My newly adopted dog.. need some advice

Old February 14th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default My newly adopted dog.. need some advice

I recently adopted a Chihuahua, who was physically and mentally
abused. His owners did not care for him what so ever, I know gaining
trust back in a dog takes a very long time. But anyone have some
ideas, on how to help this dog become more of a people person, He
won't come out of the corner in my officer and if you get to close he
will snap...I've had 3 Chihuahuas' so far, and my mom breeds them, But
I want to know what other people have done, or do to help this dog
feel like he is at home, and safe.

Thanks,
Old February 14th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer[_3_]

wrote in message
I recently adopted a Chihuahua, who was physically and mentally
abused. His owners did not care for him what so ever, I know gaining
trust back in a dog takes a very long time. But anyone have some
ideas, on how to help this dog become more of a people person, He
won't come out of the corner in my officer and if you get to close he
will snap...I've had 3 Chihuahuas' so far, and my mom breeds them, But
I want to know what other people have done, or do to help this dog
feel like he is at home, and safe.

Thanks,

I've never had a chihuahua. My first suggestion would be to sit on the
floor, a bit away from the dog, and see if eventually it will come to you,
rather than you try to approach him. Perhaps have a few treats to offer,
from a distance.

td

Old February 14th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 6:09*pm, Julia Altshuler wrote:
wrote:
I recently adopted a Chihuahua, who was physically and mentally
abused. *His owners did not care for him what so ever, I know gaining
trust back in a dog takes a very long time. But anyone have some
ideas, on how to help this dog become more of a people person, He
won't come out of the corner in my officer and if you get to close he
will snap...I've had 3 Chihuahuas so far, and my mom breeds them, But
I want to know what other people have done, or do to help this dog
feel like he is at home, and safe.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but really, obedience training
is the best thing for him. *It will give him the sense that his behavior
controls what happens to him. *No more random world. *He needs a
schedule for food, sleep, outside bathroom breaks, training, and exercise.

Are you sure he's temperamentally sound? *The problem might not be
entirely environmental.

You say your mother breeds them. *Is this one that she bred?

--Lia

No it was not one that she breed I found the classified in the
newpapers for my town and he was $50.00 so I knew something was wrong,
I went to pick him up and they treated him as if he was garbage, there
son terroirzed him, or so the lady told me, the husband smacked him
twice when i was there, granted the dog is 4 pounds, and I couldn't
stand to see a dog in that condition. He is registered with AKC and
everything. And my Fiance said he has seen him wag his tail once in a
while looking at him, but for the most part we can't pick him up, or
he will bite, I want him to go to training, but I would need him to be
a lil more nicer to others before I let him go.
Old February 14th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but really, obedience training
is the best thing for him.

It really depends on how brittle he is, what kind of class
they go to or techniques they use, and so on. My own
inclination would be to not ask much from him until the
"honeymoon period" is over, he's figured out that the new
situation is permanent, and he's become accustomed to the
rhythms of his new home.

Old February 14th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw[_2_]

tiny dancer wrote:
wrote in message
I recently adopted a Chihuahua, who was physically and mentally
abused. His owners did not care for him what so ever, I know gaining
trust back in a dog takes a very long time. But anyone have some
ideas, on how to help this dog become more of a people person, He
won't come out of the corner in my officer and if you get to close he
will snap...I've had 3 Chihuahuas' so far, and my mom breeds them, But
I want to know what other people have done, or do to help this dog
feel like he is at home, and safe.

Thanks,

I've never had a chihuahua. My first suggestion would be to sit on the
floor, a bit away from the dog, and see if eventually it will come to you,
rather than you try to approach him. Perhaps have a few treats to offer,
from a distance.

To that I'd add: don't look directly at the dog. Sit sideways
from him. Toss a treat his way, close to him. After he eats
that, toss another, a tiny distance closer to you. Keep enticing
him closer, very gradually. If he balks at picking up a treat,
toss another one closer to him.

Be very gentle with him. No sudden moves, no loud voices, no
yelling. Give him a "safe place", like a small crate with an
open door.

Hope this helps.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old February 14th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

wrote in message
I recently adopted a Chihuahua, who was physically and mentally
abused. His owners did not care for him what so ever, I know gaining
trust back in a dog takes a very long time. But anyone have some
ideas, on how to help this dog become more of a people person, He
won't come out of the corner in my officer and if you get to close he
will snap...I've had 3 Chihuahuas' so far, and my mom breeds them, But
I want to know what other people have done, or do to help this dog
feel like he is at home, and safe.

I'd get a wooden spoon with some peanut butter and see if he will lick it.
Or drop treats near my feet.
I know of feral keeshonden and samoyeds - who were terrified of humans, who
eventually came around and became wonderful pets. I hope your cho can too.