Weather

Old February 11th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

Default Weather

http://wral.com/news/local/story/2418237/

The weather here is has rapidly gone from bad to worse. The drought is bad,
but the winds today haven't let up all day long. I've lost count as to how
many counties are actively fighting fires right now. The highest wind gusts
we've seen have been as high as 60 mph.

Ah, just now the news caster said 80 fires still not contained, 112 fires
burning now across the state. Just as we aren't prepared for snow, we also
aren't prepared for the kinds of fires like you see in Calif. Lot's of
these counties only have volunteer fire depts.

When I took the dogs walking today, there were times we could barely make
any headway against the wind, especially on the gravel road. Gusts of wind
were bringing dust and dirt as high as the trees at us. So far we haven't
suffered any wind damage, but my daughters neighbors trampoline blew right
through her six foot tall privacy fence and crashed down on the kids
play-set. Broke the fence, play-set, (one of those big wooden things with
swings, playhouse, slides, climbing wall, etc.) and trampoline. Luckily the
kids and dogs were inside the house at the time.

td

Old February 11th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2008021108105543658-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
We've finally got the sub-freezing, "It's really winter now" weather.

Let's enjoy it while we've got it - it's going back to
above-normal temperatures towards the middle of the week.
This has been an absolutely ridiculous winter, with February
temperatures averaging 10 degrees above normal so far. I
had to go to California last week and on Tuesday, during the
80-mile drive to Syracuse at 4am, I hit a *lightning*
storm. In February. In Syracuse.

We may actually get some snow tomorrow, in which case I'm
taking some days off of work to recreate. Yesterday
afternoon the temperature plummeted and the wind started
gusting up to 40mph, so I did the natural and right thing,
and hooked the dogs up to the ATV and went for a run. By
last night the wind had picked up even more and the
temperature dropped to 0F by about bedtime and that's when I
discovered that my tough, cold-adapted dogs have turned into
huge weenies, with Slick even hiding upstairs so he wouldn't
have to go out. This morning it's still brisk but the
wind's subsided and now I can't get a few of them to come
in. Stupid dogs.

But we're weenies, too - here's what the Fairbanks News
Miner had to say about the weather on the notorious Eagle
Summit while the Yukon Quest racers traversed it yesterday:

This time huge 4X4 tripods helped mark the way, but good
visibility made navigation easy and the manageable
mountain conditions -- about 10 below with a headwind of
perhaps 20-30 mph -- caused minimal distress.

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/feb/1...l-time-around/

Old February 11th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2008021109071116807-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
But yes, this has been a stupid "winter" and I simply assume that we
are going to be getting the big snows in March, like we did last year.
The really "good" winter has skewed north of us (hello, Ontario!).

Southern Ontario actually hasn't gotten much snow, either,
although Toronto did get its heaviest December snowfall in
something like 80 years. But other than that, not much.

We
have used the shovel about 4-5 times.

I've used it once.

Around here, and probably in your area, the true believers don't wear
winter coats for doing errands and the like unless it's more or less
sub-zero, and then we don't always zip them.

The one time I lost the team was when I stopped to zip up my
parka. The temperature was in the high single digits, which
is fine until you get a breeze on you, so I stopped to zip
up. I've been conscious of it ever since, and now always
zip up before hopping on the sled or ATV.

I am, as you are, very unhappy about this lack of snow business.

You're probably not thinking about relocating because of it.
I am. The last real winter we had was in 2003. Last year
we had a few weeks in February, and this year not at all,
really. I have dreams at night about skiing - that
sensation as you shift your weight onto the off ski and
glide off on it.

Old February 11th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Suja wrote:
Khan wanting to run on-leash (running in hiking boots is NOT recommended),

I actually do that all the time. I get tired faster, of
course. What really sucks is when out sledding, running up
hills wearing hunting boots and a parka. By the time we get
to the top of the hill I'm hot and a little sweaty, and then
I get on the sled and ride down and get chilled. It's kind
of a stupid sport like that.

That's funny. Slick ought to have his Husky license revoked.

