New cocker spaniel puppy in house- House Training

Old February 17th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BruceR817

Default New cocker spaniel puppy in house- House Training

The last dog, we had, died at 13 1/2, and he was a regular sized
daschund. I don't remember it being much of an issue for him to get
house trained.

This cocker spaniel is taken out very frequently, and we are using
crate training since we both work during the day. He does fine with
that, and he goes outside when we take him.

We've only had him a week, he's 11 weeks old, and we wonder when
should we begin to see progress at getting him to stop peeing and
pooping in the house, even right after he goes out, or at other times
that are unpredictable. Again, he is on a good enough schedule where
we take him out after sleep, his naps, and after period of confinement
in the crate.

He does not poop or pee in the crate, but he does in his play pen, or
whereever else he decides to go in the house, and we are watching him
very closely when he is loose .

How long is going to be before he will do what is expected of him
without having accidents inside?

Thanks,

Bruce
Old February 17th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
BruceR817 wrote:

but he does in his play pen, or
whereever else he decides to go in the house, and we are watching him
very closely when he is loose .

Not quite closely enough! I know, it's hard. Puppies can disappear
with the speed of light though, so using gates, doors, tethers, etc can
give you enough time to notice that he feels the urge.

How long is going to be before he will do what is expected of him
without having accidents inside?

I think mot puppies other than some toy breeds, are becoming pretty
reliable by 3.5-4 months. That assumes a good schedule of eating and
taking out, and good supervision. Praise for going in the right place
makes the biggest difference, but disappointment for mistakes helps too.
Even so, minimize them with the use of some tools and you'll speed
things along a lot faster.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 17th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BruceR817

On Feb 17, 12:46*pm, Janet Boss
wrote:
In article
,

*BruceR817 wrote:
but he does in his play pen, or
whereever else he decides to go in the house, and we are watching him
very closely when he is loose .

Not quite closely enough! *I know, it's hard. *Puppies can disappear
with the speed of light though, so using gates, doors, tethers, etc can
give you enough time to notice that he feels the urge.

Actually, he doesn't sniff much or show much in the way of signs
inside before he goes like what he does when he goes outside, so by
you the time you see him squat, its too late to do anything about it
except take him outside and clean up the mess.
Old February 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
BruceR817 wrote:

Actually, he doesn't sniff much or show much in the way of signs
inside before he goes like what he does when he goes outside, so by
you the time you see him squat, its too late to do anything about it
except take him outside and clean up the mess.

short puppies are harder Not too late for an "ohhh - noooo - we don't
do that INSIDE, we go OUTSIDE" and scoop him up and carry him out on his
back, ask him to go and if he lets out even a drop, huge praise. What
are you cleaning with and on what surfaces?

--
Janet Boss
Old February 17th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

BruceR817 wrote in news:b9ff3dfd-c127-
:

Actually, he doesn't sniff much or show much in the way of signs
inside before he goes like what he does when he goes outside, so
by you the time you see him squat, its too late to do anything
about it except take him outside and clean up the mess.

In which case, I'd be tethering him to me. I think the most
important part of house training is making sure the dog doesn't have
an opportunity to make mistakes, because every single accident
undermines whatever success you've had. It's a pain in the neck, but
the more you can minimize accidents (personally, I shoot for 0), the
more quickly he'll be housebroken.

Also, you say you take him out frequently, but you don't say *how*
frequently. Apparently, it's not frequently enough. I'd add more
outside trips, making sure to go out with him and praise him when he
potties.

As for the play pen, my guess is that it's too big. A combination of
tethering and crating, instead of putting him in the play pen, should
work better, at least until he's more reliable. You can expand his
range once he starts to get the idea, including slowly adding back
play pen time.

--
Shelly
Old February 18th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BruceR817

On Feb 17, 1:03*pm, Shelly wrote:
[...]

At times as frequently as five or ten minutes apart, when it appears
that he hasn't gone in a while.... otherwise no more than 30 minutes
to an hour apart at the most..
we've had one accident on Sat and two today....

Shellyhttp://www.cat-sidh.net(the Mother Ship)http://esther.cat-sidh.net(Letters to Esther)

Old February 18th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BruceR817

* What are you cleaning with and on what surfaces?

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

wiping it clean with paper towels when its on the tile, and then a
damp cloth if needed, then once that is dryed, usually putting down
some Febreze or something like that to try and kill the scent. If it
is pee on the carpet, then blotting with paper towels, most of that
beeds up on the top, so I guess the scotch guard is holding up
well... still applying some febreeze to try and kill the scent he
might otherwise pick up on

when its on this thin rug on top of tile, then we blot as well as
possible, then I get a paper towell and stand on it with my shoe, to
absorb any left over liquid.... then febreeze that.... haven't seemed
to have any repeated spots used.

Old February 18th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

BruceR817 spoke these words of wisdom in
:

On Feb 17, 1:03*pm, Shelly wrote:
[...]

Shelly gave excellent advice. Yes the puppy would be tethered to me. Larger
Dachshunds tend to be easier to housetrain than smaller ones. And i have no
idea how to compare Cocker Spaniels to housebreaking Dachshunds. But i do
know each and every dog is an individual. Smaller dogs tend to have less
care from the breeder side. Having a medium size breed, I make sure any
puppies I whelp are housebroken before going to their new homes. I figure
every advantage gained, having them trained as far as basic obedience and
housebreaking to make their transition in their new home easier, is better
for all. The puppy needs every advantage so they still love it when it
starts chewing and shedding

I have noticed that many smaller dog breeders take the attititude, let the
mother raise the pups, we wean, take the pups, sell them, and let the
owners deal with the pup. We have your money, too bad, so sad, GOODBYE!

Perhaps your previous standard dachshund came from a decent breeder, so you
don't remember the housebreaking issues?

At any rate, if you follow the advice you have been given, housebreaking
will soon be long forgotten memories, and on your way to many years of
happy relationships

Old February 18th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
BruceR817 wrote:

still applying some febreeze to try and kill the scent he
might otherwise pick up on

Febreeze isn't enzymatic. Use something like Nature's Miracle, or even
an OXY product. On carpet, start cleaning with product from the outside
in. Urine tends to spread outward underneath the carpet, through the
pad. I generally say clean a circle inward, thats about 1.5-2 times the
size of the puddle.

--
Janet Boss