retired greyhounds

Old October 20th 03, 08:56 PM
Doug Dawson

Default retired greyhounds

My family is currently looking into adopting a retired racer, and I'm
looking for advice.

I've been doing what research I can, and we have two primary issues.
First, we have a 6 year old son. A very energetic 6 year old son, but
one who has been scared of some dogs in the past (we had to give our
Australian Shepherd/Lab mix to a family friend because of incompatibility
with our son and because of barking problems). When we met some greyhounds
at a rescue organization display, though, he took to them wonderfully.
Is this workable? We know he's not scared of the dogs, but we're concerned
he might scare them with his energy or occasional shouting.

Secondly, my wife and I both work. The reading I've been able to do seems
to vary a bit here. Would a greyhound be fine on his/her own for 9 hours
a day? What about 2 of them?

Old October 20th 03, 09:23 PM
Sunflower

"Doug Dawson" wrote in message
[...]

As a rescue group representative, we would not consider you a good candidate
for adoption of any animal, whether dog, cat, ferret, or snake. "Had to
give" a previous dog away shows little committment to pet ownership and the
problems that go with it. (And there is no other phrase in the English
language that a rescue worker hates any more, unless it's "I didn't know she
was pregnant!") If your son was afraid of dogs, then why did you get one in
the first place? "Barking problems" are issues that can be solved with a
committment to training. It sounds as if your family doesn't have the time
or committment to give most pets. Don't adopt any animal unless you can
provide that animal with a home forever, regardless of the issues. Pets
aren't accessories to be changed at will or given away because they don't
please you any longer.