That's exactly what I told him, but he didn't seem that
concerned about the state of his license. One thing that
was nice is that he finally ran out because he had to pee.
At this point I ought to be more sure about this sort of
thing but it's always a relief to have it confirmed that
yes, the dog really is house-trained.

Old February 11th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Yesterday
afternoon the temperature plummeted and the wind started
gusting up to 40mph, so I did the natural and right thing,
and hooked the dogs up to the ATV and went for a run.

Our evening walk yesterday was interesting. Mostly because we were totally
unprepared for how windy it was. So, there we were, freezing our butt off,
Khan wanting to run on-leash (running in hiking boots is NOT recommended),
and Pan walking with her eyes all squinted into the wind. In the end, we
took shortcuts to keep Rajesh's ears from falling off (also, to keep what's
left of his hair from flying away), and Khan kept turning back and giving
wistful looks to the all the trail that we opted not to take.

By
last night the wind had picked up even more and the
temperature dropped to 0F by about bedtime and that's when I
discovered that my tough, cold-adapted dogs have turned into
huge weenies, with Slick even hiding upstairs so he wouldn't
have to go out.

That's funny. Slick ought to have his Husky license revoked. I don't think
it has ever gotten cold enough outside that Khan has not wanted to go out
(It's 19 F outside with a 'feels like' of 6 degrees, and he's outside,
snoozing). Yesterday, he wouldn't come in after going out to pee at night,
and if someone didn't know what was going on, they would've assumed that I
was asking him to come in so he could get his daily beatings.

Suja

Old February 11th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot[_2_]

We are in for crappy stuff the next 2 days. Starting late tonight 2 to 4
inches of mixed stuff.

Gabby will be in heaven she loves the snow. It's blowing like crazy and at
4 degrees and she lays down in the snow and happily chews on a stick. The
other two barrel into the house as soon as they do their business.

Celeste

On 2008-02-11 08:30:05 -0500, (Melinda Shore) said:

I discovered that my tough, cold-adapted dogs have turned into
huge weenies,

Meet Beanie, who will melt in the rain or die in cold weather.

This dog, who was more or less an "outside" dog for the first two years of
her life, came to us with no coat. Over a year later and she is more coat
than dog and hatesHatesHATES weather that isn't dry and above freezing.

But yes, this has been a stupid "winter" and I simply assume that we are
going to be getting the big snows in March, like we did last year. The
really "good" winter has skewed north of us (hello, Ontario!). We have
used the shovel about 4-5 times.

But crossing the big parking lot yesterday was reminiscent of crossing the
frozen tundra and since we haven't really brought out the
hats/scarves/gloves, we were COLD!

Around here, and probably in your area, the true believers don't wear
winter coats for doing errands and the like unless it's more or less
sub-zero, and then we don't always zip them.

Kids are getting a snow day today, even if there really isn't snow because
it's so cold. "Our" kids walk to school.

I am, as you are, very unhappy about this lack of snow business.

Old February 11th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb[_2_]

montana wildhack wrote in

Meet Beanie, who will melt in the rain or die in cold weather.

Beanie, rhymes with Queenie, she whom I call "Princess Dainty Toes."

(I can't tell if the above sentence is grammatically correct. Please
don't tell my boss.)

--
Catherine
& Zoe, Queenie, & Max, 3 black dogs of varying sizes
Old February 11th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
ceb wrote:
Wow, you are one tough woman!

Not me! If you dress right you don't have to be tough. But
consider the dogs, who run around naked out there.

We had high winds here, too, and I was
afraid to drive to the supermarket.

Wind can do a heck of a lot of damage. I have a friend who
was driving his 4WD 3/4 ton pickup on icy roads and had it
blown straight sideways off the road. I drove over to some
friends' yesterday evening but I drove really slowly and
there weren't any other cars out so I didn't have to worry
about other drivers doing something unexpected, which I
think is always the biggest problem in funky weather.

To the weather gods Kathleen Dog behavior 0 December 8th 07 03:47 PM
Cooler Weather Shelly Dog behavior 22 November 7th 07 12:34 PM
Weather Dog D.Currie Dog behavior 0 August 7th 03 10:26 PM