Your opinion on dog's condition - should it be put down?

Old February 14th 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior, rec.pets
HiC

Default Your opinion on dog's condition - should it be put down?

My friend has a 12 year old dog that's clearly having problems. It's
consistenly incontinent - both #1 & #2, which I witnessed and helped
clean up last night. I last saw the dog a few months ago and since
then it's obviously developed some problems walking and his hind
quarters have atrophied noticeably. She says it's due to arthritis.
His rear legs have a very stilted gait and tremble when his weight is
on them. He seems to gets a little better when he moves around for a
while.

The dog has always had a somewhat hyperactive personality and her
personal circumstances dictate that the dog has to spend a large
portion of it's life in a large cage. I can't imagine sitting around
like that is helping his condition.

The only dog I've ever had was out of my life when it was still young
so I have no experience with caring for an old dog.

Any thoughts?
Old February 14th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets
Beth In Alaska

"HiC" wrote in message
[...]

Its a personal decision thats very hard to make. Someone here helped me
decide when it was time to put Old Dog Rexer down (I think melinda was the
one who made the suggestion) and her suggestion was to think of the dogs
three favorite things (with rexer; eating, riding in the car, playing with
Kavik) and when he can no longer do at least two of those, its a good time
to consider putting him down. I decided it wasnt time yet after that
excellent advice - he could still eat and play with the puppy (he didn't
like going down the stairs to the car though). Laterl he got very sick and
never recovered enough to walk and then there was no quality of life, and we
put him to sleep. It was still a crappy decision.

I'm wondering if the dog you describe has DM and not arthritis - although
obviously I'm not a vet and can't diagnose him even if i saw the dog in
person but the incontinence makes me wonder.

Old February 15th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:48:57 -0800 (PST), HiC
wrote:

[...]

Diddy, a poster I respect, said, "I feel an owner must be ready before
letting go. This owner obviously doesn't feel it's "time" yet, and I
have to support that."

Agreed, this owner is not ready. However, in my opinion, she should have
been ready before now.

Reasons for euthanasia:
1. 12 year old--not ancient, but most of his life is behind him.
2. consistenly incontinent - both #1 & #2--I can't believe this is
how he wants to exist.
3. hind quarters have atrophied--nothing pleasant about that
4. has to spend a large portion of it's life in a large cage.--borders
on cruelty, in my opinion.

Reasons against euthanasia:
1. "He seems to gets a little better when he moves around for a while."

So do I, but I don't spend most of my time in a cage.

This is always a tough question, and draws a wide variety views. My
heart breaks for dogs, and their owners, in this situation. However,
personally, I could never force my dog to exist like this.

As an aside, a senior Rottweiller was brought to the shelter today, to
be killed--euthanized. The dog's left rear leg contained an internal
growth that made that leg about ten pounds heavier than his normal leg.
The swollen area was almost as hard as stone.

I can empathize with lacking funds for corrective surgery, but I can't
comprehend making a dear friend suffer with such an ailment.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old February 15th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Michael A. Ball wrote:
2. consistenly incontinent - both #1 & #2--I can't believe this is
how he wants to exist.

I don't think that's a reason to euthanize, myself. I don't
mind cleaning up after an elderly dog who's otherwise doing
okay. However, combined with the generalized muscle atrophy
in the hind end I'd tend to want to look at degenerative
myelopathy or a lower motor neuron disease. With different
vet care the dog could probably be doing somewhat better but
not a lot - those aren't treatable. I'm not saying that's
what the problem is, but that it sure sounds like it and if
it were my dog I'd want to know one way or the other.

4. has to spend a large portion of it's life in a large cage.--borders
on cruelty, in my opinion.

I think so, too.

I've had two dogs with similar symptoms towards the end. In
my experience you can tell when the dog has given up, but
that crate thing would influence my decision a lot.

My vet's advice has been to take a week and watch the dog,
and if the bad days outnumber the good days, it's time. I
think that's good advice if you're really not sure.