What dog breed would be good for a fictional sleuth?

Old February 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
STJensen

Default What dog breed would be good for a fictional sleuth?

I'm writing a mystery and am considering giving the sleuth a dog
companion. The private detective works solo and I thought a dog
companion would be a good idea for him.

He travels all over the world solving crimes and stays as a guest in
the luxurious private homes of his clients ... so no not-dog-friendly
hotels to worry about. He also travels by private jet and the dog
would ride with him in the jet's cabin ... so no issues with
airlines. On the ground, he travels around by limo ... so no taxis to
fret about.

The detective is an educated manly man and I think a large dog would
best suit him. A dog that is of sound solid build but also pleasing
to the eye.

The gumshoe goes for long walks to think over the case at hand and his
dog would come along. They'd play catch or Frisbee on the airport
tarmac while waiting for the jet to arrive or a limo to pick them up.
The dog would be trained to guard the sleuth's guest room when given
the command so it protects evidence he's collected during his
investigations. The dog would sleep at the foot of his bed and if an
intruder came in at night, the dog would be trained to silently wake
the sleuth by tugging at his pajamas and/or pawing him. If the sleuth
was attacked, the dog would come to his defense. The dog would also
be very friendly with strangers, well-mannered, and lovable. A bit of
a nut at times. Loves to rollick and a ham at heart. Women and
children openly love the dog and men cannot but smile and want to pet
it.

Given all this, which breed do you think would be suit this fictional
sleuth? My guess is Irish Setter.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Old February 5th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

STJensen spoke these words of wisdom in
:

[...]

Irish Setters are a bit dingy for such a noble role. How about something
worthy and regal of such a character, such as a Great Dane?
Old February 5th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
STJensen

On Feb 4, 6:05 pm, diddy none wrote:
STJensen wrote:
Given all this, which breed do you think would be suit this
fictional sleuth? My guess is Irish Setter.

Irish Setters are a bit dingy for such a noble role.

Dingy? You sure that's the word you meant? I looked that up in the
dictionary and I would say that Irish Setters are exactly the opposite
of that. All the Irish Setter I've seen have been beautiful dogs and
the breed is said to be considered the most beautiful of all dogs.

How about something worthy and regal of such a character, such
as a Great Dane?

Wouldn't its massive size freak most people and be an issue in small
private jet, limos, and walking around expensively furnished mansions?

Scott
Old February 5th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

STJensen wrote:
Given all this, which breed do you think would be suit this
fictional sleuth? My guess is Irish Setter.

Irish Setters are a bit dingy for such a noble role.

Dingy? You sure that's the word you meant? I looked that up in the
dictionary and I would say that Irish Setters are exactly the opposite
of that. All the Irish Setter I've seen have been beautiful dogs and
the breed is said to be considered the most beautiful of all dogs.

Irish Setters are incredibly showy and their flowing copper coats are
certainly spectacular. But all dogs are not alike. Every Irish Setter I've
ever met has been an airhead.

All looks..nothing upstairs, and certainly not a consult on great matters.
but hey! It's YOUR story!

How about something worthy and regal of such a character, such
as a Great Dane?

Wouldn't its massive size freak most people and be an issue in small
private jet, limos, and walking around expensively furnished mansions?

Not if the dog is well behaved.

Scott

Old February 5th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
STJensen

STJensen wrote:
Given all this, which breed do you think would be suit this
fictional sleuth? My guess is Irish Setter.

Irish Setters are a bit dingy for such a noble role.

Dingy? You sure that's the word you meant? I looked that up in the
dictionary and I would say that Irish Setters are exactly the opposite
of that. All the Irish Setter I've seen have been beautiful dogs and
the breed is said to be considered the most beautiful of all dogs.

Irish Setters are incredibly showy and their flowing copper coats are
certainly spectacular. But all dogs are not alike. Every Irish Setter I've
ever met has been an airhead.

All looks..nothing upstairs, and certainly not a consult on great matters.

