Common Foods Harmful to Pets

Old February 20th 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Huso

Default Common Foods Harmful to Pets

Common Foods Harmful to Pets

As responsible pet owners we must be diligent about protecting our
pets from harm. Besides taking care of their basic safety needs and
seeing that they get regular veterinary care, this should also include
closely monitoring the foods they eat. This is especially true if you
are feeding your dog or cat any type of human food.

Some people have always given their pets human food as a treat in
addition to their own dog or cat chow. However, in light of the recent
pet food recalls throughout the United States and some other regions,
many pet parents are opting to make their own, completely forgoing
commercially made pet foods.

While this may offer peace of mind for some, it may not be safe
without knowing what foods you can and can't give to your pet, as well
as learning their exact nutritional needs.

Before you head to the cupboard or pantry to prepare your pet's next
meal, make it a point to learn what foods and products may actually do
your dog or cat more harm than good.

Common foods that are harmful to pets include:

* Chocolate
* Coffee, caffeine
* Alcohol
* Xylitol
* Grapes
* Raisins
* Avocados
* Macadamia nuts
* Onions
* Garlic
* Chives
* Milk
* Raw or undercooked meat
* Raw eggs
* Bones
* Yeast dough

Many people may be surprised to see milk on the list of foods that can
be harmful to our pets. Although they may like the taste, cats and
dogs, unlike most humans, do not have enough lactase, which is the
enzyme needed to break down the lactose in milk. Milk, as well as
other milk-based dairy products, may cause digestive difficulties in
pets, particularly dogs. Diarrhea, upset stomach, and even vomiting
can occur, especially in younger pets, after drinking milk.

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener commonly used in products labeled
"sugar-free," is extremely harmful to animals, especially dogs,
although perfectly safe for human consumption. Xylitol, which causes
an excess of insulin production in most types of animals possibly
leading to liver failure, can be found in snacks such as baked goods,
candy, gum, and even in certain toothpastes.

Warning signs of xylitol poisoning include:

* Vomiting
* Lethargy
* Loss of muscle coordination
* Seizures

If you think that your dog or cat may have eaten something toxic,
immediately contact your veterinarian or your local poison control
center without delay.

Pet Health Care Tips
http://pethealthcaretips.blogspot.com/
Old February 21st 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
C J Campbell

On 2008-02-20 10:35:13 -0800, Huso said:

[...]

I am rather surprised at raw eggs, considering that these were a
primary food source during their evolution and are still eaten by wild
dogs and cats today. In fact, they probably did not cook their meat,
either, and they swallowed the bones. Come to think of it, they still
swallow the bones of mice and other things they catch. One wonders how
the critters ever managed to get along without us. How do puppies and
kittens break down lactose from their mothers' milk, especially given
that they are young?

To be honest, there are other things that I would rather my dog did not
eat, such as barnacles. She crunches them up like popcorn. Live crabs,
too. Even the occasional clam that she digs up. Those shells are murder
on her teeth and the gills in crabs are said to be poisonous.

How about houseflies? Our dog and my mother's cat eat these things, as
well as wasps, hornets and spiders. Are they okay? Dragonflies? Other
insects? Frogs? Is it okay for them to drink from mud puddles?

Okay, I don't need to deliberately give my pets things that are
harmful, but posts like this seem to completely ignore the realities of
pet ownership. You cannot keep the pet in a protective bubble all of
its life. That would be extremely cruel as well.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 25th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Dale Atkin

Why has this message been repeat posted to multiple groups under various
names (with identical content?)

Pet Health Care Tips
http://pethealthcaretips.blogspot.com/

Me thinks you're fishing for clicks.