
he will be comfortable all night long and you will just need to change
it every day.
Old February 8th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

[...]

I have three in the house 2, 3 and 7. With different sleeping habits and
squatting needs I am I supposed fortunate that I haven't had a solid night's
sleep in 15 years. Partial insomenia, peri-men, my own bladder, plus mother
to an almost eleven year old and I'm on patrol every night at least twice.

At 16, it's probably harder to hold (think of your old grandpa). Keeping
him crated with lots of soak through towels is a fair solution in the short
run. Getting up with him once during the night to me would be a sweet way
to spend the time you know you are going to miss after he is gone.

Leastwise, that's how I think of the friends from past packs. I figure it's
what I signed on for.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Old February 8th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mike

my dog is about ten, a mixed shepherd type,and in excellent health. The last
three days, though, I have returned home from work to find that the dog had
defecated(diarrhea) on the kitchen floor. The reason is, that the dog has
diarrhea and no one is home for about five seven hours in the evening, and
thus he can't get outside and he can't hold it that long.. He has never
in the five years I had him, ever been any kind of problem as far as
cleanliness in the house, and when I am home, sleeping, for example, the dog
will seek me out and actually wake me up to let him out. He has not ever
messed the floor when someone was home to let him out. So, I just clean up
the mess and tolerate it. if he doesn't get better soon, I might take him to
the veterinarian, but I am expecting it to clear up on it's own. Mike.

Old dog cannot hold it, overnight - ideas? Roger Taylor Dog health 6 March 5th 08 07:06 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 35 July 19th 04 06:21 AM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM