Dogs and mercury in fish

Old February 17th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

Default Dogs and mercury in fish

Having a discussion in another group, the mention of fish and mercury came
up.

There have been recommendations that we human limit our fish consumption to
twice a week (or whatever) because of the high mercury content in some fish.

With fish in so many dog foods and treats, is there any such recommendation
for dogs? (Or cats, for that matter.) Is the mercury a problem for them as
well?

What about dogs in the mushing community? We think of them getting a lot of
fish - and I remember that people in Alaska used to dry cod for their dogs -
so while I'm sure that many mushers use a commercial diet, what about those
that supplement with a lot of fish?

Thanks,
Judy

Old February 17th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Judy wrote:
What about dogs in the mushing community? We think of them getting a lot of
fish - and I remember that people in Alaska used to dry cod for their dogs -
so while I'm sure that many mushers use a commercial diet, what about those
that supplement with a lot of fish?

Mercury is less of a problem in salmon, which is typically
what people in Alaska who feed fish use. There is a problem
with farm-raised salmon from the Atlantic (PCBs, dioxin,
etc.) but wild Salmon from the Pacific are much better.

I eat a lot of fish (it's great for you and tastes good) and
I'm pretty horrified by the state of the fish population.
Here in NY, the state DEC has a long, long, long list of
locally-caught fish you shouldn't eat because of mercury and
other crap carried in on winds from the midwest.

Anyway, I no longer give my dogs much fish, and when I use
fish oil it's typically from menhaden, anchovies, and other
relatively safe fish.

Old February 18th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Anyway, I no longer give my dogs much fish, and when I use
fish oil it's typically from menhaden, anchovies, and other
relatively safe fish.

The dogs eat Solid Gold, which contains Salmon meal. On the package, it
says wild salmon, not farmed, so I assume that heavy metals is not as much
of an issue. They also get Lakse Kronch Salmon treats (stinks up to high
heaven), which also contains wild salmon, according to the manufacturer.

As for eating fish ourselves, sustainability is also an issue. I like fish,
and try to find the ones that aren't over-fished.

Suja

DOGS & GOLD FISH PONDS [email protected] Dog health 2 December 6th 03 07:06 AM
DOGS & GOLD FISH PONDS [email protected] Dog health 0 December 5th 03 08:46 AM
OT - go fish J1Boss Dog behavior 36 October 17th 03 07:17 PM
OT - go fish J1Boss Dog behavior 0 October 17th 03 01:11 PM
OT - go fish J1Boss Dog behavior 0 October 17th 03 01:11 PM