I'm just stating what I've read. I also read at BestDOG (http://
www.glowdog.com/bestdog/) that Irish Setters have an intelligence
score of 60 and Great Dane only 30.

but hey! It's YOUR story!

Yes, I know. But I'm here asking opinions about what breed would be
the most believable in the role I outlined in my original post. I
appreciate your input and am taking it seriously. If I come negative,
that's not my intent. Just being a bit of a Devil's Advocate.

How about something worthy and regal of such a character, such
as a Great Dane?

Wouldn't its massive size freak most people and be an issue in small
private jet, limos, and walking around expensively furnished mansions?

Not if the dog is well behaved.

I'm concerned their giant size might be a bit overwhelming in people's
minds.

Scott
Old February 5th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

STJensen wrote:
[...]

Border collie, male, with wolfy yellow eyes. Keen intelligence, highly
trainable and a piercing, hypnotic stare known to provoke extreme unease
in anybody hiding a secret.

I've only known a couple of irish setters and if they'd had yellow hair
you'd call them dumb blonds.

Old February 5th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On Feb 4, 5:08*pm, STJensen wrote:
[...]

An Irish wolfhound or a borzoi would be large and yet attractive. As
long as they got long walks every day, they'd be fine, and the Irish
wouldn't need as much grooming as the borzoi. further, Irish
wolfhounds have a tendency to watch over their master and his
stuff,and I would think it's be pretty easy to train one to paw his
master awake.
Irish setters are absolutely gorgeous, and I've owned and love them
for their extreme intelligence, cheery temperament, eagerness to be
with the owner even if it means hiking in a blizzard, and ease of
training. I've heard them described as the "Thoroughbred of the dog
kingdom",though, because they are EXTREMELY energetic,and very
sensitive, mine KNEW it when I was sad, even without my SHOWING it,
and they moped, too, and if I was feeling worried, they'd stay very
near, as if to reassure me. A detective might not like having his dog
mirror the detective's feelings. Also, they seem to need LOTS of
exercise, and lots of travel might preclude that. And they need some
brushing weekly to keep that long red coat in good order. And for
guarding ANYTHING, they're pretty useless, they love people of all
kinds too much to even act agressive towards evil-type strangers, the
sort of dog who'd help the burglar take the silver!
To me, Saint Bernards are the perfect breed, wonderful personalities
for the most part, harmless toward strangers, and imposing in size.
They DO drool, though, due to the shape of their lips, and the long-
haired ones shed like a BUFFALO twice a year, and many rich clients
would probably find the slobbering (and the towel to wipe the jowls
dry) kind of off-putting.
Good luck with your novel!
Cindy
Old February 5th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky[_2_]

STJensen said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

[Great Dane]

Wouldn't its massive size freak most people and be an issue
in small private jet, limos, and walking around expensively
furnished mansions?

Shouldn't.

Old February 5th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy[_2_]

Kathleen spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I've only known a couple of irish setters and if they'd had yellow hair
you'd call them dumb blonds.

I've known a lot of Irish Setters, and would call them all dumb redhEADS.
Old February 5th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"STJensen" wrote in message:

I'm just stating what I've read. I also read at BestDOG (http://
www.glowdog.com/bestdog/) that Irish Setters have an intelligence
score of 60 and Great Dane only 30.

I have a Great Dane, and have met plenty of Irish Setters, and I must say
that score (whatever it means) is ass backwards. I am yet to meet an Irish
Setter that comes close to resembling any definition of smart. VERY pretty
dogs, however. Danes are very smart and trainable. They look majestic,
don't require lots of maintenance, are friendly and even tempered, yet
protective when necessary.

I'm concerned their giant size might be a bit overwhelming in people's
minds.

Doesn't appear to be the case. My GSD mix is approached with caution by
most people, but even little kids seem totally okay with running up and
hugging a dog that can look them straight in the eye. Size-wise BTW, Danes
can run the gamut. My female Dane is not that massive, at 108 pounds, and
most people I know seem to like the fact that they don't have to bend over
to pet the dog.

Suja