question about a dog breed

Old February 10th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyllis Stone

Default question about a dog breed

I don't know who to ask so I thought maybe someone on this group might know.
There is a small terrier type dog who lives behind us. He has the weirdest
bark I have ever heard, it doesn't sound like a dog at all. more like a loud
grunting noise, it is really hard to describe. Well today he got through an
opening in our mutual fence and attacked our dog, a dachshund. I ran out and
the dog came after me too. We all finally got him back where he belonged,
he doesn't mind his owner very well. Here is my question. This dog has a
really bad attitude, a chip on his shoulder. Everything seems to make him
angry and want to fight. Is there a breed of dog that is like this? He is
not a pitbulldog. I froze and spoke calmly to him and he let go but he would
turn right around and come back. Is this some kind of new fighting dog or
just a mean little dog?

Old February 10th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

I'm way more often concerned about little dogs than big dogs. (although I
have to admit, I got 'stared down' by a golden a month or so ago. It was his
house, at night, and I was shining a bright light at him (my headlights). I
wasn't about to take the chance. I've seen the same dog in the day time, and
he's never done anything, but he would have been 'within his rights' to
'escort' me off the property)
Its not the breed either in my opinion, more the treatment/training that the
dog recieves. Some of the nicest dogs I know are pitbulls.

Had a little papillon puppy the other day go after me at the vet clinic.
Found out later that the owners kids like to get it all riled up, probably
think its funny when he growls at them or something. The dog also gets his
own way all the time. Ended up leaving one of his baby teeth in my thumb. I
casually handed it back to the owner and let them know, that no this wasn't
normal puppy behavior, and they should really work on him a bit more.

Dale

t...

Old February 11th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyllis Stone

On 2008-02-10 16:26:07 -0500, "Phyllis Stone" said:

a small terrier type dog

What does the dog look like?

I can't show you a picture, I can only describe him. I noticed that he was
thin, you could see his ribs, the size of a cocker spaniel, short white hair
with a few splotches. My husband remembered his very long teeth, I'm glad I
was wearing long pants. The odd thing about him is his very strange bark
and his really wanting to fight someone. The family are Vietnamese and have
lived there several years and this is the first dog I have ever seen there.

Old February 11th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

[...]

Its just a badly trained, poorly socialized and perhaps badly bred. Some
breeds are more prone to fighting than others but none are supposed to be as
you describe.

Old February 11th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

On 2008-02-10 16:26:07 -0500, "Phyllis Stone" said:

a small terrier type dog

What does the dog look like?

I can't show you a picture, I can only describe him. I noticed that he
was thin, you could see his ribs, the size of a cocker spaniel, short
white hair with a few splotches. My husband remembered his very long
teeth, I'm glad I was wearing long pants. The odd thing about him is his
very strange bark and his really wanting to fight someone. The family are
Vietnamese and have lived there several years and this is the first dog I
have ever seen there.

He's likely a jack russel terrier or a rat terrier or some mix with one of
the above. Terriers aren't called terrors for nothing.

Old February 11th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

I can't show you a picture, I can only describe him. I noticed that he
was thin, you could see his ribs,

He sounds underfed. Might be part of the reason he's in a bad mood.

Dale

Old February 11th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article mFQrj.19672$C61.18615@edtnps89,
Dale Atkin wrote:
He sounds underfed. Might be part of the reason he's in a bad mood.

If you can't see the last couple of ribs he's probably fat.
I realize that you're hoping to go to vet school, and one
thing I find pretty disconcerting about vets these days is
that they're so accustomed to seeing fat pet dogs that they
have a skewed idea of what's "normal."

Old February 11th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyllis Stone

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

He's likely a jack russel terrier or a rat terrier or some mix with one of
the above. Terriers aren't called terrors for nothing.

I went to google and looked at pictures and he is probably a Jack Russell
mostly. The character description was a bit alarming, climb fences, dig,
shouldn't be around small animals, needs lots of exercise. He sure does have
the aggression down pat. Thank you newsgroup. you were a big help. We have
to make sure there are no more loose boards. He may not stay there long, the
man acted a bit taken aback by his attitude and totally clueless as to what
to do.

Old February 12th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

If you can't see the last couple of ribs he's probably fat.
I realize that you're hoping to go to vet school, and one
thing I find pretty disconcerting about vets these days is
that they're so accustomed to seeing fat pet dogs that they
have a skewed idea of what's "normal."

The line I've always been told, is you should be able to feel the ribs
(without digging through fat), but not see them. Should generally also have
a well defined waist.
I'm probably picturing this animal different than you are, without a picture
its tough to tell. Given that she mentioned being able to see the ribs, I'm
imagining seeing the whole set of ribs, not just the last rib or two.

I think the issue is at what point weight is considered a problem, more than
at what point the weight is 'non ideal'.

Dale

Old February 12th 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"Dale Atkin" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The line I've always been told, is you should be able to
feel the ribs (without digging through fat), but not see
them. Should generally also have a well defined waist.

Yep, with coated dogs. With nekkid dogs, it's the last rib
showing. For example, I see a lot of very in-shape labs in
agility. Lots of muscle and full of energy, but that last rib
always shows.